Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2009, 09:45 PM   #1

GIO Beast_Defeating Kill Switch & Brake Lockout

First, I have a defective kill switch/ light assy. Bike wont start unless lights are on if you can believe it. I know the kill switch must be pushed back in to start the bike, no problems there, but take my word for it, the contacts in there are loose or broken.

I find the brake safety switch the biggest PITA since the advent of the firearms registry. I want them both gone.

If anyone has yanked (or bridged) a couple of wires to defeat both of these nightmares, would you share please?

I take full responsability for any (death-injuries-mutilation) that may occur from my DELIBERATE circumventing the the manufacturers safety features.

I'm sort of looking for a "splice the yellow and green going in to the brake lever assy" type answer.

I dont know how folks start these things if you need: starter button- choke-throttle & brake lever at the same time....

Old 10-12-2009, 02:22 AM   #2

Mine sounds a bit different (it's an '07). To respond to your last question, I step on the brake rather than pull the front brake lever. It's not bad that way; pop it in neutral, step on the brake pedal, set the choke, hit the starter and rev it up. Sounds like a lot, but it quickly becomes second nature.

I'd likely defeat the brake switches, but too many others take my quad for a spin, and I don't want anyone to get hurt.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-12-2009, 10:12 AM   #3

My choke appears to have a return spring...it cannot be "set" but must be held in position else it returns to "off".

I tried the foot brake idea earlier and that would have been great, but possibly they changed something from the two models...depressing foot brake would not allow it to start (back when it was running fine).

I think the only reason it seems like such a pain is beaause of my recent carb troubles as per the other thread...I have probably tried to start it more times in one night than 2 months worth of normal use.

Thank You

Pete

Old 10-12-2009, 11:52 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCD
...I tried the foot brake idea earlier and that would have been great, but possibly they changed something from the two models...depressing foot brake would not allow it to start (back when it was running fine)....
Do you have a brake switch attached to the rear brake lever? If so it should work. Applying either brake will allow the quad to start. To see if the brake switch is working turn on the ignition switch and look at the brake light. If the brake light is on then the safety interlock is satisfied.

The rear brake switch is adjustable and has to be set up. On my quad (not a Giovanni) this switch was forever a problem. I finally got sick of twiddling with it and bought a used Honda 750 brake switch (eBay - $6.00 USD) and installed it. I had to stretch the spring that pulled on the switch a little to make it reach, but otherwise it bolted right in and has been working for about 2 years now.

Old 10-12-2009, 03:05 PM   #5

Hello Lynn
Not sure about the switch attached to rear brake foot lever, will take me 10 seconds to go and trace it, but I've been futzing with the carb and trying to hurry as work beckons...trying to rush things never pays of of course.

You and Weldangrind gave me a good idea though...if the rear foot brake is not connected to the switch, then it will be soon.

I'll remove the lockout from the front brakes and see if I can can rig it to the foot brake.

Pete

Old 10-13-2009, 01:03 AM   #6

LynnEdwards, thanks for the tip. I was riding my Beast today, and I noticed that I really have to stomp on the pedal to allow the engine to start. I'll be sure to adjust it for now and replace it in the future.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-13-2009, 01:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
LynnEdwards, thanks for the tip. I was riding my Beast today, and I noticed that I really have to stomp on the pedal to allow the engine to start. I'll be sure to adjust it for now and replace it in the future.
That answers the question as to whether my beast has..totally forgot to trace the wires back today. Thanks again Weldangrind & Lynn

Old 10-14-2009, 01:20 AM   #8

To put this to bed, yes, the switch is connected to the foot brake. No, mine is not working due to half the switch being melted from it being too close to the exhaust.

looks like that switch takes 2 wires, one from the lever on the bars and the other from the pedal. Guess my lever wire is still connected internally, but the foot pedal wire must have melted off inside.

Will add new switch to the list

Old 10-15-2009, 03:01 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Mine sounds a bit different (it's an '07). To respond to your last question, I step on the brake rather than pull the front brake lever. It's not bad that way; pop it in neutral, step on the brake pedal, set the choke, hit the starter and rev it up. Sounds like a lot, but it quickly becomes second nature.

I'd likely defeat the brake switches, but too many others take my quad for a spin, and I don't want anyone to get hurt.
It just crossed my mind (was a short trip) that the pin with a knob on the end of it that sticks up from the throttle lever assy. is the parking brake.

If I have too many more seniors moments like this, its time to hang em up and join a bridge club.

Old 10-15-2009, 10:07 AM   #10

There's always Canasta and Early Bird Bingo.

That parking brake is really handy. My daughter's 150 Monster has hand brakes only, so both brakes can be activated as parking brakes.