Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2009, 11:18 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynec
I bounced my big fat personage on the bike and could not get with-in 2 inches.....its right at the pivot point.
That was awesome.

Maybe it's a good idea to remove the rear shock and cycle the swingarm to see if it would make contact, in the event the rear shock broke on you.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-23-2009, 02:51 AM   #17

I agree with the "pick up a wrench and do something" philosophy espoused by others here. As far as adding to the thread, the more the merrier!
I'm not a huge fan of that pipe hanging plumbers strap, although I have a ton of it. It works great when stationary but it work hardens quickly and snaps.

That being said I'm sure it will last for years where you have it, just giving you another frame of reference.

Are you painting the underside of the body panels while you have it apart?

Old 11-23-2009, 07:04 AM   #18

No paint for now.....I am still mulling over some fender extentions with epoxy resin and fibreglass. Did a little(very little) mudding last week and wore lots. I have done a little boat building so am comfortable using epoxy.
If the shock were removed and the swingarm did slam up it would drive the battery up about an inch or so. There it would meet the cushion of the uni....waynec

Old 12-27-2009, 09:34 AM   #19

Well i got a new battery from Canadian Tire, i went up to a 12AH and used the left over steel shipping frame from my beast to fab up a new battery box and i also mounted it like my T1 and yours PCD, i'll get some shots later on today after i paint it up and get the foam mounted on it.

I also made two vertical cuts into the old battery box and then bent the front pc down til it snapped off, now there is tons of room for the UNI air filter and the old battery box still provides some protection from crap getting on the filter, i'll get pics of that in my next post too.

Old 12-27-2009, 11:39 AM   #20

That's a really good idea, even if you stay with the stock battery size. I hadn't thought of using part of the factory box as a filter shield. Thanks.

BTW, I haven't seen Pete around here for some time. I tried to send a PM, but it just hung in the Outbox. I hope he's ok.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 12-27-2009, 04:13 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
That's a really good idea, even if you stay with the stock battery size. I hadn't thought of using part of the factory box as a filter shield. Thanks.

BTW, I haven't seen Pete around here for some time. I tried to send a PM, but it just hung in the Outbox. I hope he's ok.
Yeah it's been awile since PCD has posted here, i did happen to notice him outbidding me last night on a few quads, neither of us won it though.

OK, here's my progress today, finished off the battery box and got it painted and mounted, it's actually quite a nice fit in that postion and the extra air filter room is well worth it, i think i may even have room for a small toolkit in there as well.

Here's a few pics of the battery box i made from the steel crating material that my beast was shipped in, i'm not sure what would be a bigger PITA, making square holes in 3/16" steel as i wanted to use carriage bolts, or using regualr bolts and having them vibrate a hole into the battery........i opted for the square holes and carriage bolts and some strategically placed foam ( from an old mouse pad ) to protect the battery.

And the NEW air filter clearance shot.......

Old 12-27-2009, 04:19 PM   #22

Nice work! Your new box follows the frame line nicely, and the filter looks right at home.

Instead of carriage bolts, could you have just drilled a round hole and then welded hex head bolts in, or does that present a clearance problem?

Old 12-27-2009, 04:22 PM   #23

That looks really good! Gives you tons of room for the air cleaner as well. Very professional looking .

Old 12-27-2009, 04:23 PM   #24

Well i kinda wanted a smooth surface so there was no potential to vibrate a hole in the battery, even both carriage bolts have foam over them too, can never be too safe. I also consider welding in some hex head bolts and then grinding them down smooth, but as always the quick heat/cool cycle could weaken the bolts and i sure don't want this 10lb box of acid falling off anytime soon.

Old 12-27-2009, 04:28 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICRider
That looks really good! Gives you tons of room for the air cleaner as well. Very professional looking .
Thanks, after building 40 microsprints from scratch i have learned a few tricks and tips in the welding and fabrication department.

Now that the air filter can breath much better and that Monster Performance pipe is on, after rejetting, this thing is going to be a BEAST, much better than before.

I'm also going to start working on a Beast logo for my quad which if it looks good and is no too much of a PITA to cut out than i might be offereing some out to my fellow Chinariders Beast riders here, i'll post the logo when i'm happy with it, if i decide to send some out then i will let you guys pick the colors you need.

Old 12-28-2009, 04:49 PM   #26

waynev that is some excellent work there on the battery box. I'm impressed!

Old 12-28-2009, 04:58 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboT
Thanks T, i was going to get my friend to CNC a new battery box out of aluminum, but with all the left over angle and flatbar from the shipping frames that all my toys came in i decided to just weld one up.

Old 12-28-2009, 05:24 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynev
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboT
Thanks T, i was going to get my friend to CNC a new battery box out of aluminum, but with all the left over angle and flatbar from the shipping frames that all my toys came in i decided to just weld one up.
That is a great idea. As you know I've had a bunch of those quads here from the box, and I had been holding on to the metal for a while, since I don't like throwing things out.. but I just couldn't sit on the piles of junk I had here anymore and have been doing cleanup ever since we acquired the pickup, so I had to get rid of them..

Old 12-28-2009, 10:39 PM   #29

That's ok T, I have plenty.