Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2009, 11:33 AM   #1

2X New Mini Beasts Arrived...Any Tips..???

I just received my 2 mini beasts for the kids for x-mas...need some tips,precautions...

Been reading over this forum now for a couple days,so already have lots of info...excellent forum...

So it is pretty much general knowledge with these china bikes,to disassemble most bolts,and add loctite,agreed..??

I ordered the Cdi,makuni carb,and perf exhaust(before reading this forum about the install probs with exhaust for this bike,lol)...but just for one,but now I think i'll at least go ahead and order the carb and Cdi for the other one,just for the reliability,agreed..???

I see people replace the air filter element with a Uni part,at least for the full size beast,anyone have a part # for the Uni filter for the mini-beast.??, Is it just a drop in replacement..??

Also see most people replace the fuel filter and fuel line with quality stuff,does anyone offhand know the size,and length of fuel line I will need for one bike..???

Lastly the NGK plug...seen lots of different part # for different bikes,confused..LOL....What is the part # for the NGK plug for the 110cc mini-beast,and CT part # if possible...and gap..???

Replace shipping oil,put in new stuff,run for 20 min,drain,fill run for 2hrs or so,drain,fill for good till change time...agreed..??

Anything else pertain to this bike you guys can think of..???

Really appreciate it...

TIA...

Old 11-27-2009, 11:55 AM   #2

Re: 2X New Mini Beasts Arrived...Any Tips..???

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofit
I just received my 2 mini beasts for the kids for x-mas...need some tips,precautions...

Been reading over this forum now for a couple days,so already have lots of info...excellent forum...

So it is pretty much general knowledge with these china bikes,to disassemble most bolts,and add loctite,agreed..??

I ordered the Cdi,makuni carb,and perf exhaust(before reading this forum about the install probs with exhaust for this bike,lol)...but just for one,but now I think i'll at least go ahead and order the carb and Cdi for the other one,just for the reliability,agreed..??? Yes

I see people replace the air filter element with a Uni part,at least for the full size beast,anyone have a part # for the Uni filter for the mini-beast.??, Is it just a drop in replacement..??

Also see most people replace the fuel filter and fuel line with quality stuff,does anyone offhand know the size,and length of fuel line I will need for one bike..??? I get my fuel line from Piston Ring, just take in a peice and they will size you up. I usually buy 3-4 feet at a time as it's bulk. I get my fuel filters from Princess auto. They have a 1/4 " inlet outlet filter that works well and are usually on sale for about $1.50, regular price is only about $3.00.

Lastly the NGK plug...seen lots of different part # for different bikes,confused..LOL....What is the part # for the NGK plug for the 110cc mini-beast,and CT part # if possible...and gap..???I use an NGK C7HSA Plug.

Replace shipping oil,put in new stuff,run for 20 min,drain,fill run for 2hrs or so,drain,fill for good till change time...agreed..?? Yep

Anything else pertain to this bike you guys can think of..???

Really appreciate it...

TIA...

Go hard for two days, fix for five, then start over again!

Old 11-27-2009, 12:03 PM   #3

Re: 2X New Mini Beasts Arrived...Any Tips..???

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofit
Check out http://www.unifilter.com/online%20ca...universal.html You'll need to measure the OD of your carb throat to choose a Uni pod filter. You'll also need to determine whether you need a straight or 15 degree neck.

Choose a dual layer only, like this:

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-27-2009, 01:40 PM   #4

Congrats on your purchase of the mini beasts.. I bet there will be two happy kids come xmas time!

The exhaust is a bugger, either the stock ones or the performance exhaust. Lots of assembly on the Mini Beast so it might be a bit easier to put on before all the other stuff. When you get them, you'll need to put body parts, shocks, handlebars, exhaust, wheels etc all on. There is a lot more assembly time on them then any of the others I've seen.

I would suggest you put the exhaust on before the rear shock, just my from my experience it's a little easier..lot easier if you have a way to hold the body off the swingarm while doing so.

The good thing about the mini beast is they come with an fuel shutoff already on the fuel line, none of the other Gio quads I've had have this. Not that they are hard to add but nice for it to be there.

Good luck with it and have fun!

...share some pics of them when you can, we always like photos.

Old 11-27-2009, 02:01 PM   #5

If you have ordered the Mikuni performance carb, you will now have 2 fuel shut offs. The latest version comes with a built in petcock..

Old 11-27-2009, 07:15 PM   #6

Grats on the Mini-Beast's... Awesome little machines! The assembly on my sons machine went smoothly except for two things, number one was the dual exhaust as Turbo mentioned. I actually had to take the headpipe off of the engine and then kind of dry fit it all together. Then starting at the headpipe I put it all back together and tightened it up.

The other thing that was wonky on mine was that the axle was offset to the sprocket side. So, when I went to put the wheels on the left wheel went on too far and the right wheel was on so little that you couldn't put the nut on. I used a block of wood and a light hammer to gently tap on the left (sprocket) end of the axle to get it to slide to the right. I kept checking with the wheels until I had the spacing even. I used the block of wood to protect the threaded end of the axle. The sprocket and the brake rotor slid in their splines so I didn't have to loosen anything there.

Everything else went together smoothly. I think I was missing one two bolts for the front pushbar and one bolt hole wouldn't line up on it. But, its a solid little piece and three bolts hold it just fine. I could have opened up the hole on the push bar a bit (ovaled) it with a dremel to get it to fit, but I didn't bother. Another item for my to do list!

My son loves his and I am sure your kids will love theirs too! I was going to get him the Mini-Hummer but he wanted one "Just like dads!". Again, have fun and take your time putting them together.

Regards,
Stew

Old 11-27-2009, 08:20 PM   #7

Semi-hijack:

Have you posted photos of your two quads Stew? It might help new owners.

End hijack.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-27-2009, 08:52 PM   #8

Lol, nope... I don't have pics of em together. But mines a bright orange beast and my sons is the orange Mini-Beast. Too bad they didn't make the full sized Beast look more like the Mini

Old 11-27-2009, 09:01 PM   #9

Oh! And one other thing I learned the hard way... If you go to pick up the mini beast by the back end to slide it over, make sure your hand is under the grab bar and not the tail light. If you have your hand under the tail light it will break and drive plastic into your hand. Not nice!

Regards,
Stew

Old 11-27-2009, 09:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICRider
Oh! And one other thing I learned the hard way... If you go to pick up the mini beast by the back end to slide it over, make sure your hand is under the grab bar and not the tail light. If you have your hand under the tail light it will break and drive plastic into your hand. Not nice!

Regards,
Stew
Hahaha..

Glad I'm not the only moron who pulled that off.

I just replaced that thing a couple weeks ago.

Old 11-28-2009, 12:11 AM   #11

Thanks for the tips guys...!!!

Got them picked up at UPS and got them out to my brothers to assemble,and hide till x-mas....of course once there,had to open em up to check em out...

Only checked em out quick,didn't even pull them out of the crate,just cut the cardboard off.Looks like they recieved very minor damage in shipping,one front reflector on the pushbar is broken,but will just pull the other one off the other side,and the 2 back side ones anyway,as they are just gay lookin...only gonna be ridin in the daytime anyway...and have the headlight and taillight.....also one of the plastic footrests has a 2 inch split along one of the bends,but is not through to the edge,so not worried about it.....and when carrying the boxes from the trailer to the garage,a nut fell out on the ground,so may be missing some of them...not sure yet..

BUT...

I didn't order the front brakes on checkout for either one I got,and BOTH came with the front brakes...!!!!... .So figure all is good....

At first glance,these are very nice little machines,honestly wonder how they can make money,when you can buy this stuff so cheap.My brother is a Class A Mech,as well as ASE Certified,built numerous race cars,etc,he couldn't believe it has a hydraulic brake,and that the chinese motor casts look as good as they do...LOL...He's lookin forward to this LITTLE project...LOL...

One more question...gonna pick up some decent bike oil for them,as they are wet clutches,right..??....What viscocity do you guys recommend..??..They prob will have some winter use,gets to about -20 here at the worst...and about how much oil do these things hold..???...Need to know how much to buy...

I will definately post some pictures up,once they get assembled,won't be able to get at them for a week or so...

Thanks again guys..!!!....The boys are gonna LOVE these...!!

Old 11-28-2009, 12:54 AM   #12

Interested to know which front brake setup you got. If you search through the forums you'll see a discussion on the brakes. If you expect support from Gio on the brakes he'll want to charge you. Discussion for another time. The last two Gio's I've got had the front brakes on them which I never ordered, and got frustrated trying to get them to work! I'd suggest you have your boys rely on the back hydraulic brake, it works very well.

As for oil, some discussion regarding the clutches. The manual suggests 15/40, but others here have recommended 10/40 Motorcycle oil. Not sure what's best for a -20 ride. It doesn't get that cold here!

They take right around 1 L. Perhaps a little less or a little more.

You'll want a good supply of metric bolts and nuts, I'm sure you'll be missing more than just one. Not a bad thing to replace what you can anyhow.

Old 11-28-2009, 08:09 AM   #13

I will recommend assembling them now so that you can have all the bugs worked out before Christmas morning. If you need to order replacement parts you should have enough time to get them.

Oil 10w40 4-stroke oil or my favorite the shell rotunda 15w40 diesel oil.
They hold less than a liter. (noticed I used a Canadian term) Now you can probably get away with a lighter weight oil for the winter months.

Old 11-28-2009, 09:20 AM   #14

Yeah it gets cold here and i'm using Castrol 10w/40 4 stroke oil in my 3 gio atv's, so far so good, also on the little automatic quads i don't think they use a wet clutch, it's more like a dry centrifugal clutch, probably the reason why my 200cc beast oil get much dirtier then my son's 50cc CVT.

Old 11-28-2009, 01:11 PM   #15

waynev, I'm pretty sure that they use a wet centrifugal clutch, not a dry CVT.