Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2010, 07:45 PM   #1

who gets hurt?

I read some posts about kids,and while some do get hurt i found adults specially the ones who drink and ride are more of the problem.Typical ride spot here has most people with no helmets and riding double wearing shorts and tennis shoes.Most accidents seem to be two ways,looping out when climbing to steep a grade,or rolling over when going around a turn.A quad weighing several hundred pounds rolling over you or landing on top of you is bad,its like your a magnet,and cant get away!I just write this so new riders might think more about what theyre doing and put more effort into staying safe.

Old 01-31-2010, 08:22 PM   #2

Well adults are more likely to turn a blind eye to safety and do dumber things than kids.

Kids get hurt out of ignorance of the machine and speed in general, and that usually goes back to the adult not keeping the speed down enough or explaining the dangers properly to their kids.

My kids are quite young, and my youngest has tipped her quad over a few times, but at slow speeds. It was more because she was sliding off the seat and held onto the bars trying to right herself, and pulled it over. Not all the way on top of her though. I don't see it much differently than her falling off her pedal bike while learning to ride though, as she's likely doing similar speeds and who hasn't wiped out once or twice learning? Putting her on it at full speed when she's learning would just be ignorant and probably criminal in most people's minds too.

You'll find most members here are quite safety conscious. I've yet to see many riding pictures of anyone not wearing proper gear. That's likely because as enthusiasts of the machines, we're aware of the dangers and take the steps to properly prepare our machines, and our bodies for riding.

Old 01-31-2010, 08:31 PM   #3

KIDS GETTING HURT

I sell alot of 110 cc atvs and what alot of adults tell me is that their kids are so skilled that they even ride their 600 cc - 800 cc atvs... how stupid is this!!!!! they think it is reall macho that they casn ride around with the big bikes .. so these 110 cc will be nothing for them to handle.. my next thing that I say to them... DO THEY HAVE HELMETS..I as a seller can not make them ride safety or make them wear a helmet.. but I do get them to sign a waiver so they can not come back onto me... I would not EVER let a kid or adult ride without a helmet.. your head is like a pumpkin.. let along getting hurt falling off.. accidents do happen.. no matter how carefull you are... things just come up.. hopefully they are never serious.. I hope everyone makes kids ride safety even if they do not all the time.. do not be afraid to inforce this safe riding habit to others..

Old 01-31-2010, 09:35 PM   #4

Yep, my son always rides with his helmet, i have his 50cc GIO setup with the throttle governed right down and have also installed a remote start/stop with the key fob zip tied to my handlebars on my beast, i have also kept him on "flatland" til he gets more used to it an also leaning in the corners. I can't wait til he's big enough for the T1 Rebel 110cc that i also have, it's way more stable then his 50cc mini ATV, with that wide front end on the T1 it really takes alot to get it to highside.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:23 PM   #5

Well I'm an adult, supposed intellegent and highly educate guy and I almost rolled off a cliff yesterday. At least I had my helmet, boots, armored motorcycle jacket and pants on... :roll:

Actually I'd have been fine. It was not a sheer drop off, more like 45+ degrees. I could have stood there, but I'm glad my machine stopped (thank you Jesus) where it did.

Anyway, we all screw up, but we can control our exposure to risk by making wise choices in equipment, gear, and riding conditions.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
Well I'm an adult, supposed intellegent and highly educate guy and I almost rolled off a cliff yesterday. At least I had my helmet, boots, armored motorcycle jacket and pants on... :roll:

Actually I'd have been fine. It was not a sheer drop off, more like 45+ degrees. I could have stood there, but I'm glad my machine stopped (thank you Jesus) where it did.

Anyway, we all screw up, but we can control our exposure to risk by making wise choices in equipment, gear, and riding conditions.
One of my riding buddies up country used this line on me when I was nervous beside a drop off:
"Don't worry, you won't fall the way down, you'll hit a tree first.."

Somehow it didn't make me feel all the much better. :P

..and I never ride without a helmet...and I won't let me kids get on their quads without their helmet, long pants, boots, gloves and goggles. I think it's almost as enjoyable watching them get ready to ride, as it is their riding. They get an air of 'big person' to them while they're excitedly gearing up.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:31 AM   #7

I agree, Its fun to watch them gear up.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:03 PM   #8

I posted about the 110cc I bought for my kids on an automotive board I frequent and have been a member for years. You had to see the hornets nest that stirred up. #1, How could I even consider buying a Chinese piece of crap and #2, what an unfit parent I am for even considering putting my children on such a death trap, limb remover. IMO, it's all about the guidance, instruction and supervision. It's important to me that my kids understand how to own and safely operate a motorized pc of equipment. If you research it, most child injuries occur while they are operating an adult machine.

Joel

Old 02-01-2010, 08:14 PM   #9

We also have a good topic on safety gear in the misc. section.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:15 PM   #10

I believe most kids that are injure/killed are operating adult machines while not being supervised.

These are the instances that give atvs a bad rap.

They gain valuable skills for later in life.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:54 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoManzATV
I posted about the 110cc I bought for my kids on an automotive board I frequent and have been a member for years. You had to see the hornets nest that stirred up. #1, How could I even consider buying a Chinese piece of crap and #2, what an unfit parent I am for even considering putting my children on such a death trap, limb remover. IMO, it's all about the guidance, instruction and supervision. It's important to me that my kids understand how to own and safely operate a motorized pc of equipment. If you research it, most child injuries occur while they are operating an adult machine.

Joel
I'd bet more kids are injured riding their peddle bikes or jumping on trampolines than in ATV accidents. I don't have stats to back it up, but who here hasn't, in our youth, ridden down a hill on our peddle bike with our hands off the handlebars, wearing no helmet or safety gear, probably doing 15-25mph in the process, next to moving cars on the road?

I'm a bit nervous when my kids are on their quads, but they are always supervised and not going all that fast, considering.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:38 AM   #12

We never had helmets. I crashed dirt bikes when I was little and was fine. Some scrapes and bruises.

Blew a tire 2 up on an xr75 at full speed. That got interesting. Remember this was early 80s in rural IA. We had farm safety in school. Never heard anything about wearing a helmet.

Allen

Old 02-02-2010, 09:58 AM   #13

It was the same for me Allen. I didn't even own a helmet when my older brother got me a ~1970 Honda CT70 trail bike around 1982. I owned an Evil Knievel style 1970-80's helmet with my 1985 Yamaha 225 DX trike, but rarely wore it. Had some horrific crashes too. Things for the most part are more powerful, heavier and faster now. Times are different now. People are more aware of the consequences I guess. Safety gear is the way to go obviously.

Joel

Old 02-02-2010, 11:36 AM   #14

I wouldn't ride without it now. I am starting to get fragile. My bones no longer bend and parts are worn out.

It was good times, but with the low cost of helmets and gear its a no brainer. Plus the stuff looks good too.

Old 02-02-2010, 06:51 PM   #15

In addition to proper riding gear, I am a big fan of professional training. I took the ATV Safety Institute rider safety class before I started to ride my 250cc ATV in the mountains of Idaho. This class is very good for riders of all ages; I highly recommend it.

http://www.atvsafety.org/asi.cfm?spl...der%20Training

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894