Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2010, 12:56 PM   #61

OK that one is out! I liked the Zong engine, but I love your input and will avoid that one. Thanks

Old 02-27-2010, 02:41 AM   #62

Re: Updated thoughts on best ATV available today

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealWorld
I miss the Kentucky Donkey, I am hoping maybe he comes out of hiding and answers this question. I hope the rest of you will also comment. I am looking for a new sport 250 - 350. What would you guys buy if you were in the market.
Have no fear, the Donkey is here!!!!!!

Well....I've messed with 3 different Chinese ATvs over the course of almost a year now- and my current Vbike 300M I've had for almost a year....and all I can say is that you just never know what you're going to get with these things. You can order the same model from the same place and get two different bikes...

While my water-cooled 300M has been relatively problem-free, I must say that I don't use it much and when I do, I use it very gently and even then, I am just kind of waiting for something to break.

In the 10 months I've had it and with only about 100 miles on it, the chain adjustment is already at it's max.....so next time the chain stretches, it'll be time to remove a link.

Electrical system is degrading as expected (turn signals work in reverse [left is right...], one tail light quit working...sometimes the dash light comes on every time you squeeze the brakes.....

Nothing major has broken yet....but again, it is used infrequently and gingerly. Clutch adjustment also appears to be at it's limit. I've tried to sell it on and off for some time...no luck.

Not that it's too awful....but I am just kind of disgusted with the overall lack of quality and cheesiness....and I've given up my quest to mount a trailer hitch, as I noticed that the rear swing arm flexes alot just with me on it...and the stress of anything bigger than a lawn-tractor cart would likely create problems/kill it.

I don't hate the thing...and it does get me around the farm when need be...but I'm just ambivalent towards it.

On the plus side: The Loncin motor is a real trooper.

The only Chinese ATV I could heartily recommend is the discontinued Vbike 250cc water-cooled V4SW. For $1200 including shipping...it was a gem! (It even had a quality feel to it)

My feelings are, if you stay below $1300 and get a decent bike (luck of the draw) these can be a decent deal, especially for kids, or people who do infrequent and gentle riding...and if you don't mind the feeling of cheesiness.

I will no longer buy Chinese bikes though- I just don't feel they are worth it. I'd pay a little more and get a good used Jap bike. For all the trouble, time and effort one has to put into these things...they just are not worth it.

If I ever sell the 300M for a decent buck, I'm just going to do without an ATV- I'll just use the tractor...it may not be as fast or nimble....but I don't care.

While I can't say that my experience with Chinese ATvs has been bad or that I've lost anything.....I can say that I have not been thrilled with the quality and especially the lack of quality control and the evasiveness and intruthfulness of even the highly-rated "Tim" from Vbike.

And just to recap from a previous post: The Vbike 250T which is touted as an upgrade of the V4SW is in fact not an upgrade, but a downgrade. it is not as stable, and not as fast....and not of the same quality. While not a bad bike for the price and can be fun to ride....it's tipsy-ness would discourage me from recommending it.

My 3 Vbikes have represented 3 different manufacturers(Vbike just buys generic ATVs and calls them by their own name), I noticed that the parts on them all are pretty much all the same and can even be mixed and matched among different models and manufacturers. They just seem to cobble together whatever they have, and if they run out of one part halfway during a production run, they swap in something different- and even if it significantlyu changes the bikes specs, they don't even tell their dealers...and even send them mixed shipments.

If they would up their quality control a little and standardioze their parts and be more honest, they coulod have a rather decent low-priced product. And who's to ay that they won't do these things in the future? -Just as was the case with early Japanese products? But for now, I just wouldn't recommend these things. Not to say that you can't get a decent one....but it's largely luck if you do- unless you go to the showroom and test-ride and inspect an already assembled one. You just don't know what surprises (usually unpleasant) await you when you open a crate!

Oh, and by-the-way, RealWorld: How are you making out with that Virago-eque clone cruiser from Vbike (which they no longer sell)? I was very tempted to buy one of them! Kind of glad i didn't now, though.

Old 02-27-2010, 08:42 AM   #63

Great review and I greatly appreciate it. I have about the same experience and attitude toward the China ATV. I am sure there is a good one out there, but I am not willing to gamble on it any more. I wish I would have purchased the one you liked and had good luck with and then sold out of stupidity!!!! I will look up your phone number and call you on the bike. I have actually had good luck with the bike, but i will call and discuss it in detail. I won't have time to call until some time tomorrow.