Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2007, 10:03 PM   #1

lifan 200 grinding/vibration

Hi guys, I think my Lifan 200GY might have a problem. At mid level rpms in any gear I can feel something rough or like a vibration. Kind of hard to explain. It feels like the chain is wearing on the sides of the sprockets or something. I got the rear wheel off the ground tonight and adjusted my rear tire to make sure it was centered. I started the thing up and let the rear wheel turn in 1st through 3rd gear. Occasionally the chain would kind of bounce up and down and I could hear some kind of "rough" noise. The faster the wheel went the more often it made the noise, although there didnt seem to be any pattern to it. I am afraid it might be something going south internally, but I really know nothing about it. I just bought the bike a couple weeks ago and it only has a little over 1000 kilos on it. Basically still like new. Anyone have any ideas of what it could be? Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 03-26-2007, 10:21 PM   #2

Biplane,
Is your rear wheel centered on the rim, at higher speeds it will cause the bike to "bounce" and may cause a vibration?

Old 03-27-2007, 06:05 AM   #3

Hey Bipe! That chain should run smooooth all the time with only a wave kind of action. If it is jumping at all I would pull it off and soak it in used motor oil for a day, then hang it and let it drip down, wipe it with a rag. These bikes do not have a selaed O-ring type chain and you could have some links that are dry.

Old 03-27-2007, 07:30 AM   #4

A chain out of adjustment can drag on the swingarm, and can also be thrown forward from the front sprocket and into the engine cases.

If your machine has the OHC valvetrain, an out of adjustment cam chain can clatter against the passages in the motor.

Old 03-27-2007, 10:54 AM   #5

I'd drop the oil and check for metal. If all is good, I'd check chain tension, lube, and rear wheel alignment. You should have the pushrod engine so no cam chain, but the cam chain tensioner on these engines is NON adjustable anyway. How about motor mount bolts? Are they tight? I'd check everything for alignment and tightness and RUN IT!!!

Current Chinabikes: 2023 Titan DLX & 2022 Lifan KP Mini w/ 210cc BRT kit, 22 RWHP!

Old 03-28-2007, 08:25 PM   #6

THANKS

Hey guys, thanks for all the input. I made sure the rear tire was all lined up, and I lubed the chain. One of the two fixed it and now it is fine again. I was worried that it might have been internal, I have had dry chains before without sounding like that. I will be sure to lube it more often. Thanks again for the help.

Old 03-28-2007, 09:05 PM   #7

My vibration is getting worse as well. If its just sitting there and I give it some throttle (maybe half) it REALLY vibrates. Sounds like its coming from the engine area and behind the white side panels. Took off the passenger pegs and that didn't help any.
Rattles drive me nuts.
It's getting so bad that I'm shifting up into 5th quick so I can drive it in the lower RPM's. Sounds and feels like the whole thing is going to shake into pieces. :evil:
WTH!

Old 03-28-2007, 09:23 PM   #8

Send a message via MSN to dlunt
Hey biplane,
It probably wasn't used to not being lubed after every ride!
(FYI - he bought it from me)
I am kinda anal about lubing the chain everytime.

You might be getting a little vibration from where the chain rubs on the rubber piece on the frame. It was eating away on that.
I noticed when I changed out to a 42th sprocket that it started wearing more rubber off of it.
That is why I lubed it all the time. So the rubber dust wouldn't crud up the chain.
Use some WD-40 to clean the chain real well if it gets dirty.
It won't harm the o-rings.

If the rubber piece does wear down to the frame you may need to go over to Walmart and by a nylon cutting board and cut off a strip to replace the rubber. A few people on this forum have done that.