Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2010, 09:46 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash
Quote:
The rear sprocket is much easier to change, since you must remove the entire left crankcase cover to change the countershaft sprocket. Wink
thought I should mention that I was able to change my countershaft sprocket without removing the left crankcase cover. Granted it would have probably been easier to just remove the cover, i was able to fit my hands and socket wrench up underneath to remove and replace sprockets with a slight modification to the sockets overall depth.
Thank you for the tip, Vash! Indeed, there is a lot of space between the countershaft sprocket and the left crankcase cover, as you can see in the photograph below.

If you are patient, I am sure you can find a way to install a 14T, or 15T countershaft sprocket without removing the left crankcase cover. However, if you want to install a 13T, or 12T countershaft sprocket, you will need to install a circlip instead of the sprocket retainer; this will make the job much more difficult, if not impossible.

Countershaft sprocket inspection and replacement is certainly easier if you perform the left crankcase cover modification. It is also easier to inspect, and replace, both the countershaft sprocket seal, and the gearshift lever seal, if you modify the left crankcase cover.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 03-22-2010, 10:25 PM   #17

That looks to me like it's the original Yamaha setup with provision for the extra long countershaft and secondary bearing for the TW.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:57 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
That looks to me like it's the original Yamaha setup with provision for the extra long countershaft and secondary bearing for the TW.
That is exactly correct, Doc. The Zongshen 167FML engine is a faithful copy of the Yamaha TW200 engine. However, the Zong employs a shorter countershaft. Therefore, Zong owners can perform my left crankcase cover modification to simplify inspection, and replacement of the countershaft sprocket.

http://chinariders.net/modules.php?n...ewtopic&t=7559

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 03-22-2010, 11:53 PM   #19

It's interesting to see to what level the Chinese copied the Japanese. In a way it's a good thing, parts interchangeablity.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:29 PM   #20

i like the idea of the copies, especially with the way the Chinese companies are disappearing, and i wonder how long many of them expect to last (and that includes zong) with the way they are running their business. has anyone looked at the cpcs list to see whos approved 8O very short list. i would also like to know why some of the companies in japan dont have lawsuits against these copies
fired roketa,lifan and jet moto and apollo quit me who's next