Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2010, 08:23 PM   #1

Location: Wheeling, WV native currently living In Natchitoches, LA
Send a message via AIM to BrianW
A couple of questions.

Today, I rode my new Zong for 151 miles, putting the odo at almost 450 miles. Within that trip I was stranded on the highway for the easily-avoidable problem of running out of gas not only once, but two times! 8O I was lucky to have my dad riding with me to run to the gas station and get some fuel, or I woulda been SOLx2.8)

My first question is this, have any of you (not only Zong owners) ever rigged an emergency fuel can or jug to your bike? I was thinking of a way to rig something to the underside of the stock license plate/tail light bracket. It would be discreet and more importantly: available.

Question two, Is there any way to help the Zong breathe? Maybe drill some holes in the air box lid or put a conical filter on? It seems extremely restricted. Although, I do have the suggested Turbine Core 2 silencer coming in, do you think this will help the situation or should I search other options?

Old 04-11-2010, 08:38 PM   #2

does your tank have a reserve? For airflow you can get a UNI pod airfilter or similar filter for about $15 online or at a cycle shop. this will increase your airflow, but you will need to richen up your jetting/needle position to make a power difference and avoid running your engine very hot.

Old 04-11-2010, 08:41 PM   #3

Yes it has a reserve, but not much of one! The first time I ran out, I was about 5 miles away from the nearest station and the reserve got me about 2-2.5 of them. The second tine I was nearly 9 miles away and again, it got me about 2-2.5 miles before running out.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:31 PM   #4

I'll have to agree on the Uni filter....though I'm gun-shy on them as I dang near burned the Mrs 2LZ' Hensim to the ground with one.

The good part? It breathes real well. The drawback? It's mounted on the carb. Backfires fire right into them and if there's any gas vapor, it goes up like a ping pong ball between your legs and then you have huge flames surrounding the fuel cell if you're hanging on the side of a hill....like my firend was. 8O I went back to the stock box as it has a longer tube before the foam element.

I did run my extra Uni on my new GY.....but I got a bent piece of new radiator hose and mounted it 'off the carb' to try to eliminate that direct backfire hit into the oiled/fueled foam.

Concerning the fuel distance....all you can do is watch your miles, unless you want to strap on a lawn mower can or get a bigger tank.
Mrs 2LZ rode a Sportster for years. We tanked up constantly. My big V Twin never ran below half tank! 8)

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 04-11-2010, 09:39 PM   #5

I bet that's why Spud put the Clarke tank on his... Might be worth looking at? Though I have no idea what they are worth, might be pricey! Another option would be to carry a small fuel bottle with you that holds a couple of liters or something, would probably get you to the next gas station .

Old 04-11-2010, 09:44 PM   #6

for my airbox i took it apart and took the heat gun to the little black plastic restrictor plate in front of the mesh and cut it out by heating it up then cutting it. Now my bike doesn't get starved of air

Old 04-11-2010, 09:58 PM   #7

Re: A couple of questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW
...My first question is this, have any of you (not only Zong owners) ever rigged an emergency fuel can or jug to your bike? I was thinking of a way to rig something to the underside of the stock license plate/tail light bracket. It would be discreet and more importantly: available…
If you search the TW200 forum, you can find some interesting threads on this subject. For example, some of the TW200 owners are using small, metal fuel containers designed for backpackers.

http://tw200forum.com/forums/58824/ShowPost.aspx

Since I installed a 4.1-gallon, Clarke fuel tank, I now have two, new, 2-gallon, Rotopax fuel containers for sale. If you like, I will sell you one, or both of them.

http://www.rotopax.com/gasoline-pack...tv-ga-c-1.html

The Rotopax fuel containers don’t leak, unlike the Kolpin fuel containers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW
...Question two, Is there any way to help the Zong breathe? Maybe drill some holes in the air box lid or put a conical filter on? It seems extremely restricted. Although, I do have the suggested Turbine Core 2 silencer coming in, do you think this will help the situation or should I search other options?
Once again, if you search the TW200 forum, you will find a lot of information regarding air box modifications, and conical air filters.

http://tw200forum.com/forums/9572/ShowPost.aspx

If you are going to ride offroad, I would not install a conical air filter. Indeed, I personally think it is unwise to alter the airbox on a constant velocity carburetor. However, after you do some research, you can make your own decision.

In my experience, the Zong inhales quite well. I believe the main problem reducing power is the highly restrictive, stock muffler. If you want more power, I believe the FMF TC2 will be your best solution.

Also, the Zong is geared too high from the factory. If you install a smaller, 13T, or 14T countershaft sprocket, the bike will definitely perform better.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-11-2010, 09:58 PM   #8

on my gy-5 i can only get about 10 miles on the reserve, but if i tip the bike to the petcock side then the fuel from the lobe on the otherside of the tank will flow to the correct side. i would check and see if your tank has this defect

Old 04-11-2010, 10:45 PM   #9

I would not go to a conical filter. One, it will get dirty and perhaps fail. Another reason is CV carbs are an abject PIA to tune and I would leave well enough alone. Swaps pipes and jets, declare victory and move on.

Your dad has earned the right to bust your chops the rest of his life, you know that, right? :P

Old 04-11-2010, 11:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
I would not go to a conical filter. One, it will get dirty and perhaps fail. Another reason is CV carbs are an abject PIA to tune and I would leave well enough alone. Swaps pipes and jets, declare victory and move on.

Your dad has earned the right to bust your chops the rest of his life, you know that, right? :P
Once again, the wise physician has concisely summarized my exact thoughts on both subjects!

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-12-2010, 08:16 AM   #11

I do like Wild Alaskan sugested. Tipping/leaning the bike as far as possible to the side with the petcock has gotten me the last several miles needed to get gas many times.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:46 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal25
I do like Wild Alaskan sugested. Tipping/leaning the bike as far as possible to the side with the petcock has gotten me the last several miles needed to get gas many times.
Have done this before too.

My stock tank reserve was worthless also.

Allen

Old 04-12-2010, 09:08 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
He self-appointedly earned that right the day I bought a China bike. He is a major Jap-only enthusiast. Yet he is highly impressed with the accurateness of the gy-3 and even more impressed with the Zong. Maybe he's coming around... 8O

I'm gonna read up on this a little more and let you guys know what I end up doing. Thanks for all the input, as always!

Old 04-12-2010, 09:51 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild_Alaskan
on my gy-5 i can only get about 10 miles on the reserve, but if i tip the bike to the petcock side then the fuel from the lobe on the otherside of the tank will flow to the correct side. i would check and see if your tank has this defect
This technique definitely works for the Zong. I have employed this trick several times; but be forewared, it won't let you travel very far.

Since the Zong fuel tank only has a 0.2-gallon reserve, you need to be diligent to fill the fuel tank regularly. The reserve tank will only take let you travel another 15 miles. Tipping the bike to the side will get you a couple extra miles, at most.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 04-13-2010, 11:38 AM   #15

0.2 gallon reserve? Another WTH are the Chinese thinking?! :roll:

I'd be thinking a Clarke tank and a different petcock. :idea:

On the other hand I can't say much because Q does not have a tripmeter, and as a further irritant the odometer measures kilometers. When I gas up I memorize the last digits and calculate range based on that. On the bright side, I have a 1 gallon reserve good for about 70 miles.