Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2010, 06:51 PM   #1

wheel spacers yay or nay

as most of you probably know the stances on these atv's deffinatly arent anything close to as wide as a stance on a high end sport atv or otherwize. So i was just wondering if anyone has tried wheel spacers on these atvs to acheive a wider stance. if so or even if not what are your input on wheelspacers, what will fit and if the axles on these atvs can handle this kind of mod. thanks!

Old 04-30-2010, 08:55 PM   #2

I haven't tried spacers yet, but I did flip the rims on the front of my daughter's 150 to create a reverse rim effect. Flipping the rims and swapping them side for side maintained the proper tread direction and widened the track a bit.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-30-2010, 09:02 PM   #3

so your saying that you just switched the wheels around so that the offset made the stance wider? interesting i never checked if there was any offset in my wheels that may be worth checking.

Old 04-30-2010, 10:07 PM   #4

Didn't waynec do some wheel spacers on the back of his Beast?

Old 04-30-2010, 10:52 PM   #5

where might one buy this "the wheel spacer" it could be a nice thing to add to some of the kids atv
fired roketa,lifan and jet moto and apollo quit me who's next

Old 04-30-2010, 11:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil
where might one buy this "the wheel spacer" it could be a nice thing to add to some of the kids atv
The one I saw was home fab'd not sure what the OP has in mind.

Old 05-01-2010, 02:53 AM   #7

Google is your friend. :wink:

http://www.mud-throwers.com/inc/sdetail/439

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-02-2010, 12:58 AM   #8

you can get a full disk for like 80 or go for the cheaper sketchier version that are just like pegs on ebay its kinda weird dunno if they are trustable. so thats why im aksing you guys.

Old 05-11-2010, 06:26 PM   #9

found that with the front wheels a can switch them aorund to make that wider but ive been brainstorming with the rear and looking at it a lot and it seems that there really isnt any offset in those wheels. any other suggestions.

Old 05-11-2010, 06:48 PM   #10

I thought about that with our Beast, but I've found that it handles really well with a wide front track only. I also ride on bush trails quite a bit, and it's easier when the rear track is narrower than the front, because you know that the rear axle will easily follow you between trees if the front made it.

Besides, the name brand sport quads have a wider front than rear, and they seem to have it figured out.

Old 05-11-2010, 06:52 PM   #11

Well looking at the rear hubs i probably wouldn't try to go out too far, it will only add more stress to the hub and may cause failure, IMHO converting the rear end to a wider axle would be the best bet, but that is a pretty darn big project. Since the rear wheels are 8" you could probably see what "Douglas Wheels" have, we use these on our microsprints and they come in a varity of offsets, while the bolt pattern won't line up you should be able to drill new holes as most of the 8" rims come 4 on 4.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:15 PM   #12

thanks guys ill give a shot at just widening the front and if that doesnt work ill look into a bigger offset wheel for the back.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:54 PM   #13

i was think of making a longer upper and lower arm out of aluminum??? my gf uncle works at a aluminum shop.
YTX14-BS battery mod,gy6 carb 250cc,custom intake,125cc cf dirtbike muffler,MPR filter/intake,performance cdi,ngk iridium xi dpr8eix-9,performance coil pack and wire, pro taper handle bar, Gio air shocks, yam swing arm bus

Old 05-11-2010, 11:10 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyfa18
i was think of making a longer upper and lower arm out of aluminum??? my gf uncle works at a aluminum shop.
That would work, but for the difference in strength you should consider 4130 cond N chromoly steel tubing, it will be stronger and lighter than aluminum ones, i used to use aluminum rods for steering and radius rods on my microsprint, i found chromoly with threaded ends welded in was much stonger and came out a bit lighter than the aluminum ones i was using prevoiusly. One thing i noticed was that the front ends on our beasts are already wider than the back, widening the front more is pretty easy, but i wish there was an easier way to widen the back out without compromising the cheapy stock hubs.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:59 AM   #15

I think someone on here had a Hibird ATV and the rear wheels were set inwards of the front wheels. It did seem odd at the time but not any more. I was watching ATV races on ice and the anouncer pointed out the same thing on the race ATV's. He said it is to transfer weight to the outside tire for cornering traction. Then my experience with dirt track cars hit me and all the crazy thing they do to get the weight transfer to that outside wheel.