Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2007, 01:49 PM   #46

Cool, I think I got it.

Looks like real good work, and you did a good job explaining the function.

Old 04-05-2007, 02:49 PM   #47

Thanks. If this helps, here's the 2 components highlighted.

Current Chinabikes: 2023 Titan DLX & 2022 Lifan KP Mini w/ 210cc BRT kit, 22 RWHP!

Old 04-06-2007, 10:14 PM   #48

Great explanation of what you did and how it works, red2003! It looks good and better yet, it sounds like it works much better than the stock linkage.

I have narrowed down my search for a shock. The shock in the picture below is the stock Showa from a standard Buell XB motorcycle. I had 2 of these last year but sold them on ebay. It should be easy enough to find another one. Hopefully, it will be cheap! I forget the length of the shock but 10" or so! It should be short enough to not require extensive rebuilding of the frame or swingarm mount. The stock linkage will be dumped. The XB shock gives around 5.5" of travel.

It even has a pretty blue spring that matches my bike!

2017 Coleman CT200U
1978 Yamaha SR500E
1979 Yamaha XS650 Special II

Old 04-20-2007, 11:11 AM   #49

red2003,
After much studying lastnight, of different designs, I can see what you did with your new links. My links were exactly backwards from the way you did your's. Because the links were backwards they did not work properly and my suspension was essentially a hardtail. It would not move at all. The stock Viva shock was resting on the rear link, locking the suspension in place. What a poor design! I love the bike but it's going to be hard to recommend this bike to friends. Two of them are looking at the Viva now! I may suggest the Rocketa as a better bike. It has the OHC engine but I'm not sure about the rear suspension.

I appreciate all the work you did on this and that you posted pictures of what you did here. I wanted to revive your thread and say that I plan to use your pattern. Mine will use two outboard links. This will keep the links out of the way and hopefully make the linkage easier to fabricate by using flat steel for the two links.

What a great Forum we have here in chinariders.net!
2017 Coleman CT200U
1978 Yamaha SR500E
1979 Yamaha XS650 Special II

Old 04-20-2007, 11:59 AM   #50

That sounds good Sam. To be honest, I'm not sure I would recommend the Roketa either. The frame, rear suspension included, is identical to the Viva except the Roketa has preload adjustment, but it makes no difference. I can't believe anyone who bought one of these to truley use as a dual sport is satisfied with the rear suspension setup. What a horrible design. Anyway, back to topic. The R1 shock is also 12 in. ctc. FYI, it has 2.2 in of travel before it gets to the bump stop. With the new linkage as I diagrammed out, you'll have close to 9 in of travel, give or take what the bump stop allows. With the rising rate linkage I have about 6 inches of plush travel then it ramps up quick. It looks like the Buell shock has about the same throw as the R1, but if you use my scissor dimensions, you'll also have to move the top shock mount up 9/16 in. If you don't, the linkage is gonna hang way down there. Also, I like the idea of outboard mounts. How do you plan on mounting the bushings back in there??? Keep us posted, and best of luck. You'll never regret doing this mod!!!

Current Chinabikes: 2023 Titan DLX & 2022 Lifan KP Mini w/ 210cc BRT kit, 22 RWHP!

Old 04-20-2007, 01:42 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by red2003
That sounds good Sam. To be honest, I'm not sure I would recommend the Roketa either. The frame, rear suspension included, is identical to the Viva except the Roketa has preload adjustment, but it makes no difference. I can't believe anyone who bought one of these to truley use as a dual sport is satisfied with the rear suspension setup. What a horrible design.
I concur.
To get all the offroad capability I would like I'm going to have to do the linkage mod and that is a pain to do. I see on that "250" Kayak bike they have the linkage right.
!@@#$%!

Old 10-05-2018, 01:54 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by red2003 View Post
OK guys and gals. The new scissor is done and in and it is finally what I was looking for. I have 8 3/4" of plush smooth progressive travel. Sitting on my Roketa now is just like sitting on a YZ, XR or KX. No bull$hit. I can't believe the feel and comfort I got out of this bike. OK, here's the final pics.

Here is the stock scissor with the R1 shock installed.

Here's the new scissor. Totally different geometry and about 35 hours of work.

This pic shows the bike at rest with fully extended rear suspension. At full collapse the rear brake caliper hose just scuffs the muffler. All that distance is smooth, soft travel.

Sitting on the bike my weight collapses it about 2 3/4 inches. If I jump up and down on it hard, I can get the caliper about 1 1/2 inches from the muffler. Just about what I wanted. If anyone is interested in dimensions, I have all the specs to make the new scissor. It's not even close to a simple backyard project, but with a moderately equipped shop and some patience and it can work. PM me for more details, or I can post dimensions and more complete instructions here.
Old thread but I would really like to see the pics if possible.

Old 10-05-2018, 03:52 PM   #53

Yeah no doubt. I have an 09 R1 shock and a 2013 FZ1 shock on the shelf in my garage. I kinda feel like they would be too stiff for my though

Old 10-05-2018, 09:41 PM   #54

Just not fair.... the dam pictures won't work for me...

77 Montesa Cota 348 MRR "Malcom Rathnell Replica"...

Current resto projects..
81 Honda CT110...
80 Kawasaki KL250A1...

11 Husaburg TE125 enduro... "sold" along with another 31...
Lifan 125 Pitbike.. "stolen" ...

KIWI BIKER FORUM...... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/content.php

All the best offroad rides in NZ...
http://www.remotemoto.com/

E-mail... xtpete1@gmail.com