Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2010, 09:44 PM   #1

proper chain adjustment?

i believe I'm suppose to check the chain with me sitting on the bike so how do you guys check the chain by yourself?
and when my chain starts getting to much slack and ridding on the that plastic block i will move both adjusters (one on each side of swing arm) one click each, the chain has no slack at all when i sit on the bike. what am i doing wrong?

Old 05-27-2010, 11:31 PM   #2

Re: proper chain adjustment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan566
i believe I'm suppose to check the chain with me sitting on the bike so how do you guys check the chain by yourself?
and when my chain starts getting to much slack and ridding on the that plastic block i will move both adjusters (one on each side of swing arm) one click each, the chain has no slack at all when i sit on the bike. what am i doing wrong?
Yes, it is best to check the drive chain tension while you are mounted on the motorcycle. I support my bike on a swingarm stand before I mount the bike, then I reach down with my left hand to check the chain tension. If you don't own a swingarm stand, you can get another person to help you check the chain tension. Once you set the correct tension for your weight, you can dismount the bike and note the unweighted tension for future reference.

You should have about 1-1/4 inches of slack in the drive chain when you are mounted on your motorcycle. If you are an average rider, you should have the same amount of unweighted slack in the drive chain as shown in the following video, filmed by forum member CloudRider.

If your drive chain doesn't have any slack while you are seated on the motorcycle, your drive chain is too tight, and you can damage the bearing inside the engine that supports the countershaft. :( It is normal for your drive chain to ride in the chain guard. If you want to learn more information concerning your drive chain, you can read the following thread contained in the Zong Sticky.

http://chinariders.net/modules.php?n...asc&highlight=

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-27-2010, 11:51 PM   #3

also if yo0u have a lifan or lifanoid, check to see if your pivot point is excessively high like on the gy-5s. you will need to run 3 inches of chain slack (not the 10mm as stated in the manual) due to this design flaw to keep from doing damage to driveline components. Or you can do the pivot point modification like i did which moves the swing arm pivot down a half inch. running 3 inches of slack results in a horribly jerky ride and is my biggest complaint about the gy-5 besides the horrible parts support.

Old 05-28-2010, 09:48 PM   #4

thanks guys,
i guess my chain was right to start with, that just seems a little loose to me. i shut off my engine going about 35 mph and you could hear it dragging on that plastic so i though for sure it was too loose. i guess i will put it back to were it was at.
the way i check the chain by myself was to get on the opposite side of the bike (the side the chain is not on) and hold the bike up strait and lean over the bike and put as much weight as i can on the seat with my chest and shake the chain. it just doesn't work out very good sitting on the bike and trying to wiggle the chain and see it also. thanks again for your help. alan

Old 05-28-2010, 09:55 PM   #5

Quote:
thanks guys,
i guess my chain was right to start with, that just seems a little loose to me. i shut off my engine going about 35 mph and you could hear it dragging on that plastic so i though for sure it was too loose. i guess i will put it back to were it was at.
the way i check the chain by myself was to get on the opposite side of the bike (the side the chain is not on) and hold the bike up strait and lean over the bike and put as much weight as i can on the seat with my chest and shake the chain. it just doesn't work out very good sitting on the bike and trying to wiggle the chain and see it also. thanks again for your help. alan
If you don't have a swingarm stand, your method is a very good way to check the chain tension.

Your drive chain was properly adjusted at the factory, Alan. It is normal for your chain to make some noise if it is properly adjusted. I strongly encourage you to loosen your chain to the original tension. If you travel many miles with an overly tight drive chain, you will surely damage the bearing inside the engine that supports the countershaft. :( If this happens, you will be forced to make an expensive repair.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-29-2010, 02:20 PM   #6

spud, yea i bought a cheap stand for harbor freight but it looks kinda tall for the bike to me.

http://www.harborfreight.com/350-lb-...and-66552.html

whats the proper why to use this stand? remember i still have the stock wheels and tires.

Old 05-29-2010, 05:36 PM   #7

I have that very stand, and I just assembled it and lifted my son's XR200R with it. Make sure that immediately after you jack the bike up, you insert the safety pin. Don't even release the pedal before the pin is in place.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-29-2010, 05:41 PM   #8

do u use it on the swing arm or under the motor?

Old 05-29-2010, 05:46 PM   #9

Under the motor. I use a tie-down to secure the bike to the stand, just to make sure I don't knock it off.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-29-2010, 06:35 PM   #10

Personally, I prefer to use a swingarm stand, Alan. I like my T-Rex swingarm stand very much, and I use it all the time. In fact, I don't know what I would do without it.

http://chinariders.net/modules.php?n...ewtopic&t=7632

The swingarm stand is very easy to use. It supports the bike very securely, and you do not need to use any straps to secure the motorcycle to the stand. The swingarm stand greatly facilitates chain maintenance, and changing the rear wheel.

The stock Zong is pretty heavy, and the dirt bike stand you bought is pretty narrow. If you decide to keep this stand, I would definitely secure the bike to the stand with straps. However, I would recommend you return the stand you bought, and get a good swingarm stand. I recommend the T-Rex swingarm stand, but you can also get a swingarm stand at Harbor Freight.

http://www.harborfreight.com/motorcy...and-66192.html

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 05-29-2010, 06:45 PM   #11

i have used it on the zong a few times under the motor and it was wobbly, i don't know if i need to take off the skid plate or not but its not very sturdy

Old 05-29-2010, 08:08 PM   #12

Quote:
i have used it on the zong a few times under the motor and it was wobbly, i don't know if i need to take off the skid plate or not but its not very sturdy
If you want to keep using that stand, I would remove the skid plate before I lifted the bike on it. However, if you buy a swingarm stand, I think you will much prefer it to the stand you now have. The stand you bought is designed for motorcycles that weigh less than your Zong. I also bought an inexpensive fork lift stand for changing my front tire, and I like it very much. When I get time, I am going to write a review of my fork lift stand.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 05-29-2010, 10:26 PM   #13

Is there a good reason for that skid plate? I leave mine off, it is in the way.

Old 05-29-2010, 10:30 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealWorld
Is there a good reason for that skid plate? I leave mine off, it is in the way.
If you ride offroad, even a plastic skid plate will afford some protection for your engine. If you ride in rough terrain, a metal skid plate offers much better protection than a plastic skid plate.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220