Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2010, 10:21 PM   #1

question about GPS mounted on on handlebars?

my zong has a lot of vibration at highway speeds so i was wondering if anybody that was using there GPS had any problems with vibrations?

Old 06-13-2010, 12:51 AM   #2

Re: question about GPS mounted on on handlebars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan566
my zong has a lot of vibration at highway speeds so i was wondering if anybody that was using there GPS had any problems with vibrations?
I am using a Garmin eTrex Legend HCx, and I don't have any problems.

http://chinariders.net/modules.php?n...ewtopic&t=8914

I am using a RAM mount, and I run my GPS receiver on rechargeable batteries. I rarely even glance at my GPS receiver screen while riding, but I don't have any problems with either the signal reception, or the display. Do you own a GPS receiver, Alan? If so, are you having any problems with it?

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 06-13-2010, 06:42 AM   #3

those ram mounts are very good for the price, ive had one on my mountain bike to hold my ipod and it held on during jumps etc, if your worried abut vibrations, get some bar weights and if you have a detachable crossbar on your handlebars stick some rubber gromits/spacers between the crossbar and the mounts , it helps with vibrations same with having a rubber bush/spacer at your exhaust mount

Old 06-13-2010, 04:33 PM   #4

I dont recall the brand name of my GPS mount. I got it on clearance mark down at Walmart. It has a U-bolt mounting system and the GPS is held on the rubber cradel by 2 rubber straps. I dont notice any vibrition of the GPS ever.

Old 06-15-2010, 01:20 AM   #5

Quote:
If you think the Zong vibrates a lot, you definitely don't want to ride any other 200cc motorcycle, Alan. The Zong is very smooth, especially when it is geared too high with the stock, 15T countershaft sprocket. In fact, I think the Zong runs as smoothly as my first motorcycle, a 400cc, 1979, Honda Hawk II.

In regards to your question, you might also want to do a search of the threads in this forum. I seem to remember another Zong owner mounted an automobile GPS on his bike, with good results. I can report I run my Zong hard on the mountain trails in Idaho, and my RAM mount insulates my GPS receiver very well from the vibrations.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 06-15-2010, 08:53 AM   #6

i agree the zong is very smooth. i have only recently started to notice a vibration but my tires are worn slick in middle that takes away alot of dampening. im sure once i replace my tires it will be smooth again.

if you get the waterproof gps i think it is made for hikers, bikes and such it should hold up fine.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:31 AM   #7

you shouldnt have ay problems. i'm running a garmin on my dirt bike, and its been through a lot.

a suggestion would be to put some dialectric on the battery ends (keeps the batteries connected better with vibrations)

I hooked up a 12v to the bike so that i wont run out of battery juice too. wouldnt be good out in the middle of nowhere desert 8O

Old 06-16-2010, 08:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
Quote:
I am using a Garmin eTrex Legend HCx, and I don't have any problems.

http://chinariders.net/modules.php?n...ewtopic&t=8914

I am using a RAM mount, and I run my GPS receiver on rechargeable batteries. I rarely even glance at my GPS receiver screen while riding, but I don't have any problems with either the signal reception, or the display. Do you own a GPS receiver, Alan? If so, are you having any problems with it?

Spud
Spud, i don't have a mount yet, my vibration is very fast and tight, you can't see it vibrating but without gloves at highway speeds my hands will go numb in about 15 to 20 mins so i thought i would ask first before i bought a mount.

I will have to check into those weights also, thanks

Old 06-17-2010, 07:13 AM   #9

Quote:
Spud, i don't have a mount yet, my vibration is very fast and tight, you can't see it vibrating but without gloves at highway speeds my hands will go numb in about 15 to 20 mins so i thought i would ask first before i bought a mount.

I will have to check into those weights also, thanks
What kind of GPS receiver do you plan to buy, Alan?

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 06-17-2010, 08:33 PM   #10

i have a tom tom (car gps) i was thinking about downloading some maps from the net (free) if i can find them that i need.

Old 06-18-2010, 12:30 AM   #11

Quote:
i have a tom tom (car gps) i was thinking about downloading some maps from the net (free) if i can find them that i need.
Another Zongite has mounted a car GPS receiver; did you read that thread?

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220