Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2010, 02:24 AM   #1

18-inch SpudWheel

I am now nearing 28,000 miles traveled on my Zongshen 200GY-2 motorcycle. In stock form, the Zong is a great little supermoto! Although the Zong has a great engine, good ground clearance, and good forks, the atypical, 15-inch rear wheel prevents this bike from being a true dual sport motorcycle. Currently, you cannot buy a knobby tire for the stock rear wheel.

If you want to ride the Zong offroad, you have a good selection of knobby tires to choose for the 18-inch, front wheel.

http://chinariders.net/modules.php?n...ewtopic&t=7922

However, if you want a knobby tire for the rear wheel, you must either perform a swingarm conversion, or build a custom, 18-inch rear wheel. Today I just completed building a custom, 18-inch rear wheel for a fellow Zongite.

The Zong rides well, and performs well off road with two, 18-inch wheels. If you want even better off road performance, you can also either buy, or build a 21-inch, front wheel for your Zong.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 06-18-2010, 08:51 AM   #2

I take it that you are re-using the hub assembly. What spokes are you useing?

What are the diferences between the yamaha swingarm set up you have verses just the custom wheel shown in this post? Are there limitations on the tire sizes while using the stock set up with a re-laced wheel?

Old 06-18-2010, 03:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal25
I take it that you are re-using the hub assembly. What spokes are you useing?

What are the diferences between the yamaha swingarm set up you have verses just the custom wheel shown in this post? Are there limitations on the tire sizes while using the stock set up with a re-laced wheel?
Thank you for your reply, Cal. As usual, you have asked excellent questions.

I relaced the stock, Zongshen rear hub with a larger, 18-inch rim and custom spokes I ordered from Buchanan's Spoke & Rim. I then trued the wheel for radial and lateral roundness. Before I learned to lace, true, and build custom wheels, I performed a Yamaha, XT225 swingarm conversion on my own Zongshen, 200GY-2 motorcycle.

http://chinariders.net/modules.php?n...ewtopic&t=8199

The swingarm conversion costs more, and involves more labor than either buying, or building your own custom, 18-inch wheel. The swingarm conversion also requires welding equipment, and welding skills. In addition, you need to fabricate a custom mount for the Yamaha, XT225, lower shock linkage. However, the swingarm conversion allows the bike to lose twelve pounds of weight. Also, the Yamaha, XT225 shock absorber is superior to the stock, Zongshen shock absorber.

In my opinion, the swingarm conversion is superior to a custom rear wheel. However, the swingarm conversion costs more, requires more labor, and requires more fabrication skills. If you build, or buy a custom, 18-inch rear wheel for your Zong, the process is simpler, and less expensive; you merely mount a tire, install the custom rear wheel, and go riding.

Whichever method you employ, once you have an 18-inch, rear wheel for your Zong, you have a very wide selection of dual sport tires, and tire vendors, to choose from. There are no limitations on the tire sizes you can choose if you install a custom, 18-inch rear wheel with the stock, Zongshen swingarm.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 06-18-2010, 04:26 PM   #4

One more round of question for you.
Did you have to send the hub and rim to Buchanan's to determine the correct spokes? Are most aftermarket rims set up for the same size nipple?

The wheel looks great of course.

Old 06-18-2010, 06:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal25
One more round of question for you.
Did you have to send the hub and rim to Buchanan's to determine the correct spokes? Are most aftermarket rims set up for the same size nipple?

The wheel looks great of course.
Thank you for the kind words, Cal.

No, you do not need to send either the hub, or the rim, to Buchanan's Spoke & Rim; however, you do need to send them spoke samples. Of course, you also need to select a rim that will work with your chosen hub. You also need to take measurements from the stock rim, and your chosen rim; Buchanan's will tell you what measurements they need. Based upon these measurements, and the rim you select, Buchanan's will send you the proper spoke nipples.

Of course, after the spokes and nipples arrive, you must lace the wheel properly. If the wheel increases in size, the lacing pattern sometimes changes from the original pattern. Therefore, you need to understand the design of spoked wheels, so you can interpret the new, proper lacing pattern.

I shipped the custom wheel to its new owner this afternoon. I hope he enjoys many happy, safe miles riding with it.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 06-21-2010, 11:26 PM   #6

Ya know Spud, I was thinking of replacing the 21" front with an 18" for my grand daughters Roketa. It is a tad too tall for her. Do you know where I can get the OEM 18"? I am trying to avoid the high dollar stuff as things are a bit tight due to other commitments.

Thanks.

John

Old 06-21-2010, 11:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotelRed
Ya know Spud, I was thinking of replacing the 21" front with an 18" for my grand daughters Roketa. It is a tad too tall for her. Do you know where I can get the OEM 18"? I am trying to avoid the high dollar stuff as things are a bit tight due to other commitments.

Thanks.

John
What model Roketa do you own, John? If you have a Roketa DB-07A, you can buy an 18-inch, Zongshen front wheel for your bike.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 06-22-2010, 12:31 AM   #8

It is a DB-07 but don't know about the "A". Also called a RSM-200E.

Where would I find a front wheel for the Zong?

John

Old 06-22-2010, 12:45 AM   #9

You may be able to get someone to swap you.

Old 06-22-2010, 01:01 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotelRed
It is a DB-07 but don't know about the "A". Also called a RSM-200E.

Where would I find a front wheel for the Zong?

John
The DB-07 model is different from the DB-07A model, John. The DB-07 employs a Lifan front hub, and the DB-07A employs a Zongshen front hub. You can compare the front wheels of both models at the Roketa website.

http://www.roketa.com/product/productlist/7.shtml

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 06-22-2010, 09:31 AM   #11

Well, it is not the "A" model. Even the engine is different. I'm guessing the Lifan and Roketa DB-07 are very similar? I wonder which of the other 200cc bikes would be compatible with mine?

I tried to buy a rear rim form Roketa parts a few months ago but they did not have it. It has since been removed from the site. I figured to lace the front hub into it.

John