Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2010, 11:21 PM   #1

2005 Kinroad hesitates on accel.

Hi guys...my 08 Lifan GY-5 is such a pleasure, I picked up another 200cc "lifanoid" GY-2 or 3 not really sure, appears similiar to a roketa?? OHC engine, but the numbers don't match the typical ones I have seen...Engine No. reads 05051369. Problem is it has a heavy hesitation or stumble at mid range rpm and mid to heavy throttle position.

The previous owner fooled with the carb, perhaps rejetted. Upon dissassembly the main jet was a 102.5. I cleaned / inspected the carb several days ago, and the problem seemed to get better but was slight at the end of my test drive. But unfortunately, gas was pouring out the bottom of the carb when I pulled back in the garage. I tightened the shutoff at the bottom of the carb to no avail, maybe stuck float??

So frustrated as I was, I ordered a new ebay 27mm carb and cdi unit and took a few days off. tonight I realized that the carb on the bike was a sheng wey PD1 30mm. I figured what the hell, I'll try the ebay 27mm new carb and had the exact same hard stumble at mid to high rpm on acceleration. Plugged in and tried the new cdi, but that was no help either.

Bike reads only 180 miles w/ newish tires, but it has had a hard life. The oil was dirty and the oil screen was pretty "sludged" up. I put new oil and cleaned the screen immediately.

I might go ahead and get the 30mm carb as the smaller 27mm did not match the air intake and had to be shimmed w/ rubber tape to seal.

I have tried moving the neddle clip and get changed conditions at idle and low throttle...but the problem remains unchanged.

I'm kind of stumped here....might I have an electrical issue? Valve adjustment. Spark plug resistor appears white.

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm stumped and thinking that perhaps the $350 dollar china bike wasn't the deal I thouight.

Any comments or ideas greatly appreciated, I'm kinda stumped.

Thanks...Mike in Jersey

Old 06-29-2010, 01:17 AM   #2

Did you change the sparkplug?

Old 06-29-2010, 09:36 AM   #3

Hang in there and try not to get discouraged. I think the 30mm carb would be a better match.

X2 on the spark plug as Katoranger sugested. Several people have had less than good perfomance with the factory plug.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:39 AM   #4

Yes,, spark plug was changed but didn't help. Might this be a lean condition causing a stumble at mid-high rpm and throttle?

Thanks

Anyone recommend a 30mm carb that might work well and be jetted close enough?

Old 06-29-2010, 09:48 AM   #5

At this point I think I would fool with the original carb a little. Disassemble and clean well verify the float opperation is correct. You might have had some trash in there. If the original carb was a PZ30, I would say the 102.5 is pretty close.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:42 AM   #6

At the risk of beating a dead horse, what type of plug did you install?

Also, I wouldn't trust the old carb because of the float leak, nor the new carb because of the mismatch at the intake tube. See if you can solve the float problem; if not, try a 30mm carb (they're cheap enough). I like the Mikuni that is easily found on eBay or at www.giobikes.com in the auction section.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-29-2010, 01:58 PM   #7

The plug I installed was a champion, the book listed it for an XR200 and it matched the size of the plug i removed.

Just purchased this carb http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=200465045592

Just don't feel like fooling w/ the original carb anymore...who knows what the previous had done.

Wish me luck before I fire sale this thing...hah.

Here is a link to the model that appears very similiar, but mine is black.
http://www.kinroad.net/index.php?mai...products_id=39

Thanks for all replies.

Old 06-29-2010, 06:33 PM   #8

do a plug chop, get a new/clean spark plug stick it in, get you 27mm carb on and go and and drive the bike as fast as you can in 3rd or 4th gear and with the revs on hit the cut out switch then let the revvs off, pull out the plug and if its white then your too lean etc etc, if its only at the bottom end, get a NEW Plug and stick it in, leave the bike to tick over for 15mins with a few revs here and there but nothing too high, pull the plug out after 15-20 mins and see the condition of the plug, again if its white then your lean if its black or fouled then your too rich, if you manage to sort the bottom end of the carb out then repete the prosess for the mid-top range to get it spot on, good luck

p.s the old carb, check the fuel pendulam, best way to see if the carb shuts off the fuel once the bowl is full is,

remove carb from bike

get about 20cm of fuel hose and stick it on the fuel intake on the carb

remove the float bowl

blow hard into the line and move the float slowley upwards and youll hit a point where you cant blow no more, this will be fuel cut off, if the tab on the float is bent wrong itll stop the pendulam cutting the fuel off too late allowing fuel to escape and leak into the overflow,
to save fuel and your life, use water, get a mouth full and push it down the fuel line if its leaking then bend the tab and adjust accordingly, bending the tab upwards will make the fuel shut off erlyer vice versa, but ONLY bent 1mm at a time, if you adjust it too much your float bowl wont be able to fill up enought for your jets to suck up the fuel and ull be stopping every 5minuets wating for the bowl to fill up

Old 06-29-2010, 08:36 PM   #9

I heartily recommend an NGK, not a Champion.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-30-2010, 12:12 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
I heartily recommend an NGK, not a Champion.
yes i agree, but the champion was at arms reach at the store i was at, and figured it would do to diagnose a hard engine misfire.

Old 07-03-2010, 04:55 PM   #11

Well, to report back, the bike now runs well and I am humbled and a little embarassed. I guess when the previous owner was saying carb issue...larger jets...and so on you think that is the right place to start. After swapping, cleaning and tuning carbs, I discovered a faulty connection at the hot spade clip to the ignition coil.

Thanks for all the suggestions....well I guess I got what I deserve, I listened to someone who was unable to fix it, figures hah.

Old 07-03-2010, 05:36 PM   #12

Glad you got running properly!

Old 07-04-2010, 02:31 AM   #13

Thanks for giving us the update; I'm glad you got the problem fixed.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894