Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2010, 01:45 AM   #1

TaoTao AT 250E best exhaust and carb Mods?

Hello all, I have a TaoTao ATA 250E (250cc)water cooled atv. I've had it for a while and its been great, but a bit lacking in the power dept. It goes plenty fast as far as the top speed goes, but I wanted to do some basic mods to get a little more power from it for climbing hills and a little better acceleration. Its always nice to have a little more power on tap when you want it. I have been told that a good exhaust mod is to take a stock Honda CRF450 pipe and put on it, and then another person told me a stock Honda CRF250 exhaust would be better than the 450's. I figure a stock pipe from one of the big names would be a lot better than the one that came stock on mine and could probably be had for a pretty reasonable price since it seems everyone changes the pipe right when they buy a new atv/dirtbike. Also from what I have reaad and have been told, I will need to re-jet the carburetor after the exhaust mod. Right now it has a PZ27 carburetor on it and thats about all the markings I see on it other that it was made in Japan. I had read that a Mikuni 30mm carb is a really good upgrade for this engine and would work well with a better flowing exhaust. If anyone has done these modifications to one of the Chinese made atv's, I'd love to hear about it and if it was worth the effort to do it. Also I would really like to know what my atv is a "knock-off" of...anyone know? Thanks in advance

Ron

Old 07-12-2010, 03:28 AM   #2

Hi Ron,

Pictures always help us identify what you have there. Usually they are Honda clones.

As for your power, if you have a lot of top end and would like more low end grunt, you can change your sprockets to change the ratio without doing the carb and exhaust mods. Again, we'd need to see photos of your engine and sprocket setup to point you in the right direction there.

I have a 200cc Air Cooled quad, and the mikuni upgrade is wonderful. I did have to rejet it as well when we upgraded the exhaust so you may need to do that even with the bigger carb if you go the exhaust route.

Do some post some photos and share with all the members here so we can offer you more detailed help.

Welcome to the forums as well!

Old 07-12-2010, 08:14 AM   #3

Going 1 tooth smaller on the front sprocket will get you some low end grunt without having to remove links from the chain.

Old 07-12-2010, 01:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboT
I have a 200cc Air Cooled quad, and the mikuni upgrade is wonderful. I did have to rejet it as well when we upgraded the exhaust so you may need to do that even with the bigger carb if you go the exhaust route.
YOU had to rejet? You mean you had your people rejet it for you.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-12-2010, 01:51 PM   #5

Thanks TurboT, I'll try to get some photos posted of the engine. I've looked online at many engines, but I cant seem to find a good picture of one of the water cooled engines to have something to compare to. Its sitting on a trailer right now so I might not be able to get a good picture of it. What did you do for an exhaust? is it an aftermarket unit or a stock unit from one of the Japanese name brand bikes? Did you do the exhaust and carb at the same time or add one and ride for a bit? Did each modification have a noticeable difference?

Ron

Old 07-12-2010, 03:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboT
YOU had to rejet? You mean you had your people rejet it for you.
Hey come on, I'm trying to sound believable here.

Old 07-12-2010, 03:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BangkokBlaster
Thanks TurboT, I'll try to get some photos posted of the engine. I've looked online at many engines, but I cant seem to find a good picture of one of the water cooled engines to have something to compare to. Its sitting on a trailer right now so I might not be able to get a good picture of it. What did you do for an exhaust? is it an aftermarket unit or a stock unit from one of the Japanese name brand bikes? Did you do the exhaust and carb at the same time or add one and ride for a bit? Did each modification have a noticeable difference?

Ron
We did a lot of the mods all at once so I can't say which one made the most difference.

My ATV exhaust is a performance 150cc mufler bought from www.giobikes.com and custom fitted by my buddy Weldangrind onto my quad. The forum members here determined the one designed for the 200cc was not as free flowing as the 150cc we went with.

Old 07-12-2010, 04:29 PM   #8

I took a couple of pictures of the engine, but I dont have access to a website that I can upload them to. I tried ImageShack, but after they got my personal info, it seemed my e-mail address was already in use on that site...not sure how that can be since I've never signed up with em before and have never received any e-mails from them either(avoid this site). Here is a link to a site that has some good engine pictures of my atv http://taotaopart.com/ATA-250E.htm . I had a little trouble getting the pics to load when I clicked on em...I just right clicked, and then saved em to my pictures and then I could see em pretty good.
It looks like the 150cc exhaust has a larger exit on it than the 200cc version that giobike has. I read somewhere about FMF having an exhaust that was around $100. I looked at it a while back, but cant seem to find it now.... I wonder how the giobike and the FMF pipes compare as far as performance improvement? I kinda like the looks of the giobike pipe. Does it have a spark arrestor in it? It didnt say anything about that on the giobike website. I'm moving soon and my brother tells me that some of the places that we will be riding requires that you have a spark arrestor....
I've recently come across a set of shocks from a stock Yamaha Raptor 250 that are virtually new, they can be had for about $70 for the set of them, and are almost the same dimensions as the ones I have on my atv now. The rear shock is about an inch longer than mine and the front shocks are also about an inch longer. After looking at them, it appears they will fit my machine. It's tempting to try them out because the ride is rather stiff on mine...would these shocks be any better than the ones I have?
After looking at the Giobeast atv....that thing is almost identical to mine. It has an air cooled engine, but the body/frame is virtually identical. I want the rack off the back of that one!!