Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2007, 01:04 PM   #16

I'll definately keep it, and definately ride it. No doubt there for me. Not sure I'll 2 up with my son again. Maybe after I get the battery fixed and put some more miles on it, it'll calm down for me. I've experienced this feeling before. I raced DIRT Late Models and Open Wheel Modifieds all through my 20's and the first race, first corner with a new car was always un-nerving. Sliding it in sideways at 120 mph makes you think for a split second, "gee, I sure hope this sticks or that wall is gonna leave a mark 8O !!!" Life's a risk, I get it. All is good!!!

Current Chinabikes: 2023 Titan DLX & 2022 Lifan KP Mini w/ 210cc BRT kit, 22 RWHP!

Old 04-12-2007, 01:12 PM   #17

With the addition of your new rear suspension the g-load stress to the bike will be much less. Too high tire pressures may cause additional stress.
Take a tip from the enduro guys and safety wire the spokes where they cross, just in case one breaks..btw be sure the spokes are evenly tightened(not too tight). Use stainless wire....025 or .032.
A smaller battery would be better mid ship!
Generally these little bikes probably have a real max useful load of 200-220 # including rider,fuel and gear.
Be sure all pivoting/rotating parts are lubed!
Possibly replace questionable hardware/shafts with genuine grade 8 pieces.

Judging from your posts you have done as much as anyone to upgrade your bike and make it reliable..Luck has to factor in somewhere, as you may be suggesting.

Ride Safe!

Old 04-12-2007, 03:37 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by red2003
I got my bike on eBay and assembled it myself.
That's one of the reasons I ride with a bit more confidence. If someone else had assembled it, I would always wonder did they tighten this or loctite that, grease this or over torque that. At least I have been able to explore the limits of mine and I can rest comfortably in my daily commute knowing that I am well within it's limitations.

The only issue that has come up that could have been a real issue was the spoke break. However, I will say that I had really tested the bike earlier that day jumping RR tracks at a Dukes of Hazzard type crossing. The zip ties should keep any future spokes from puncturing the tire as well as a reinforced inner rim strip.

Jason
1995 Kawasaki Concours (ZG1000)

Old 04-12-2007, 04:02 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xflyer
Take a tip from the enduro guys and safety wire the spokes where they cross, just in case one breaks..btw be sure the spokes are evenly tightened(not too tight). Use stainless wire....025 or .032.
I've never done this...is a pic in a new thread possible? I think I know what you meant but I wouldn't mind "seeing" it.

Cheers,
R.

Old 04-12-2007, 04:08 PM   #20

Well,

Vigilance and attention to detail is an unfortunate pre-requisite to owning an inexpensive chinese made bike. The same is true for any bike.. no matter where it is made.. You cannot completely sanitize and fool-proof anything on two wheels, when it comes to safety.

I guess I am thankful my Roketa came with the battery under the seat.

My Kinroad has a plastic battery box located in the same spot as the db-07. Mostly offroad riding 250 miles. No problems so far. (knock on plastic) its just a pain to open when you want to service the battery.

In terms of these bikes and commuting on them? I have alway avoided busy thouroughfares, no matter if I was driving a jap bike or chinese bike. One inherently takes on a higher, risk driving a motorcycle anywhere, in the first place. If you are commuting, risk of injury or accident is going to be higher.

As Fatboy mentioned, some sort of reinforcement should be added to the ds prep thread. That is for bikes with external battery boxes.

Old 04-12-2007, 05:35 PM   #21

The zip ties should keep any future spokes from puncturing the tire as well as a reinforced inner rim strip.

Jason[/quote]

Zip ties work the same as safety wire at spoke intersections but break down due to the uv, temp changes and moisture. Either method is good! Spokes shouldn't break if maintained although woods riding can sure introduce other factors. Seems many want lighter rotating mass thus try to lighten up their wheels by using light rim strips or duct tape. Not a big factor on these bikes.

Old 04-12-2007, 06:27 PM   #22

What kind of prices are out there for a new set of rims? I guess it depends on what kind you get. Obviously we've got some cheapos

Old 04-12-2007, 07:54 PM   #23

Cheap rims? I concur.

I must've hit a rock pretty hard since I noticed a large dent in my front rim Tuesday.

A good whalloping with a rubber mallet and all good to go again..

I didn't even notice a difference in the ride on the 5KM of pavement from Mtn to home on any of the days I was out this weekend and as far as I know it could've happen either Sat, Sun, or Monday as I didnt give the bike a good look over till tuesday when I re-checked tire PSI and changed the oil.

Old 04-12-2007, 08:55 PM   #24

I was just suspecting this because I have read that people are getting flat tires because the spokes were coming loose. I have also read that people havent had to do as much rim maintenance on other Big 4 bikes. I dont think the rims are cheap, I only stated this because of what I've read. I havent had any trouble with 3000 miles on my bike. Now, that I have said this, I dont want to get anything started by saying that you dont have to do maintenance on rims just because they're one of the Big 4. I am only saying what I've read, defenitely not by experience. I am guessing there is just as much maintenance regardless of what you are riding. Maybe someone can throw in a little bit more experienced judgment.

Old 04-12-2007, 10:33 PM   #25

Judging from what I've read on this site, Lifans have fewer spoke problems than Roketa... Seems like that's part of the game though, I don't want to spark any debates, that's just how it seems...

Old 04-13-2007, 09:33 AM   #26

Although only my Roketa has had a few broken spokes, Dad has had none with over 3600 miles on his. I think it has more to do with the loads and abuse than the manufacturer since the spokes and their replacements are interchangeable for both manufacturers.

Where did you find this safety wire? I think this is a better idea.

Jason
1995 Kawasaki Concours (ZG1000)

Old 04-13-2007, 10:53 AM   #27

Hi Jason,
I got my safety wire from Aircraft Supply (800-569-9397).They have a web site but they don't list safety wire.
It comes in a 1#roll ($12-13) and is good for safety wiring many things. The .025 stainless is the best compromise between strength and flexibility. The special safety wire pliers make it a lot easier and do a better job but are not required.
The wiring of your spokes while not preventing them from breaking, strengthens them somewhat and may prevent a broken spoke from flailing about doing tertiary damage.
There are other sources such as aircraftspruce.com and ddaircraft.com
Gary

Old 04-13-2007, 11:26 AM   #28

Great thread! I thought I'd throw in on it. It doesn't matter what you ride. All bikes have issues. Sure some are better than others, but no bike is immune to problems. No matter how much you spend on it. My KTM 950 cost much, much, MUCH more than my new Viva. The KTM has 3 recalls on it right now! One is a rear brake mastercylinder recall. The recall letter states that under no circumstance whatsoever, is the owner to ride the bike until the recall is done. I've been riding it for 3 months like this. The recall only effects the performance of the rear brake and can cause it to lockup during use, potentially causing a crash. OK, no big deal! Don't use the rear brake. I never use it anyway so it doesn't effect me. The dealership just ordered the parts and everything should be fixed in a couple weeks. I can live with that!

Motorcycles are dangerous, period. You can lessen your risk by getting some good training and reading whatever you can about safety and riding technique. That will go along way to potential save you in a crash or a dodgy situation that you may find yourself in. Maintaining the bike to very high standards is also very important. Finding a loose nut or missing bolt before the ride is an important part of the experience. You should know your bike and as you get more familiar with it, you will know what to look for and what needs looked at.

On these china bikes, design and manufacturing problems seem to be a nagging problem. I feel that for the money, they are great bargains and can be made much better. Without spending a boatload of cash!

KISS: Keep It Simple & you're not Stupid!
2017 Coleman CT200U
1978 Yamaha SR500E
1979 Yamaha XS650 Special II

Old 04-13-2007, 12:26 PM   #29

Not all bikes from China are just crap...
If you want something made at the lowest possible price, it can´t have the highest possible quality too.
My BMW F650 was 5 times more expensive than my Qingqi, but the quality sure wasn´t 5 times better.
I choosed the Qingqi because it looked much better than the rest of the china bikes, time will tell if it is better...
I have a Lifan 50 cc scooter that I have abused at full throttle for three years an almost 3000 kms now, and it still looks like new and runs just fine.
By the way can you sell products in the US that is potentially dangerous?
Don´t you sue each other all the time? :wink:

Old 04-13-2007, 12:43 PM   #30

That's a stereotype! Not everyone from the US is sue happy! Do all women in Sweden have blonde hair?
2017 Coleman CT200U
1978 Yamaha SR500E
1979 Yamaha XS650 Special II