Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2010, 05:55 PM   #1

Gio X31 clutch and oil

Hello we run a few atv's and I had some spare 10/40 ATV oil. I put it in my x31. Is there a major difference between 10/40 ATV oil and Motorcycle oil? Also I am having kick start issues. It will not start cold with kick start but will start warm. I am thinking a clutch adjustment but dont know. Also how does one know if the clutch is adjusted perfectly as when I put it into gear and engage the clutch and roll the bike there is a small amount of resistance.

Old 07-12-2010, 01:14 PM   #2

Welcome!

I'm not sure what is in ATV oil, but make sure that whatever you're using does not say energy conserving. I like synthetic four stroke motorcycle oil that is designed for wet clutches.

If your bike is hard to start, I'd be looking at the plug. What colour is it? Does it need to be richened? If so, a simple clip adjustment should do the trick.

With clutch adjustments, I look for a setting that makes the engine stall immediately upon dumping the clutch. On the other hand, I don't want the bike to creep forward while in gear and the clutch engaged.

Also make sure that the lever has some freeplay at the perch.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-12-2010, 02:20 PM   #3

Thank you

Old 07-12-2010, 05:05 PM   #4

I've been using the Castrol 10w/40 motorcycle oil in my X31 with no problems, and like you i can't even kickstart my bike, it seems as if i get one good kick and if it doesn't fire up upon the second kick it almost seems as it fighting the electric start setup to get good kicks out of it, i have contemplated getting rid of the electric start and battery.

Old 07-14-2010, 01:13 PM   #5

Thank you. I think I was expecting it to start on the first few kicks like my old yz125`. However if you kick the f*&% out of it it starts!

Old 08-02-2010, 11:43 PM   #6

Waynev has good pointed out. Bikes had been not started in one kicks due to dirt oil . I am still using the Castrol and also stuff the engine oil after three months. I wish that You will like it.

Old 08-03-2010, 01:22 PM   #7

All your base are belong to us, dude.

Old 08-03-2010, 01:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal25
All your base are belong to us, dude.
Huh ????

Old 08-03-2010, 02:02 PM   #9

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-03-2010, 07:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynev

Huh ????
Damn Wayne, you took the words right out of my mouth.

..although, since I know Cal is a rather literate fellow, I'm thinking he was saying that due to the post above his being a bit hard to read as well.

Old 08-06-2010, 02:45 AM   #11

Funny

Old 08-06-2010, 02:53 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynev
I've been using the Castrol 10w/40 motorcycle oil in my X31 with no problems, and like you i can't even kickstart my bike, it seems as if i get one good kick and if it doesn't fire up upon the second kick it almost seems as it fighting the electric start setup to get good kicks out of it, i have contemplated getting rid of the electric start and battery.
same stuff i use, no complaints on my end from the castrol 4t oil. even tho its a quad and not a bike figured i would throw in my vote for the castrol 4t oil designed for a wet clutch

Old 08-12-2010, 12:20 AM   #13

Most wet clutches will work with ANY kind of oil, yes ANY.

ATF
ATF type F
10W30
10W40
75W Gear oil
80W Gear oil

Because the engines in these bikes share the gearbox oil this limits your options to regular engine oil.
ATV or Automotive, Yamaha 4 stroke oil, Motorcycle oil is usually all the same thing, regular engine oil with different weights.

I use 20W oil just cause it's a little thicker and more viscous and stays viscous under hotter temperatures. These bikes get really hot, so if the oil can stay a little bit more viscous the better lubricating qualities it retains.

Old 08-12-2010, 01:05 AM   #14

I'm gonna stick with wet clutch or non-energy conserving. Not much of a gambler.