Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2010, 04:52 PM   #151

I just brought home a pre-owned XF200 lastnight, but am following along with this thread attentively. The reason? I knew going in to the Qlink, I would be selling the Harley come spring, keeping the XF as a run about and thought I would be buying a DR650SE. However, after reading everything here, I might be buying a Pitsterpro 400. The weights are a wash, the seat heights are a wash, power would be down on the 400 a bit, but that all important sixth gear is sooooo tempting, never mind the thousands of dollars (literally) that I would be saving by going, again, chinese. Im not hard core off-road anyhow, just looking for an adventure take it easy, kinda bike. The only stick in the mud, is, as been said, parts. I read the other thread by spud about the hybrid engine, so we shall see......

Old 10-13-2010, 05:52 PM   #152

Pitster 400

All,
Picked mine up last night, in the process of taking it all apart for grease and locktite. Made it through shipping undamaged though the outer box was beat up. Crate must weigh about 200 pounds and was put together with several different sizes of nuts and bolts. Came with a quality Japanese battery (sealed agm). Tires are a copy of the Kenda 270's made by Kings. Everything was packed very well. Only funky stuff is the narrow footpegs, paper airfilter and some of the fasteners are kind of soft and heavy. Seat mount bolts must weigh about 1/2 pound each. Shifter was also about ready to fall off/shifter guy must not work very hard or has a very short wrench. No stripped bolts or other quality issues. Im going to change the handgrips tonight along witn installing some handguards and change the engine oil prior to starting it. I took lots of pictures which I will post later. Rack is pretty nice though I think I'm going to ditch the toolbag. Manual is good for entertainment only. I didn't see anything about capacitys. I got 2 MSO's, 1 on the seat that says it is a scooter and another in the mail that says it is a motorcycle. I guess I can take my pick!
Anyone have an answer to the following questions?
1. How much engine oil
2. Direct foam replacement for air filter
3. Valve clearances

Thanks,
Jeff

Old 10-13-2010, 06:50 PM   #153

I would drop the oil into a container with measurements before even starting the motor. That will at least give you a rough idea of how much is in there until you get the exact specs.

Old 10-13-2010, 11:18 PM   #154

Re: Pitster 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by treetrimmer
...Manual is good for entertainment only. I didn't see anything about capacitys. I got 2 MSO's, 1 on the seat that says it is a scooter and another in the mail that says it is a motorcycle. I guess I can take my pick!
Anyone have an answer to the following questions?
1. How much engine oil
2. Direct foam replacement for air filter
3. Valve clearances

Thanks,
Jeff
Congratulations, Jeff! If you have time, please start a new thread, and post lots of photographs of your new LXT 400.

To the best of my knowledge, Xingyue has not produced a service manual for the XY400Y-2/LXT 400. Therefore, you best sources of information will probably be the Rotax 400 Engine Shop Manual, and the Honda XR250R Service Manual.

http://www.chinariders.net/modules.p...wtopic&t=10831

The Rotax service manual specifies the valve clearances:

Intake: 0.06 mm to 0.14 mm/.0024 in to .0055 in
Exhaust: 0.11 mm to 0.19 mm/.0043 in to .0075 in

An XR250R, XR400R, or Suzuki DR-Z400 air filter might fit your LXT 400. However, I pretty confident the XR250R countershaft sprockets, and XR250R oil filters will fit your engine.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 10-16-2010, 09:52 PM   #155

All,
Just a quick note, Bike is assembled and running. Took a quick run around the neighborhood. Better than I thought it was going to be, started instantly and idles perfect. Also very quiet. Ran it for about 5 minutes and then drained the oil, looked like pretty cheap oil. Oil capacity is 1200 cc. More with pictures to follow.
Thanks,
Jeff

Old 10-16-2010, 10:20 PM   #156

change the oil often during the break in time..id say every full hour of riding for the first few hours. then you should be good to change it every 3 or so hours of use

Old 10-18-2010, 02:22 PM   #157

$2,000 delivered.

I just spoke with Gary. Seems like a nice guy. I;m thinking about this.

I sold my Yamaha, and I have a buyer for Q. I could maybe do this but I just don't know.

There is also a DR650 locally I may look at, but I think it's too big for me...

Old 10-18-2010, 05:53 PM   #158

Pitster 400

Go for it!

I had a DR650 that I sold as it was just too much off road. I'm 6' and 200 or so pounds. It looks like the Pitster will be more nimble, should know for sure this weekend when it gets it's first off road use. I also have a wr250r all set up for adventure riding that's a lot of fun, been all over Oregon and Nevada with it.
The Pitster was of higher quality than I expected it was going to be, really the footpegs are the only part that looks like it might not hold up. Make sure you locktite every nut and bolt as about half of them were very loose.

Jeff

Old 10-18-2010, 06:06 PM   #159

Re: Pitster 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by treetrimmer
Go for it!

I had a DR650 that I sold as it was just too much off road. I'm 6' and 200 or so pounds. It looks like the Pitster will be more nimble, should know for sure this weekend when it gets it's first off road use. I also have a wr250r all set up for adventure riding that's a lot of fun, been all over Oregon and Nevada with it.
The Pitster was of higher quality than I expected it was going to be, really the footpegs are the only part that looks like it might not hold up. Make sure you locktite every nut and bolt as about half of them were very loose.

Jeff
I may have a buyer for Q. We'll see....

Old 10-18-2010, 09:52 PM   #160

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizke
change the oil often during the break in time..id say every full hour of riding for the first few hours. then you should be good to change it every 3 or so hours of use
Never heard anything like changing the oil for every hour of riding for the first several hours of riding. You must be using some crappy oil.

Old 10-18-2010, 10:25 PM   #161

during the break in process you got a lot of metal shavings in the oil from the parts wearing in together... its better safe then sorry.. i am also very picky about being safe then sorry and about oil changes, and doing a proper break in there are 2 types of break in process's. hard and soft.. a hard break in should yeild a little more power but the motor might not last aslong, a soft break in wont yeild as much power but the motor should last longer. i learned those when i had my honda and turned it into a track car. i was getting ready for a motor rebuild and started researching break in process.

my car gets the oil changed every 2000 miles with royal purple. my quad gets the oil changed every 3 hours of use and next time i am switching to mobile 1 currently use castrol 4t motorcycle oil

Old 10-18-2010, 10:45 PM   #162

Quote:
during the break in process you got a lot of metal shavings in the oil from the parts wearing in together... its better safe then sorry.. i am also very picky about being safe then sorry and about oil changes, and doing a proper break in there are 2 types of break in process's. hard and soft.. a hard break in should yeild a little more power but the motor might not last aslong, a soft break in wont yeild as much power but the motor should last longer. i learned those when i had my honda and turned it into a track car. i was getting ready for a motor rebuild and started researching break in process.

my car gets the oil changed every 2000 miles with royal purple. my quad gets the oil changed every 3 hours of use and next time i am switching to mobile 1 currently use castrol 4t motorcycle oil
You'd be a good guy to buy a used vehicle from.

Old 10-18-2010, 10:53 PM   #163

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
Quote:

You'd be a good guy to buy a used vehicle from.
thanks

i just like to take care of my stuff, maybe i am a little ocd about some things.. but i bet if you pulled the valve covers off my stang, it would be nice and clean inside of them.. i got my honda 122k on it.. at 126k i swapped the valve cover for a periwinkle red powder coated valve cover and the inside of the head on it was almost brand new looking..

if my quad or car starts having a problem like a parts needs replaced i replace it asap typically order the part the same day i notice the problem. i cant stand stuff that doesnt run right and i was raised to take care of what you have cuz money dont grow on tree's

Old 10-21-2010, 12:46 AM   #164

So 1200cc oil capacity is that roughly 1.2 L for us lay folk? I want to change out the oil on my pitster 400 before I even start it, but I'm not sure how much to refill with. I wish it had a viewing window like most bikes but if it does I haven't found it. I also noticed it has 2 fill ports on the right side of the engine. Is one for transmission oil and one for engine oil? One has a slightly smaller cap and is lower down and closer to the rear of the engine. The other two china bikes i've had only had one oil fill port so I'm a little confused. I want to change the fluids but I want to know how much of what to put where first, if that makes any sense?
Thanks for the info on how to remove the seat Finn! That really helps a lot. I have taken quite a few pics, but I am waiting until the process is complete to post them. Hopefully they will be informative.

Old 10-21-2010, 12:59 AM   #165

Quote:
Originally Posted by think
So 1200cc oil capacity is that roughly 1.2 L for us lay folk? I want to change out the oil on my pitster 400 before I even start it, but I'm not sure how much to refill with. I wish it had a viewing window like most bikes but if it does I haven't found it. I also noticed it has 2 fill ports on the right side of the engine. Is one for transmission oil and one for engine oil? One has a slightly smaller cap and is lower down and closer to the rear of the engine. The other two china bikes i've had only had one oil fill port so I'm a little confused. I want to change the fluids but I want to know how much of what to put where first, if that makes any sense?
Thanks for the info on how to remove the seat Finn! That really helps a lot. I have taken quite a few pics, but I am waiting until the process is complete to post them. Hopefully they will be informative.
Yes, 1,200cc is equivalent to 1.2 liters. If the motor doesn't have a sight glass, then it must have a dipstick; therefore, I suggest you put the engine oil in the port with the dipstick. Also, I think the engine oil port for the LXT 400 will be in the same location as the engine oil port for the Honda XR250R. Therefore, I encourage you to download the free, Honda XR250R Service Manual at the link shown in the following thread.

http://chinariders.net/modules.php?n...wtopic&t=10831

P.S. We eagerly await your photos!

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894