Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2010, 12:10 PM   #16

Greetings all ,
I am anticipating getting a exhaust and I do not want to take them(larger jets) out and then have to switch them back when my exhaust arrives. Does any know if this bike really needs larger jets with a free flowing exhaust upgrade ?? I know with some bikes raising the pin would be suffice and enough for this type of upgrade . If larger jets are not needed I would gladly switch back to the smaller jets.
Anyway I have a question about jets and sizes. So if you put larger jets in a carb. Would it not take less throttle to reach the same rpms /power output compared to the smaller ones ? Or am I thinking wrong on this? Anyway if this is the case the amount of fuel used would be driver oriented.
Thanks Barnone ! the info in your thread has been very helpful to me and all xf/xp owners ,not to mention the beautiful blips you allow us to see of your reality/creation!!! I am honored to bounce and trade info with you in order to figure the best setting for this bike.

Old 10-25-2010, 12:41 PM   #17

THIS IS JUST ME BUT:

I've lost a lot of time and energy getting aggravated fixing something that was not broken in the first place. Rejetting a bike that is running well out of the box is something I avoid.

My Q is a simple light underpowered bike that runs great.

I can remove the airbox, rejet, and install a new exhaust and still have a simple light underpowered bike, but louder, with more time and money invested.

I've chosen to leave Q stock. YMMV.

Old 10-25-2010, 01:27 PM   #18

putting a larger jet in the carb then needed just wastes fuel. Putting smaller jets then needed will waste a motor. A stock bike will prefoorm better with stock jetting usually.

if your goal is true fuel savings, go back stock and limit how far the cab can be opened up.

If you have spend lots of money to upgrade something to save fuel, your gains would be wiped out by the extra money spent.

I'm with Doc and his statement also.

Old 10-25-2010, 02:08 PM   #19

Thanks for all the input ..
If you can gain 3 – 4 horsepower by just putting a less restrictive exhaust on a 15.4hp engine, that would be a 20 -25% gain in power. Now if you can acquire an exhaust for under a 100.00 a 20 – 25% gain (assuming you ride the same as before new exhaust) in Mpgs is a no brainer if you are looking for Mpg’s . That exhaust would pay itself off in no time.

Old 10-25-2010, 03:04 PM   #20

I agree with you milarepa999, primarily because I can't stop tuning stuff.

Doc and Cal make great points, but who knows if your China bike was optimally jetted in the first place? Doc's bike is an excellent clone of a Suzuki, but not all of our machines were so faithfully copied (some were rather pieced together).

My style is to mod for performance, and I've been impressed by the gains on our Zongshen 200cc ATV's. If the goal was MPG, I'd take a similar route with free breathing intake and exhaust, but I'd make sure that it's not too rich.

Above all, watch the plug closely.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-25-2010, 03:23 PM   #21

I will have to rejet my Lifan XR because I need to eliminate the airbox and stock air filter to make room for a battery for the electric starter.

Film at 11.... :?

Old 10-25-2010, 04:55 PM   #22

Obviously as all xf/xp owners know these bike have a copied dr200se motor . The dr200se comes stock with the 35 pilot and 125 Main jet . Knowing this the only reason I can think of for putting a 32.5 – 122.5 jets in this bike was for the sole purpose of passing emissions regulations. I know my bike ran way hot with the settings that it was set at up on arrival(32.5 pilot – 122.5 main and pin in the middle ,mixer screw turned the whole way out). The plug was light grey /whitish after I checked it for the first time. I could of raised the pin and probably would have been fine but I decided to put the stock dr200se jets in knowing I would probably get a proper exhaust, now the engines is running perfect with the screw turned less than ¼ way out (pin in the middle) and the plug is reading a real light brown close to tan , meaning not to lean or rich perfectly in the middle. Getting back to the emissions stuff , My thoughts on this are : for these small motored bikes such as the xf that come with all this emission junk /systems really makes the purpose of such a thing self defeating/ contradicting. If you can get 3 ,4,5 more HP out of these bike with the proper flowing exhaust inter gaining 20 -25% more power and 20 -25% more mpgs meaning less fuel is be used to go the same distance /do the same work inter less fuel burnt and less emission. So what I see is that restrict supposedly emission friendly exhaust on such a small motor is making you burn 20 – 25% more fuel contradicting the propose of the whole system. All emissions friendly system are logical for large motors where the percentages in power gains are negligible , as for these small motor I am not so sure.

Old 10-25-2010, 08:14 PM   #23

The only emission device that is hindering performance is the muffler that has a catalytic element in it.
It prevent evacuation and restricts power with too much back pressure.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:13 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by milarepa999
Obviously as all xf/xp owners know these bike have a copied dr200se motor . The dr200se comes stock with the 35 pilot and 125 Main jet . Knowing this the only reason I can think of for putting a 32.5 – 122.5 jets in this bike was for the sole purpose of passing emissions regulations. I know my bike ran way hot with the settings that it was set at up on arrival(32.5 pilot – 122.5 main and pin in the middle ,mixer screw turned the whole way out). The plug was light grey /whitish after I checked it for the first time. I could of raised the pin and probably would have been fine but I decided to put the stock dr200se jets in knowing I would probably get a proper exhaust, now the engines is running perfect with the screw turned less than ¼ way out (pin in the middle) and the plug is reading a real light brown close to tan , meaning not to lean or rich perfectly in the middle. Getting back to the emissions stuff , My thoughts on this are : for these small motored bikes such as the xf that come with all this emission junk /systems really makes the purpose of such a thing self defeating/ contradicting. If you can get 3 ,4,5 more HP out of these bike with the proper flowing exhaust inter gaining 20 -25% more power and 20 -25% more mpgs meaning less fuel is be used to go the same distance /do the same work inter less fuel burnt and less emission. So what I see is that restrict supposedly emission friendly exhaust on such a small motor is making you burn 20 – 25% more fuel contradicting the propose of the whole system. All emissions friendly system are logical for large motors where the percentages in power gains are negligible , as for these small motor I am not so sure.
The carb that comes with the XF/XP200 is smaller than the stock DR200 carb. Hence the smaller jets.

Old 10-25-2010, 11:33 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Quote:
Originally Posted by milarepa999
Thanks all again,
I am tring to fine tune this bike for the best possible Mpg’s. Means I am messing with jets , needle position , sprockets ex. Right now I am looking at acquiring a exhaust for this bike. I have seen all the usual exhaust stated for this bike on all the other forum and I am not particularly satisfied with the option that are used. I did like some of the exhaust the south American brothers where using but I can’t find them anywhere. So what do you guys think about this one for this bike:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Thank you!!
I think that's too much money at this power level. I'd be more inclined to use an FMF like Spud's; much better value.

I'm with you. I think that removing some exhaust restriction will free up some power, which can result in increased MPG. If you can stay off the throttle.
I agree with W&G. I was averaging 75 mpg with my Zong before I removed the very heavy, highly restrictive, stock muffer. After installing my FMF Universal Spark Arrestor, and rejetting my carburetor, my engine runs much stronger. In addition, I now consistently get 85 mpg, and even higher gas mileage. Occasionally I will get gas mileage of 95 mpg, and even 100 mpg.

The FMF Universal Spark Arrestor works very well with our small engines. This silencer is very quiet, and inexpensive. I have ridden my bike about 15,000 miles with my FMF silencer installed. I have not had any problems with excess vibration from this muffler, nor have I heard such reports from anyone else. I would certainly not pay $175 for a Lexx muffler, when the FMF silencer costs $105, and does a superb job. I highly recommend the FMF Universal Spark Arrestor; it represents an excellent value.

http://www.chinariders.net/modules.p...ewtopic&t=9937
http://chinariders.net/modules.php?n...ewtopic&t=8587

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 10-26-2010, 12:57 AM   #26

im sporting a fmf powercore 2 (2 stroke silencer) on my 4 stroke quad, bought mine used on ebay for 45 bucks shipped.. i like it, i wish i had got it new but when i paid 200 for my quad, i dont want to pay almost the same price for just a muffler..

the only thing i had to change with a 2 stroke silencer was the packing, i had to repack it with 4 stroke lexx packing.. as well as i had to buy a new carb cuz the carb that came with a quad had a funky style pilot jet. so i switched the very loved mikuni 30mm carb that most of us quad guys use on this site for the ease of finding jets. also rejetted my carb from the stock 20 pilot and 100 main jet to a 25 pilot and 110 main with the needle clip in the center postion for the motor to run the best..

you wont know if you have to rejet untill you put the exhaust on and take it for a spin. if i where you id hope to not have to rejet but id also expect to. take it for a ride before and after the install, pay attention to how it sounds and feels. if you notice bogging, hesitation, back firing after the install then the jets need to get played with.

the good thing about the lexx muffler is how you can tune it for sound or performance. if you ride in forest/park land you will have to have a spark arrestor (mine didnt come with one) for your bike to be legal to ride on that land. if you are caught with out a spark arrester you could be fined.

get on youtube and do some research for videos of bikes and maybe quads that have the muffler you want and the same engine size to get a idea of the sound of the muffler.. but if you want to save some cash the universal fmf muffler is a good cheap choice

Old 10-26-2010, 11:26 PM   #27

My lifan factory everything gets ~70 MPG and I drive it like I stole it most of the time. SAFELY sole it that is

daddy 8)

Old 10-27-2010, 08:39 AM   #28

daddt469,

"SAFELY sole it that is" Good one. That made me chuckle.

Old 10-27-2010, 10:28 AM   #29

Thank you all for the loving kind good hearted replies!!