Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2010, 03:18 PM   #16

ah ok, for some reason i thought you were looking for a bicycle speedometer type thing, but now that ive read i think i have found a super cheap and simple solutiont to remembering the last 3 digits

just lock it on your crossbar and your good to go!

Old 10-25-2010, 03:21 PM   #17

Very creative!

Use can also use it to secure the bike as a disk brake lock when parking it in unsafe areas. WA wins the Good Idea Contest for today!

BTW, WA, I wish you were here to help me retrofit the Lifan engine into my XR!

Old 10-25-2010, 03:52 PM   #18

WA,
Bingo. That lock will do the trick. I have some of those around here or in Florida.
Thanks

Old 10-26-2010, 01:53 AM   #19

I don't know if it's what you're looking for but Wally world has a digital Speedo/odo/trip/etc/etc/ for mountain bikes. It's made by shwinn and costs around 10 dollars. I've put one on every chinabike I've owned. It's very accurate and cheap. Reads up to 99 mph. I don't think many of us will be going faster than that This is the first bike I've had without a tripometer. This Shwinn thing had one, but I've never had to use it. It may reset the trip-o after every ride which would be counter productive. I just installed one but haven't tried the trip-o yet. I'll report my findings.

Old 10-26-2010, 03:56 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
Very creative!

Use can also use it to secure the bike as a disk brake lock when parking it in unsafe areas. WA wins the Good Idea Contest for today!...
X2! Also, you are likely to forget to bring the aviation gadget, or another gadget, when you are heading off to ride. However, you will never forget the combination lock if you keep it secured to your crossbar!

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 10-26-2010, 08:24 AM   #21

I use those kind of locks on my XT225 to lock my poor man's panniers (plastic ammo boxes) on my XT225. Thanks.

Old 10-26-2010, 11:41 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
Quote:
Very creative!

Use can also use it to secure the bike as a disk brake lock when parking it in unsafe areas. WA wins the Good Idea Contest for today!...
X2! Also, you are likely to forget to bring the aviation gadget, or another gadget, when you are heading off to ride. However, you will never forget the combination lock if you keep it secured to your crossbar!

Spud
WA, being his usual creative self, really solved this problem.

Old 10-26-2010, 12:01 PM   #23

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
Quote:
Very creative!

Spud
WA, being his usual creative self, really solved this problem.
I agree. It refreshes my soul whenever I observe anyone, especially a young man, who is either inventive, or willing to entertain an original thought!

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 10-26-2010, 12:32 PM   #24

thanks guys your too kind.

Old 10-26-2010, 08:22 PM   #25

LOL,
My memory is bad too and I'd wonder why there was a lock on my xbar. I'm going to go with the vapor method. I figure for ~160 I'll just get it done like it looks like it belongs on the bike. I'm wondering how the tach can hook up tho..... The computer as a few different protective casings that are nice. I like the one that allows you to select your own icons, L & R turn, N, and highbeams. With a tach, a digital odo+trip and a nice big speedo I don't see a downside other than the cost. I am going to make this happen as soon as I get the cash and I will in true daddy fashion take lots of picts. Prolly need some serious guidance to get the tach to work tho......Or maybe the instructions will shed some light.....

Daddy 8)

Old 10-26-2010, 08:34 PM   #26

You hook the Trail Tech Vapor tachometer wire onto the input post of the ignition coil.

Also, make sure you order the Vapor computer kit with the proper temperature sensor for your water cooled engine. If you have any questions regarding which Vapor computer kit you should order, call Trail Tech; I hear they give great customer service.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 10-26-2010, 09:13 PM   #27

this is where i got the idea to hook up my tach to the signal wire going into the coil. the instructions say to just wrap the wire going from the tach to the spark plug wire around the plug wire a few times.. i figure stripping the end of the wire back a half inch and putting in the spade terminal would give a better rpm signal then just wrapping it around the plug wire

Old 10-26-2010, 10:31 PM   #28

I just spent a about 20 minutes on their site. They make it very straight forward with zero BS and fluff about how to install it even if you don't own one of the Big 3. Sold. Just need to scrape together some cash....

Daddy 8)

Old 10-26-2010, 10:51 PM   #29

Regarding the wheel size:
Rear tire size (stock) 4.60 X 18 rim 2.75
Front Tire size (stock) 3.00 x 21 rim 1.85

I would take a photo, but it is dark in my garage and the blackberry only takes marginal photos at best, but I assure you all that is correct and directly off the sidewall.

Daddy 8)

Both the front and the rear have enough room for an over sized tire if your were so inclined.

Old 10-27-2010, 12:11 AM   #30

im deff buying a vapor when my motor in my quad goes and i have to replace it.. figure i could swap the temp sensor to the intake manifold and use it as a intake temp sensor..

ive heard nothing but good reviews on trail tech stuff and the guys down at tj's (local ktm shop) swear by them if you have a need for one..