Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2007, 01:16 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
If you were stopping in that big of hurry wouldn't you just pull in the clutch and hit the brakes?

I think it should be fine as long as you can get used to it... But really, the important thing is your comfortable with it... Not wether or not we are..
if you downshift and pop the clutch I think you'll find you stop alot faster than just hitting the breaks.

Old 04-25-2007, 03:52 PM   #17

While my Kinroad is a rotary shift 5 down pattern it only goes from 5th to first when I am sitting still or going very slow. Any speed above what you could expect with a comfortable rpm in 2nd gear, it will not allow you to shift back into 1st. It is safe. The operators ability to break old habits and where to find 2nd gear is the biggest problem.

It just takes getting used to. I fixed this problem by giving this bike to my girlfriends son, with no gear pattern experience and I got a Roketa with 1 down 4 up pattern for myself. I still find my self occasionally confused looking for 2nd gear... On the Roketa after riding the Kinroad for a while.

Best of Luck!!

Live Free and ride!

NET

Old 04-25-2007, 04:18 PM   #18

Send a message via Yahoo to maf119l
I have a 4 wheeler with shift pattern like RN1234.Once it reaches the end of shift pattern it just wont shift anymore.It's more embarising(?) than anything else when i go backwards after i thought i put it in 1st

Old 04-26-2007, 01:17 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewEnglandTrails
While my Kinroad is a rotary shift 5 down pattern it only goes from 5th to first when I am sitting still or going very slow. Any speed above what you could expect with a comfortable rpm in 2nd gear, it will not allow you to shift back into 1st. It is safe. The operators ability to break old habits and where to find 2nd gear is the biggest problem.
Thanks newengland, I think mine is the same. At least my bike is equipt with a gear indicater, and it shows 012345.

I just got a call from our insurance agent,(State farm) and under the same policy as our house, my bike only costs 600$ a year to insure. If we switch our car to state farm as well, only $365, a year for my bike. In Canada, these prices are SUPER CHEAP Super SUPER CHEAP! I thought they we going to nail me for 2000$, or at least $1500. WOOOHOOO! I can't afford to not put this bike on the road.

I phoned 4 different agents who specialize in motorcycle insurance to see what they would charge, they all said that they don't touch Chinese bikes.
FYI State Farm in Canada determines your motorcycle insurance based on demerits against your "G" or car driving record.

A dollar a day for insurance, and another dollar for gas. I'll soon have the cash for street tires, 42 tooth sprocket, and Locktite.

I'm going to learn the wonky shift pattern, take it slow, and try like hell to keep the shiny side UP

Old 04-26-2007, 05:55 AM   #20

As many have said before there is nothing inherently "dangerous" about this different shift pattern. Us older folks have ridden bikes that were different with no ill effects and we're still around to talk about it. The rotary transmission is actually more efficient and faster shifting. That's why many 125 and 250 Gran Prix bikes use them. IMHO you will be a better rider for mastering this than someone that only rides a standard. When riding, as opposed to driving, all body parts must work in unison and independantly at the same time. Watch a MotoGP or Baja race and see the guys adjusting foot placement, butt position, elbows, knees..... These guys are at the pinnacle of riding. As we learn we start with clutch and throttle control, then work our way up from there.

All bikes are different; some differences are more subtle than others.

Old 04-26-2007, 07:48 AM   #21

[quote="new2riding, my bike only costs 600$ [/quote]

Not to take this off topic but HOLY CRAP!!! What is going on up there that it costs you $600 to insure your bike? And what kind of coverage is that?

I saw no need in putting anything other than liability on my bike and with all the state minimums it was only $80/year through Geico.

But back to the rotaty tranny, I'm sure you'll get used to it with some time. Although, I think it would be funny if you let a friend of yours (who is familiar with motorcycles) take it for a "spin" but don't tell him about the tranny.

Old 04-26-2007, 07:59 AM   #22

[quote=Penguini66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "new2riding, my bike only costs 600$ [/quote

Not to take this off topic but HOLY CRAP!!! What is going on up there that it costs you $600 to insure your bike? And what kind of coverage is that?

I saw no need in putting anything other than liability on my bike and with all the state minimums it was only $80/year through Geico.

But back to the rotaty tranny, I'm sure you'll get used to it with some time. Although, I think it would be funny if you let a friend of yours (who is familiar with motorcycles) take it for a "spin" but don't tell him about the tranny.
Only if you want your bike hurt.

No one rides my odd-shifting bikes. Parts are too hard to come by, and all it takes is one mistake. Broken up bike, maybe broken up buddy.

I did let a guy try once years ago, on the BSA. The minute he tapped the brake lever to put it into gear, it was over. Never did it since.

Heck, most people cant even start it!

Practice , and soon it will be thoughtless. You will probably be a better rider for it, more attuned to what gear you are in. Sometimes I reach for 6th gear on a 5 speed bike, you wont.

Old 04-26-2007, 09:57 AM   #23

CANADA_____Insurance.
Hey riders from USA try this, I know a new rider in canada, who got a quote for his HONDA-POTTAMUS 1200cc, $2800 for his first year. Now think about my $365 a year. Thats why I'm so happy.

Thank-you for your knowledge folks, I guess we can let this thread die off now. Most of my fears have been taken care of.

I've got some good pictures of my bike to show all that I am really a china rider, but I don't know how to post them. Can I send a pic by regular e-mail to someone at china riders and get them to post a pic or two for me. It's Jaguar dark green. My next door neighbor has 2 nice Jap bikes and he really likes the look of my bike, really made me smile. 150cc DS.

Old 04-26-2007, 11:48 AM   #24

Send a message via Yahoo to TheOtherRide
You can upload your pics to a site like www.photobucket.com (it's free). Each photo will have the IMG code, which you can then copy and paste right into your posts.

Frostbite had a post a while ago talking about Canadian insurance rates...they do run a lot higher than U.S. And your health insurance is through the government, right? So vehicle insurance doesn't even include that, just vehicle damage, if I understand it correctly.

Old 04-26-2007, 12:33 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherRide
You can upload your pics to a site like www.photobucket.com (it's free). Each photo will have the IMG code, which you can then copy and paste right into your posts.

Frostbite had a post a while ago talking about Canadian insurance rates...they do run a lot higher than U.S. And your health insurance is through the government, right? So vehicle insurance doesn't even include that, just vehicle damage, if I understand it correctly.
Thank princess for the photo bucket tip! I'll do it.

We don't pay health ins. Its covered. Were Canadian.

But if we need surgery fast, (cancer or the like) We sell our homes and visit a USA hospital.

Old 04-26-2007, 02:16 PM   #26

i have a rotery tranny

i have had no problems with the rotary tranny, just have to get used to it,

i have a 2006 new star with a standard pushrod motor.

oh mine will NOT go from 5 to 1 ,
you have to go back down through the gears back to 1st.

it doesn't actually go in a circle,, its just called a rotary for some reason,.

no need to worry.

Old 04-26-2007, 07:02 PM   #27

Well we do still have to pay them for health insurance... though it is very cheap its like 30 dollars every 3 months or something...

You can also post images here by signing up at the gallery... click on gallery on the top menu, and click register... you may have to wait a few days for frostbite to approve your gallery membership... Use the same name as your forum account.

Old 04-26-2007, 07:46 PM   #28

It's called a rotary because of the way the shift drum sits inside the gear cluster. most of these transmissions have a very light duty stop between 1 and 5 that can be overpowered by a heavy foot. If this happens it will allow the transmission to go round and round thru the gears.

Old 04-26-2007, 10:15 PM   #29

Thanks jim that's the way to go, but every time it rains my dial up takes a dive. Right now I'm at 9600bps I'll post in an hour or two.

Old 04-27-2007, 12:50 AM   #30

Actually mine does go right over the top. Now, will it do it at speed, I don't know. Don't really want to try. Also, neutral isn't a half click.

I'm thinking about getting the kind of foot shifter that is set up like a ballance on a set of scales. Tap the front, I increase gears. Tap the back I go down gears. You see them on Harly's and highway bikes. :roll: