Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2022, 07:35 AM   #271

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
280 head temp on an air cooled bike is pretty decent. Heck anything below 300 is actually pretty cool running for an air cooled bike. That engine is decently powerful but still has fairly low compression, so it shouldn't be too incredibly hot.
Good to know.
Coming from hot rods I know we want to keep the oil sump hot enough to boil the water off, but I’m used to oil temps in the 230-250* range.
Of course, I also had massive radiators.
Hot oil, and cold coolant.

And every time I see someone mention low compression I have to wonder how a bike would handle a *tiny* shot of nitrous lol.
2023 Royal Enfield Classic 350 “Trigger”

Old 06-07-2022, 02:03 PM   #272

Knowledge check-my manual for the Templar got packed up due to my being in the middle of a move.
What does it call for valve clearance specs?

Old 06-07-2022, 03:48 PM   #273

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okierider View Post
Knowledge check-my manual for the Templar got packed up due to my being in the middle of a move.
It doesn't In the service interval table, it does say check it after 1 hour of operation, then at 20 hours, then every 50 hours.

But I looked cover to cover, and the procedure/specs are NOT there (nice color wiring diagram though!).

We will have to go by Zongshen numbers for the engine.
I set my 229cc engines (Zongshen) to
0.05mm-0.07mm Exhaust, and
0.03mm-0.05mm Intake.
Maybe shoot for middle of the range until someone finds a specification for the engine. I understand that the exhaust setting is to make sure that there is still some clearance when it gets hot. intake not so much of an issue.

Old 06-07-2022, 09:04 PM   #274

I’ll have to dig through the last 20 pages but Nutcracker came up with some from watching foreign YouTube videos about the bike.

So finally got the Mikuni 28 hooked up. Fit the rubber nipple to the head perfectly. Smaller than the stock unit so easy to get in, but the fuel nipple is substantially larger than the stock one so that took some finessing.
Fired it up and after I realized that I had left it on choke (why does it sound like it’s exploding?!) I started tuning per the Mikuni OZ instructional videos.
Ho
Lee
Krap

It doesn’t even sound like the same bike. Much, much more presence. Where the stock exhaust was somewhat quiet, tinny and almost whisky, this is full throated and quite a bit louder, much more base. Sounds much more powerful.
As for throttle response-orders of magnitude better. Slammed from idle to full throttle and the bike just revs, much faster than stock. There is obviously more air/fuel making it into the bike now.
I don’t even have it fully assembled lol. I just threw a foam sock over the intake side of the carb to see if it would start and boy did it. Tomorrow (assuming I’m still here and not blown away to Oz, I’ll put the intake boot and airbox back together and start thoroughly tuning. I understand that carbs require a somewhat longer intake and can’t run well without a velocity stack funneling air into it so I’m sure it’ll run even better…God willing.

Also received my 40 tooth sprocket today. Lots to do with this bike but so little time.

Edit: Forgot to add, there is one issue-the intake manifold was made to mate to a 50mm OD carburetor, as the stock model is.
The VM28 is only 44mm OD.
So, I need to add 6mm of shims to make it work lol.
I’m currently looking for some 44mm ID rubber hose. Failing that 3mm rubber sheeting. Self adhesive would be great but I can glue it in place, then crank down on the hose clamp over the intake.

Last edited by Okierider; 06-07-2022 at 09:34 PM.

Old 06-07-2022, 11:31 PM   #275

I just reinstalled the OEM YouAll smooth bore PE 28, YUP, it is a polished carb! Bumped stock jets:
Main, 120 to 125
Pilot, 40 to 45.
Shimmed the needle with one washer (about 1mm). The needle is held down by a simple pinch released disk. Cool! And the heavy duty carb spring holds that down too. AND, the slide is polished too!

I like this stock carb. And the air filter is a large oiled cover-high flow!! I will post photos of the polished smoothbore. Impressive. This whole bike is amazing!

I set intake to 0.04mm, exhaust to 0.05mm
Both were a little tighter, but had gap. The valve stem contacts on the Zongshen 249cc CB250F have swiveling heads!

Last edited by Thumper; 06-08-2022 at 05:56 AM.

Old 06-07-2022, 11:38 PM   #276

Quote:
Engine warm calls for Intake .06mm Exhaust .08mm.

Old 06-07-2022, 11:42 PM   #277

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
I just reinstalled the OEM YouAll smooth bore PE 28, YUP, it is a polished carb! Bumped stock jets:
Main, 120 to 125
Pilot, 40 to 45.
Shimmed the needle with one washer (about 1mm). The needle is held down by a simple pinch released disk. Cool! And the heavy duty carb spring holds that down too. AND, the slide is polished too!

I like this stock carb. I will post photos of the polished smoothbore. Impressive. This whole bike is amazing!
Does is operate as well as Okieriders Mikuni 28? Whats the results?

Old 06-08-2022, 05:59 AM   #278

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutcracker View Post

I haven't got it all back together yet.

Old 06-08-2022, 06:04 AM   #279

Quote:
I’m not sure we could really say unless we met up.
Interesting note: even my wife noticed. I came in from the garage sure now that my pilot jet (60 from the factory, 200 main) is too large per Mikuni tuning guides, and wifey asks “Are you done? It sounds SO much better!”
No dear…tinkering isn’t never done lol

Last edited by Okierider; 06-08-2022 at 03:01 PM.

Old 06-08-2022, 06:00 PM   #280

Quote:
I’m not sure we could really say unless we met up.
Interesting note: even my wife noticed. I came in from the garage sure now that my pilot jet (60 from the factory, 200 main) is too large per Mikuni tuning guides, and wifey asks “Are you done? It sounds SO much better!”
No dear…tinkering isn’t never done lol
HaHa, But true! I will have a clue anyway. I didn't open up the gaps (valves) as high at 0.07", but I am riding it light for now (first good oil only has a couple of hours on it!

But here are a couple of picks of the OEM YouALL carb I took before I put it back on.

Here it is after re-install, viewed through the beefy frame stays (really astonishing quality/stiffness). Keep in mind, the bike weighs in at 258lbs, just a little more than a KTM 250.

Last edited by Thumper; 06-09-2022 at 09:00 AM.

Old 06-08-2022, 07:16 PM   #281

Quote:
HaHa, But true! I will have a clue anyway. I didn't open up the gaps (valves) as high at 0.07mm, but I am riding it light for now (first good oil only has a couple of hours on it!

But here are a couple of picks of the OEM YouALL carb I took before I put it back on.

Here it is after re-install, viewed through the beefy frame stays (really astonishing quality/stiffness). Keep in mind, the bike weighs in at 258lbs, just a little more than a KTM 250.

How did you get pics to load?
I’ve given up on loading them from my iPhone.

Took the bike around the yard a few times. Pilot is definitely too large (60).
As soon as I get out of the pilot stage, past 1/4 throttle, this thing screams! My 200 main may be a bit rich but damn, it goes. Pulls so damn hard in the midrange I can’t get past 3/4 throttle in 1st or 2nd. I’ll need to get it on the road to check WOT, and all the roads around here are flooded right now lol.

Old 06-08-2022, 09:00 PM   #282

Pics. I use a Panasonic SLR digital camera, and post them on a photohosting website. Links only.

Test ride after
Main, 120 to 125
Pilot, 40 to 45.
Shimmed the needle with one washer (about 1mm).

No popping on deceleration, or "misfire" midrange anymore. Responsive and flawless!

It sounds exactly the same. It just runs better. But I connected it to the OEM big oil soaked air filter intake. Maybe you have more induction sound bypassing the intake filter. No idea how it could sound different?

Old 06-09-2022, 12:04 AM   #283

Quote:
Pics. I use a Panasonic SLR digital camera, and post them on a photohosting website. Links only.

Test ride after
Main, 120 to 125
Pilot, 40 to 45.

No popping on deceleration, or "misfire" midrange anymore. Responsive and flawless!

It sounds exactly the same. It just runs better. But I connected it to the OEM big oil soaked air filter intake. Maybe you have more induction sound bypassing the intake filter. No idea how it could sound different?
I like the way you've done this. I was thinking maybe this was not a real You-All carb but after seeing the pics Im doing the same as you. What Jets did you use on this? Can you post a link? Simple to add a small shim washer. How did you fasten the bowl back after cutting the studs?

Old 06-09-2022, 02:57 AM   #284

Quote:

Test ride after
Main, 120 to 125
Pilot, 40 to 45.

Photohosting website…
It’s like 2005 LS1tech forums all over again. I haven’t used one of those in a very long time lol.

Old 06-09-2022, 05:07 AM   #285

Quote:
How did you fasten the bowl back after cutting the studs?
I did not cut the heads off the screws. I cut a flathead slot into them with a Dremel and reused them. I got Allen bolt replacements but they were the wrong size !!!

The jets were from one of two sources. The pilot jets were from a kit I got from Amazon, and the mains were from AliExpress or Alibaba. I will find the Amazon link. Alibaba links always change. Maybe I can find it.

UPDATE. The main jets in the kit from Amazon also fit...The jet kit is described as this at amazon:
Supermotorparts 10Pcs Carburetor Main Jets kit & 10Pcs Slow Pilot Jets for PWK Keihin OKO CVK PWM
$12

Name:  JetKit.jpg
Views: 926
Size:  43.0 KB

Last edited by Thumper; 06-09-2022 at 08:05 AM.