Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2023, 04:52 PM   #16

Buying new is always an adventure. When I bought my RE Interceptor, they wouldn't budge on any of their in-house fees, but ended up taking 1200.00 off the MSRP after some back-and-forth. Tomato, Tomahto. All the numbers worked in the end. I got an acceptable deal, they made some dough, everyone was happy.

The RE's aren't powerhouses on paper, but every bit of the power usable and in the right places. My Interceptor's numbers don't compare to other 650's out there. My old V-Strom 650 would kill it.....but the V-Strom got sold for various reasons. It didn't matter how much power it had. The bike was a mess of Tupperware and a royal pain to wrench on. Since I do all my own work, that makes a difference to me. It didn't matter what I wanted to do to it, ten minutes of plastic had to be removed. Let's not even discuss valve adjustments. Sheesh...

Regarding the Interceptor, the power delivery is the friendliest I've ever ridden and I have yet to run short of power anywhere I've wanted it. Makes it a pleasure to ride. The bike is also incredibly simple to work on. I'll gladly give up a little 0-60 time these days for other advantages......like a valve adjustment that can be easily done within an hour and not have my shop look like a yard sale of plastic parts.

Working a deal right now with my DRZ, so I can bring a Scram 411 into the stable. I love my DRZ and have done a bunch to it, but but....but......

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 05-22-2023, 04:55 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
All five of my motos are air cooled and that is what I like.
I found the odds of a coolant spill are in direct proportion to how many pets are in the shop at the time you loosen the hose clamp.

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 06-10-2023, 04:06 PM   #18

Yeah, I bought my Royal Enfield Continental GT (Rocker Red=faster) from D2 Powersports. $7800 otd. Disappointing but I love the bike so much that I’m ok with it. Crazy low interest rate from Navy Federal helps too.
Just put a Hawk DLX on layaway as it was a discreet way of buying another bike.

Old 06-12-2023, 09:01 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimac View Post
The biggest issue with all of the Royal Enfields is their power to weight ratio, compared to their competitors. While they aren't inherently bad bikes, they just don't seem to deliver comparable performance, even allowing for being built at a price point.
There is a problem in the motorcycle world and it is that everyone seems to think that every single motorcycle should be like a superbike.
The Himalayan is a mule, is not fast it was never designed to be fast. It's an air cooled long stroke single cylinder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimac View Post
Compare apples to apples. ADV bike to ADV bike. They all have a "classic look". If all you are looking for is the occasional putt down a logging road or dirt-a Honda 150/160 ADV scooter can do that, or most low cost China 200-250cc street/dirt bikes can do that well, and they don't weight 439 lbs(dry).If you're looking to do some serious trail riding, you need some speed to get there and power once you do.

No not really, you need some speed and power if you are in a competition trying to reach #1.
Those Himalayan have been tested and they can endure and do some of the harshest rides out there.
No you are not going to compete with it.
No you are not going to do some crazy jumps with it

Old 06-12-2023, 10:32 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Dog View Post
There is a problem in the motorcycle world and it is that everyone seems to think that every single motorcycle should be like a superbike.
The Himalayan is a mule, is not fast it was never designed to be fast. It's an air cooled long stroke single cylinder.

No not really, you need some speed and power if you are in a competition trying to reach #1.
Those Himalayan have been tested and they can endure and do some of the harshest rides out there.
No you are not going to compete with it.
No you are not going to do some crazy jumps with it
Coming from a RE detractor in the past, I can say I'm completely hooked now.

Both of my RE's provide feedback like I've never experienced from any of my Japanese bikes. These things are in constant communication.
No, not powerful, but as stated, the Himalayan is a mule. Plus, both of them sip gas for their size.

My Interceptor is probably the nicest bike I've owned. Smooth, tractable power. Very comfortable and handles very well. The Scram, even at just 25hp, will do freeway speed all day. Best way to explain it? Both of my RE's are simply a pleasure to ride.

Both bikes have been super easy to work on and service. Nothing is hidden. RE makes them to be worked on by their owners. Do they "cheap out" in certain areas to keep the price point down? Yep. They use standard, generic switch gear, but it all works. The motors, frames, etc is where they've concentrated their efforts. RE bought Harris Performance and that's who makes their frames. Very rigid.

I got my Scram 411 just under 5500 OTD. (3999 plus their fees, CA DMV, and taxes). For here, that's a smokin deal. My Interceptor was just over 7 OTD. No complaints here. Brand new, quality built bikes for under 10 OTD? I'll take it. Priced a Japanese bike lately? RE found a way to be between the inexpensive China Bike, and the grossly over-priced Japanese bike, and provide the perfect compromise, in my eyes.

What can I say. I'm a convert. I'm in love. After building a bunch of rocket ships, I've discovered that max power isn't everything. Tractable, usable power is more important to me now. I'll probably sell everything but Q and just keep these. I guess you just have to ride one to get it.

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 06-12-2023, 11:16 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Coming from a RE detractor in the past, I can say I'm completely hooked now.

Both of my RE's provide feedback like I've never experienced from any of my Japanese bikes. These things are in constant communication.
No, not powerful, but as stated, the Himalayan is a mule. Plus, both of them sip gas for their size.
I blame it on youtube and instagram, it seems that people thinks that if the motorcycle is not used by "pros" is not good enough.

The himalayan is a very capable adv motorcycles. It lacks HP, but it has plenty of torque. That torque can be reach at very low rpm.

Old 06-12-2023, 12:54 PM   #22

putting the 650 in the himi would be a big step forward

Bikes I've owned: Suzuki GS450T, Yamaha XS500, Honda V45 Sabre, Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic (2), Suzuki VX800, Kawasaki Ninja 650, Triumph TT600, Honda Superhawk, Kawasaki Concours 1000 (3, including a sidecar rig), Buell XB9R, Kawasaki Nomad 1500, Concours 14, Honda Goldwing (2), Housen Hawk, Suzuki Intruder 1400, Kawasaki KLR650, Victory V92TC.

Old 06-12-2023, 04:14 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport Rider View Post
I can see that regarding market competition. After all, some don't think its an adv bike unless it has over 1000cc's.
Personally? When it comes to off-road, anything over 400-500cc's just gets too damn heavy. My V-Strom, which some consider a capable off-roader, was an absolute tank. I couldn't even imagine taking it, or spilling it, on anything even remotely technical. I guess my opinion is based more on my MX background than ADV though.

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 06-12-2023, 07:25 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport Rider View Post
The Himalayan weighs about as much as the Interceptor. This is pretty feasible actually. And RE could easily come out with a 650 Scram model. But since they are coming out with a liquid-cooled 450, they have made the calculation that this would be the better bike. No doubt they are listening to customer feedback on the current Himi, and know what owners want.

Dry weights:
Scram, 408 lbs
Himalayan, 439 lbs
Interceptor, 444 lbs
1969 Honda CT90--The Tomahto
Cheesy is the WDK (workplace drama king). Now retired. Nope, back in the saddle.
Climate: The Movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A24fWmNA6lM
How our government really works https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjadCd0VRBw
Question all authority.....think for yourself

Old 06-13-2023, 11:22 AM   #25

I bought a RE Scram411 in Feb, hoping to spend my summer f*cking off in the Cascades this summer (it’s not quite working out as I planned, but we are getting there.) I looked at options for a used BS6 Himmy - the newest generation of Himalayans are a redesign for a lot of known issues to include, you know, the frame breaking while in use (early years could that - bad feature) and in the end bout a new Scram from my local dealer… who met ever competing quote, and was up front about his markup and overhead. I’ve no qualms about getting parts from them - they’re a great shop (even put stuff in the mail to me.)

Some of the big stuff? Straight from India, via eBay, from the OEM suppliers… like every RE owner does. There’s a whole game to it. But, I have to say… the stuff arrives fast and intact and in real-deal RE. And, of course, there’s a huge after market for the bikes in India, so there are a lot of choices - my racks are an aftermarket design but I had different goals (panniers or fuel, and no change of things hanging down to the mufflers).

And the bike? I love it. Low price entry, indestructible, tons of parts and ease of availability, DIY, rides well, good weight, I could take it anywhere, from downtown to across America to across the BDRs. Yes, I could trick out a new EFI KLR650 or build out a $10k KTM into a lightweight monster better suited to do this but for the out the door price for this, it’s more than ideal.

Last edited by McQueen216; 06-13-2023 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Thanks, Siri, for deleting half my post

Old 06-16-2023, 10:01 AM   #26

New 450 vid out yesterday.

1969 Honda CT90--The Tomahto
Cheesy is the WDK (workplace drama king). Now retired. Nope, back in the saddle.
Climate: The Movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A24fWmNA6lM
How our government really works https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjadCd0VRBw
Question all authority.....think for yourself

Old 06-16-2023, 10:17 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by McQueen216 View Post
I bought a RE Scram411 in Feb, hoping to spend my summer f*cking off in the Cascades this summer (it’s not quite working out as I planned, but we are getting there.) I looked at options for a used BS6 Himmy - the newest generation of Himalayans are a redesign for a lot of known issues to include, you know, the frame breaking while in use (early years could that - bad feature) and in the end bout a new Scram from my local dealer… who met ever competing quote, and was up front about his markup and overhead. I’ve no qualms about getting parts from them - they’re a great shop (even put stuff in the mail to me.)

Some of the big stuff? Straight from India, via eBay, from the OEM suppliers… like every RE owner does. There’s a whole game to it. But, I have to say… the stuff arrives fast and intact and in real-deal RE. And, of course, there’s a huge after market for the bikes in India, so there are a lot of choices - my racks are an aftermarket design but I had different goals (panniers or fuel, and no change of things hanging down to the mufflers).

And the bike? I love it. Low price entry, indestructible, tons of parts and ease of availability, DIY, rides well, good weight, I could take it anywhere, from downtown to across America to across the BDRs. Yes, I could trick out a new EFI KLR650 or build out a $10k KTM into a lightweight monster better suited to do this but for the out the door price for this, it’s more than ideal.
McQueen! Good to see you here. Excellent crowd, friendly and helpful regardless of what a person rides. You're absolutely right about parts from India.They arrive amazingly fast for the most part, are inexpensive and come mummified so they always arrive unscathed.
Welcome to China Riders.

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 08-27-2023, 03:50 PM   #28

Happy Halloween?

https://www.topspeed.com/the-royal-e...a-launch-date/

A 450cc 40HP single will make anywhere from 80-120 mph. Knowing how much RE detunes things for euro emissions I would expect top speed 80-90mph. But will have to wait and see what the actual released version of the bike does.
- #42 / #120 Jets
- 1mm thick nitrile O-ring needle shim (removed)
- Kenda K761 Dual Sport Tires
- Sedona Standard Thickness Inner Tubes
- Stock OEM battery, carburetor, spark plug still going strong
- https://youtu.be/dhAYEKH-jFQ

1. Texas Pete's Templar X 250 Torque Specifications Sheet
  2. Texas Pete's Engine Displacement Calculator
  3. Texas Pete's Tire and Rim Compatibility

Old 08-27-2023, 03:51 PM   #29

- #42 / #120 Jets
- 1mm thick nitrile O-ring needle shim (removed)
- Kenda K761 Dual Sport Tires
- Sedona Standard Thickness Inner Tubes
- Stock OEM battery, carburetor, spark plug still going strong
- https://youtu.be/dhAYEKH-jFQ

1. Texas Pete's Templar X 250 Torque Specifications Sheet
  2. Texas Pete's Engine Displacement Calculator
  3. Texas Pete's Tire and Rim Compatibility

Old 08-28-2023, 08:46 AM   #30

Priced at 6500 puts it right against the base KLR650. Given the 40/30 power specs, it's a good option, assuming it's a bit lighter. 21/19 tires are excellent size. wonder how bullet-proof it will be given the 411 has had some nagging issues.

Bikes I've owned: Suzuki GS450T, Yamaha XS500, Honda V45 Sabre, Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic (2), Suzuki VX800, Kawasaki Ninja 650, Triumph TT600, Honda Superhawk, Kawasaki Concours 1000 (3, including a sidecar rig), Buell XB9R, Kawasaki Nomad 1500, Concours 14, Honda Goldwing (2), Housen Hawk, Suzuki Intruder 1400, Kawasaki KLR650, Victory V92TC.