Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2015, 01:52 AM   #61

This strikes me as a good deal, with two complete sets: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-Two-Mini...item2edc1451d2

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-12-2015, 03:58 AM   #62

That seems like a very good deal.

/

Old 05-12-2015, 12:26 PM   #63

Good info on those micro numbered drill bits and pin vices!

I double checked my sprockets and chain last evening.

Chain is 428... 124 links
Counter sprocket is 15T (on 20mm shaft)
Rear sprocket is 46T

I bought a 17T front sprocket and 130 link RK 428H chain. That should help me get a little more speed for on-road traveling.

In Test Run mode... or as I like to call it... Mad-Max mode!

Cheers!
'07 Kinroad XT200GY Runmaster (sold)
'07 KMD GY6 150cc ATV (sold)
'07 Kangchao 250cc ATV Monster (sold)
Baja Moto DB-30 "Doodlebugs"(x3) (sold)
'06 Hi-Bird 200 parts bike (sold)

Old 05-12-2015, 09:12 PM   #64

No disrespect intended when I say that I much prefer the bike without the tank shrouds. It looks like there's room for a larger MX tank, like from an XR.

BTW, I'm really looking forward to the new Mad Max movie.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-13-2015, 06:59 PM   #65

Haha! Yeah... I sorta like the naked look too! I'm not in any hurry to put the pretty plastics back on... except maybe the front fender.

Well got the bike registered and street legal yesterday. I love trips to the DMV. The bike's title was all jacked up... something about issued as ORV (off-road veh) then later tagged and titled on-road. And the paper title was issued wrong. Oh joy. Well, they sorted it all out... but I had to get new plates (extra $$)... since the old plate was for the messed up title. Then I got nicked for a late title transfer (past 15 days)... more $$... ouch! Never had an issue with that before... especially since the Bill-of-Sale says not running. I tried to explain that I wasn't going to do paperwork on it if I couldn't get it running. "Sorry dude." As is too commonly the case... the "good deal"... eventually becomes less so after it's all tallied up in the end. Haha!

At least I'm alive... and riding!

Cheers!

Old 05-13-2015, 07:01 PM   #66

You just have to love the workings of the DMV...not!

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-14-2015, 01:02 AM   #67

You'll quickly forget the DMV nonsense, but you'll long enjoy your bike.

I leave the shrouds off of the tank, but I use the side panels and the fenders.

Old 05-18-2015, 01:32 PM   #68

Well since it's street-legal now... I guess it should look the part too.

I had a broken rear turn signal... so put on a new pair of cheapie ones. They don't look too bad... and do the job.

The tail pipe in the muffler had this odd 90 degree down turn at the end. A dremel with cut-off disc and too much time with a hacksaw blade resulted in this. Maybe just a tad louder... out the back now... not down.

And here is the final product. Ready for duty. I have decided to keep the tank plastics off for the time being.

So took the Kinroad for a Sunday cruise "shake down". It's running well overall. I believe it's still a tad lean in the fueling department. I get a very slight hesitation at mid throttle from time to time. I need to remember to play with the choke to see if that has any affect next time. I also still have a turn available on the mixture screw to play with. I want to pull the screw out... and JBWeld a nut to the bottom (one that'll clear the carb bowl)... so I can more easily adjust it. Think I'll do that today.

Do these engines typically have any sort of rev limiter on them? I've wound mine out to gauge top speed and *though* I sensed a "miss" or two during my high speed run. That has me worried about possibly being too lean... but my plug, while showing lean, doesn't look danger-eminent lean. I think I'm going to need to open up my main jet (currently a #110). I've ordered a tiny tach... so should be able to read my revs soon.

The front wheel lateral wobble also needs remedied. My plan there is to spoon off the tire... loosen all the spokes and attempt to true it as seen in the videos. Hope that can do the trick. I don't want to have to find a new one.

I'm looking forward to my 17T front sprocket showing up. The 15/46 current setup is manageable... but 1st gear is so low as to be annoying on the street. And I could use another 5mph on top too.

One thing I've noticed on this bike... is the amount of engine braking it does. Reminds me of a former scooter (Honda Silverwing) I once had. When I roll off the throttle on this one... it really slows me down. I guess this is good... since it helps the brakes which aren't super-sport level. I wonder if it's another by-product of the counter-balance in the engine... more to turn over.

Cheers!

Last edited by ripcuda; 05-18-2015 at 02:28 PM. Reason: correction: choke... not enricher

Old 05-18-2015, 02:03 PM   #69

Your bike has a really clean look. If you're interested in another cosmetic change, you might like a supermoto front fender, which really cleans up the front end.

Have you tried dropping the clip one notch on the needle? That might get rid of the part-throttle hesitation.

I'd be surprised to find an enricher on your carb. Most of these bikes have an honest choke butterfly, and it will spring open under WOT. IOW, running with the choke isn't a real-world comparison to a fatter jet. You might need something larger than 110, but I doubt it.

Yes, the CDI has a rev-limiter.

You shouldn't need to remove the tire to true it.

It must be the counter-balancer that is providing an engine-braking effect, since my engine doesn't provide much braking.

Old 05-18-2015, 02:11 PM   #70

The engine braking will lessen with your sprocket change. Bike looks great. That down turn in the muffler is/was weird??? I wonder if it has something to do with that National Forest certification or whatever its called making it legal to ride your bike in the woods.

/

Old 05-18-2015, 02:26 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Your bike has a really clean look. If you're interested in another cosmetic change, you might like a supermoto front fender, which really cleans up the front end.

Have you tried dropping the clip one notch on the needle? That might get rid of the part-throttle hesitation.

I'd be surprised to find an enricher on your carb. Most of these bikes have an honest choke butterfly, and it will spring open under WOT. IOW, running with the choke isn't a real-world comparison to a fatter jet. You might need something larger than 110, but I doubt it.

Yes, the CDI has a rev-limiter.

You shouldn't need to remove the tire to true it.

It must be the counter-balancer that is providing an engine-braking effect, since my engine doesn't provide much braking.
Good tip on supermoto front fender. Mine is a giant sail blowing in the breeze!

And you are correct. I'm confusing my carbs. I'm working on my son's PW50 currently also. The PW50 carb has the enricher... the PZ30 is the one with the regular choke plate. So yeah... might not be as useful for richening anything up above idle-ish.

The needle in my carb is all the way up... clip in lowest spot. So can't gain anymore fueling there. So I'll play with my mixture screw and see how that goes.

Anyone know the common "redline" rpm for these 163fml engines... where the rev limiter might kick in?

Cheers!

Old 05-18-2015, 02:27 PM   #72

Your bike looks good; I like the new turn signals.

You have quite a restriction in the muffler outlet. If you can drill, grind, or otherwise remove that restriction, you might find a little more power from the engine. I would attempt to remove that restriction before I made any final adjustments to the carburetor.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-18-2015, 02:32 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjuster View Post
The engine braking will lessen with your sprocket change. Bike looks great. That down turn in the muffler is/was weird??? I wonder if it has something to do with that National Forest certification or whatever its called making it legal to ride your bike in the woods.
/
Good to know about the engine braking. I don't like surprises!

As for the tail pipe turn-down... good guess. I don't think that qualifies as an official spark arrestor. My sons' PW50 and TTR-90 both have the "official stamp" on the muffler about certified spark arrestors... or somethingorother. I see no such marking on the Kinroad exhaust.

Good idea. Thanks for the tip Spud!

Cheers!

Old 05-21-2015, 01:28 PM   #74

Spent a little more dremel cut-off wheel time on the tail pipe. Clean'ed up the cut... straightened it out, deburred... gtg.

So I found my next smallest drill bit above my numbered set (maxes at #61) and it turned out to be 0.0465" (#56).. or ~1.18mm (#118 jet). I hear you... don't do it... baby steps! haha. So I drilled out my old main jet I've already messed with (keeping my current good #110) and put it in. While in there... which is an annoying process to unbolt, unclamp, and rotate the carb to gain bowl access... I figured lets throw back in the ~#45 pilot jet too for good measure. I hear you... no... one change at a time! haha. So changed out my 40/110 to a 45/118. It better be rich enough now!

Based on my plug read and running over this weekend... I'm planning to figure out the best jets needed and buy them (which should flow better than my drilled ones). If I had to guess... I'm thinking it'll probably be a 40/112... or 42/115... thereabouts. We'll see.

Still waiting on the slow boat for my 17T front sprocket. And I still need to address my front rim wobble.

Next up after all that... I would like to find a firmer rear shock. I'm finding my bike bounces too much after a bump and it sags a good bit under my heft. There is sadly no preload or any adjustments on the stocker. Guess I could try to shim the spring for preload. Plus being direct to swingarm mounted shock... it's pretty short overall and not much room surrounding it. Joy. Perhaps some other China bikes have a stiffer shock that could work... but how to find them...

Cheers!

Old 05-21-2015, 07:43 PM   #75

Some say a drilled out jet will actually work better as the rougher surface gets the fuel swirling and more inclined to go to vapor. If you do have a jet working right I would not change it no matter what.....when it is working right how much better can it work?