Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2011, 09:59 PM   #1

RESISTANCE IS FUTILE..."New" Zong in the house

Picked up a neglected but fairly well running intact Zong yesterday afternoon. Only reads 139 miles but without a speedometer cable, who knows. The telltale signs indicate relatively low milage. Besides a bend to the handlebars, a chain that has likely never been adjusted, and plastics that have seen way to much sun, the bike seems to start and ride well.

And for the pics...

Sun faded profile pic, notice the shiny bolt in the footpeg mount...see below for post inspection surprise!

But no despair, the bike also came with a fresh set of black plastics, although I do prefer the orange!

This one is for you Doc the parasitic balance shaft lets the engine rev to the top w/ caddy smoothness! I like!

Slight flaw here...I'm missing one of the blinker plastic covers...if anyone might have one in the parts bin please let me know and i will gladly meet your terms...thank you!

And here is reason No. 1 to go over a new bike with the glasses on...apparently the original bolt on the footpeg mount disappeared, so the previous knucklehead owner jammed an undersized carriage bolt in the hole...some people should not be allowed to own motorcycles!

Thanks for the encouragement! I am amazed that even the somewhat neglected chinabike still seems rather healthy.

Old 11-03-2011, 10:04 PM   #2

Those have to be one of the coolest chinabikes ever made! The Zongs and the Q's are my faves. Looks like you got yourself a keeper there, and you can refresh the faded orange plastics with a healthy helping of Krylon Fusion, she'll look like new!

Old 11-03-2011, 11:04 PM   #3

Re: RESISTANCE IS FUTILE..."New" Zong in the house

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilserchinarider
Picked up a neglected but fairly well running intact Zong yesterday afternoon...
Welcome to The Cult of The Zong, WCR! Indeed, resistance is futile.

You have been assimilated.
Quote:
...the bike also came with a fresh set of black plastics, although I do prefer the orange!...
It's especially nice to have a spare set of plastic, WCR. You can paint the plastic any color you like. Krylon Fusion does an excellent job covering the Zongshen ABS plastic. If you paint both sets of plastic your favorite colors, you can mount the spare set of plastic when you wish to refresh the paint on the other set.
Quote:
...This one is for you Doc the parasitic balance shaft lets the engine rev to the top w/ caddy smoothness! I like!...
Actually, that area of the engine houses the gears that transfer power from the starter motor to the flywheel. However, as with the Yamaha TW200, your Zongshen engine does have a counterbalancer connected directly to the crankshaft.

http://www.cyclepartswarehouse.com/f...009&fveh=28571
Quote:
...Slight flaw here...I'm missing one of the blinker plastic covers...if anyone might have one in the parts bin please let me know and i will gladly meet your terms...thank you!...
I'm sorry to report the stock turn signals on the Zong are one of the bike's weak points. :roll: If you replace that lens, it will break again in the near future. I recommend you install two pairs of Western Power Sports Oval Turn Signals. I have these turn signals installed on my Zong, and I like them very much!

These turn signals are attractive, rugged, and very inexpensive.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...T.ac=SLIsearch

Quote:
...Thanks for the encouragement! I am amazed that even the somewhat neglected chinabike still seems rather healthy.
We are always pleased to help, and encourage a fellow Zongite, WCR! Change the engine oil frequently, and adjust the valve lash periodically, and your Zong will provide you with many happy, carefree miles of riding. I am rapidly approaching 42,000 miles on my Zong's odometer, and my bike is still running strong.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 11-04-2011, 12:23 AM   #4

Good score! I'm looking forward to the progress and ride reports.

I picked up some cheap LED signals on eBay, just like this set: 2 Motorcycle 14 LED Turn Signal Indicator Light Bulbs Can't beat the price at $7.00 per pair, including shipping. I haven't installed them yet, but they look good.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-04-2011, 12:32 AM   #5

Congratulations!

I think your 'parasitic balance shaft' is your starter motor drive. :wink:

Looks like a greta purchase!

Old 11-04-2011, 07:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
I think your 'parasitic balance shaft' is your starter motor drive. :wink:
A humbling blonde moment... :oops: Even the crow is quite tasty around here

Old 11-04-2011, 08:11 AM   #7

Nice.

Is this the bike I saw posted near Ambler, PA? Where are you located?

Old 11-04-2011, 11:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmmcd

Is this the bike I saw posted near Ambler, PA? Where are you located?
Yes, this is the bike from Ambler, PA. I am in Monmouth County NJ, by the beach.

Ok, first order of business was to replace the bent handlebars. If you have ever driven a bike with bent bars, it is quite unsettling, like steering with a tiller.

Mounted lifanoid bars on the Zong...

And here is the trusty donor getting rather slim...I may have to start looking for another parts pike...or perhaps they just find me

Old 11-05-2011, 02:35 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Good score! I'm looking forward to the progress and ride reports.

I picked up some cheap LED signals on eBay, just like this set: 2 Motorcycle 14 LED Turn Signal Indicator Light Bulbs Can't beat the price at $7.00 per pair, including shipping. I haven't installed them yet, but they look good.
Please do let us know how those LED turn signals work out for you, Weld. I bought a similar pair of LED turn signals from Hoosier Garage, but I was disappointed with them, and removed them. :( I hope your LED turn signals contain more LEDs, and are brighter than the ones I bought.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 11-05-2011, 09:07 AM   #10

I still have parts. :wink:

Nice to have them ready and waiting. A Zong has been rescued.

Old 11-05-2011, 11:42 AM   #11

wilserchinarider, do you plan to keep the stock fuel tank and paint the shrouds, or swap the tank for larger capacity, like Spud did? Clarke now makes a tank that is intended for a TW200, and I bet it would be easy to install.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-05-2011, 12:40 PM   #12

I am in Monmouth County NJ.

I'm from Jersey! Born and raised in Newark/Elizabeth. When I went to college at Rutgers my mom moved to Brick (great name for a town. WTH were they thinking? :roll: ).

I miss the Jersey Shore (a bit).

Old 11-05-2011, 01:42 PM   #13

Wonder what a Zong would look like in olive drab? Not as flashy as the orange, but I bet it would look good

Old 11-05-2011, 03:33 PM   #14

Quote:
wilserchinarider, do you plan to keep the stock fuel tank and paint the shrouds, or swap the tank for larger capacity, like Spud did? Clarke now makes a tank that is intended for a TW200, and I bet it would be easy to install.
Based upon my experiments with Yamaha fuel tanks, I don't think the TW200 fuel tank would work well for the Zong. :( However, I am very happy with the appearance, and the large fuel capacity of my Clarke, XT225 fuel tank.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 11-05-2011, 04:39 PM   #15

Quote:
wilserchinarider, do you plan to keep the stock fuel tank and paint the shrouds, or swap the tank for larger capacity, like Spud did?
The Zong rides nice but is still being sorted, I like the engine! I might need a battery??? Even after a few charges, the electric start doesn't always crank strong...maybe i should check the grounds as well??? Not really sure of my long term plans...unlikely I'll go for a Clark tank, this is Jersey, we have stations on every corner...haha...not really true at all...the pinelands national preserve where my boy and I offroad is a million acres, very easy to get lost, many old logging roads and fire cuts, and the landscape is flat, sandy and piney, very easy to get turned around. My buddy w/ a new TW200 does carry a spare gallon, but his bike is jetted and he goes about 300 lbs, so his mileage is on par w/ small SUV.

I have a full set of black plastics, so I don't think I will do any painting...i kind of like the stock tank w/ logo?