Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2011, 01:52 PM   #1

Daymak 250cc no power

Hi all,

I've just gotten into the ATV game. I recently purchased a Gio Rebel T3 and T2 and love them. My purchases inspired my brother to go searching for his own china atv and came across a Daymak 250cc. It is heavily used but he got it for a really cheap price with the "promise" that it runs, but just has a dead battery.

I have some wrenching knowledge as a car guy, but not much for bikes/atvs.

My main questions are, we tried putting the battery from my 200cc Rebel in his Daymak and it wouldn't even power on, when I tried to jump the start it would just spin. Which on a car either means the starter is jammed or isn't getting enough amps to pop the solenoid, right? Is it possible that the gio battery just isn't strong enough to power the starter for this MUCH larger atv?

Secondly, this thing is in shambles. It looks to be water cooled, which was a complication I was telling him to avoid. There are two hose connectors comming off the right(facing forward) front of the engine case, one points towards the front of the bike, one points to the sky. They look like they could have been connections for coolant tubes, but there are no tubes to be found and no extra places to hook up to that I can see. Anyone know anything about these? (Please tell me they're just vacuum or something)

Thanks in advance!

Old 12-06-2011, 07:20 PM   #2

Welcome! Anybody who is skilled at working on a 2M4 will find China atv's to be cake!

If I understand you correctly, you tried to apply power directly to the starter, which bypassed the solenoid. If that's the case and the starter spun, it could point to a bad solenoid, but it's not likely. The large gauge positive wire from the battery goes directly to the solenoid, then from the solenoid to the starter. The solenoid also has two small gauge wires that recceive power via the start button. If you apply power to those wires and the starter spins, it's not the solenoid that's the problem.

Power is routed through both brake switches in parallel, meaning that either brake may be activated (but at least one must be) in order for the solenoid to engage the starter. Try stepping on the rear brake or squeezing the front brake lever as you hit the starter button. Still nothing? Then look at the kill switch; is it on the left handlebar, resembling a street bike signal light switch? If so, push it in once (notice it makes a slight click), then apply a brake and hit the starter again.

We'd need pics before we can guide you about the water cooled connections. I'm with you; stay away from water cooled China atv's.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 12-07-2011, 09:42 AM   #3

Thanks Weldangrind!

1) I actually didn't apply power directly to the solenoid on the starter. There seems to be a junction block(or relay/fuse, its a round silver thing with two posts and a crimped connector) coming off the battery which I assume is the connector for the gauge pod and switches. I jumped the connection there, shorting the hot wire to the ground and hearing the starter whirring in place. Both times that I've tried this(once with the gio battery and once with the 1/2 dead battery out of my Fiero) the starter would just spin. I'm charging the Fiero battery tonight to see if that makes any difference. I tried starting it with the front brake in only, but I'll try the back brake as well.

2) The coolant connection after looking at it more closely seems to have been plugged. The hole coming out of the radiator has been plug with a very large bolt and some silicon. The rest of the water cooling seems to be hooked up, so I don't know why this was disconnected. The only thing that I can think of is that this was the water pump and it died so they just disconnected it and now its air cooled? 8O . I'll try to get some pictures up tonight.

My main concern is that it actually turns over. I have a fear with the condition that this thing is in that my brother may have been duped. Anyone know of any way to check if it turns over manually? if it was manual I would just pop the clutch while its in gear, but its an auto :(.

Old 12-07-2011, 10:14 AM   #4

That begins to put a finer point on things.

1) You're thinking GM; you gotta think Ford. The round silver thing with two posts sounds like you're describing the solenoid. There isn't likely to be a solenoid on the starter. To confirm, find the small gauge wires on the solenoid and apply power to them and see if it clicks. Power travels from the positive battery cable to the solenoid, then from the solenoid to the starter. If the starter just spins without turning the engine, then perhaps the bendix in the starter is bad. Replacements are cheap.

2) The rad might have been blocked off, but pics will tell a lot.

It almost sounds like you're describing a CVT engine, like the type found in scooters. We have a 150 quad with a CVT, and my wife and daughter love it. If your brother indeed has a 250 CVT, then in all likelihood it will be liquid cooled. Again, pics will help a lot.

Which Province are you in?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 12-07-2011, 10:41 AM   #5

This is the only 250 Daymak I found, and it is a manual five speed, according to the Daymak site. That means nothing; they could have had other models in the past. Does this look like your brother's?

Old 12-07-2011, 02:39 PM   #6

Were in Ontario.

I spent some time tonight tracking down why my starter wouldn't engage when I pressed the button. I've got the electrical solved, somewhere I have a short that kept blowing the main fuse.

BUT, the starter still spins freely. I pulled the starter out and bench tested it, the bendix only spins, it doesn't move outward. From what I've found, some atvs have a starter clutch gear that spins all the time against the flywheel and engages when the starter spins up. If the starter clutch is gone, we may be out of luck, cuz I don't have a clue where im going to get a starter clutch for this thing. Anyone have any ideas?

--

My brothers is a 2007 I think.

This post by Stever is the same ATV.

http://www.chinariders.net/modules.p...ewtopic&t=2503

Now my brothers is listed as a Daymak, but they look exactly the same and I read somewhere else that Daymak was marketed as linhai in the US or something.

ALSO lol, I found the daymak listing for it from 2007:

http://web.archive.org/web/200712071...v/sas260.html#

Old 12-08-2011, 01:45 AM   #7

I might have some ideas, but I'm still not sure which engine is in it. Can you show us a pic from the side? The links you attached don't show a side view.

Old 12-08-2011, 06:53 PM   #8

Alright, here are the pictures I promised:

Right Side

Right Side Engine

Left Side Engine

Starter pulled out and laying on footrail

Hope that helps you, help me

Old 12-08-2011, 07:24 PM   #9

Definately liquid cooled. Looks like a cvt drive. The lever would be the forward and reverse.

Looks like a grizzly.

Old 12-09-2011, 01:30 AM   #10

I'm struggling to recognize that motor. I thought it might be patterned after a 250 GY6, but I'm not sure. Take a look at these pics and see if it looks the same to you: http://scooterparts4less.com/GY6_250cc_Motor_Parts.htm

Old 12-09-2011, 09:06 AM   #11

A closer look and it appears to be a honda helix style engine. Looks alot like the one in my elite.

http://www.scooterdynasty.com/produc...gine_cf250.jpg

Old 12-09-2011, 09:10 AM   #12

Looks like a winner. Scrappy dog has parts for this engine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CFMOTO-CF-MO...item2a16b1e3d8

Old 12-09-2011, 09:10 AM   #13

That's gotta be it. The exhaust port is in the same spot and everything. The CVT cover looks the same too, except that one is grey and ours is black.

I tried to turn the starter gear inside the engine with a screwdriver. I assume it is a one way clutch. It turns freely one way and with a bit of resistance turns the other way. I'm assuming the starter clutch is burnt out. I'm going to pull the side cover off tonight or tomorrow and see what I find. From there I should be able to tell if the engine turns over and has any compression.

If it is the starter clutch, am I safe to try a starter clutch from a Honda 250 GY6?

I've also figured out the coolant routing/blocking thing. It looks like the previous owner wired in an electric water pump. I'm going to look for a better way to mount it, but for now it will do.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:31 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyfiero2m4
If it is the starter clutch, am I safe to try a starter clutch from a Honda 250 GY6?
Honda never used a GY6 designation; it's a Chinese reference. It would be my guess that a starter from a 250 GY6 is correct. I wouldn't be surprised if a starter from a 150 GY6 would also work, but IDK.

http://www.sagacanada.ca/ is an excellent source for parts. I've been in their shop many times, and they have an impressive inventory. They don't have any real technicians on staff, so it helps to know what you want. In your case, ask for a starter for a 250 scooter. Perhaps they can email you a pic. Tell 'em you're from China Riders.

Old 12-09-2011, 11:01 AM   #15

My mistake, thought I saw that on one of the linked pages.

Alright, I'm going to tear open the side cover tonight and see what I find.

Thanks for all the help guys, I'll try to post the resolution to this.