Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2012, 08:17 AM   #1

Wear your gear please

Low speed getoff on the Konker last night... Wet pavement and too fast of a corner. Bike was down before I even felt it slide, wicked fast! Due to the fact that I had just put the S/M tires back on and was just taking it around the block to see how they felt I had no gear :(. Road rash and a banged up knee... Always always wear your gear, even if your just going down the alley because you never really know when it's gonna dump you. I was reminded in spades that pavement is not very forgiving of mistakes... Ouch!

Old 08-05-2012, 08:39 AM   #2

Very much seconding that!

This is my helmet after taking a spill last weekend. It's a little hard to tell but where that white spot is it's ground down past the first layer of fiberglass. If I hadn't been wearing it my face would have looked completely different than it does now.

(image tags broke?)

Old 08-05-2012, 10:04 AM   #3

damn, sorry to hear about the fall. hope you heal up soon!

Old 08-05-2012, 12:31 PM   #4

I hope you a speedy recovery. We have many people here in Michigan that have not been wearing helmets because of a resent change in the law. It blows my mind how these people make a choice not to wear the gear. Maybe they just haven't caught enough june bugs to the face!

Old 08-05-2012, 12:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by obso
Very much seconding that!

This is my helmet after taking a spill last weekend. It's a little hard to tell but where that white spot is it's ground down past the first layer of fiberglass. If I hadn't been wearing it my face would have looked completely different than it does now.

(image tags broke?)
I checked out the pic; yikes! I wondered if the image tags are looking for a www reference, so I just removed the tags.

http://i.imgur.com/k9vNKl.jpg?1

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-05-2012, 03:18 PM   #6

No helmet law in KS either. I think only 10% of the riders I see are wearing one. Half have flipflips on.

Old 08-05-2012, 03:23 PM   #7

Yeah that's for dam sure.... sometimes I get a little complacent when I just want to test that everything is working, but end up on a longer ride. I consider myself lucky, but also foolish, that everything has worked out when I have gone lightly on gear.

I admit though I just took a ride around with no shirt on, but I did have helmet of course. For some reason I got more waves from the neighbors going topless. Is that normal?

Old 08-05-2012, 03:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cron
For some reason I got more waves from the neighbors going topless. Is that normal?
I get that too. But I assumed it was them shielding their eyes from the glare

Old 08-06-2012, 12:12 AM   #9

Sorry to hear about the fall.

Remember the CR tradition of posting photos... :wink:

I hope you heal fast and the bike is OK also.

You make the right point. As Spud and those who know me will say I'm a (pretty much) ATGATT kinda guy, especially since I was hit about 2 1/2 years ago. My gear did good by me there, but the fractures could not have been avoided no matter what I had worn.

BTW nothing is more slippery that a fresh rain on a road that has been dry for a long time. It brings all the oil up and it takes some time to wash it off.

Old 08-07-2012, 03:30 PM   #10

Here are a few pics. I have pretty heavy roadrash on my right forearm as well but for some reason the pic didn't turn out. The knee one was when taken the same day and all the other pics were taken a day or two later and don't look nearly as bad as when they were fresh.
Knee with dressing

Dressing removed to redress

Bruise on the back of my leg, I think from the peg but I'm not sure?

Shoulder, this one along with the knee hurt like a dickens!

Right hand. Scabbed up already so not looking as bad as when it was fresh

Right hand and wrist. Nasty one just before the wrist bone. Looked a lot like my shoulder when it was fresh.

There's more too, but those are the worst ones. And all that from a pretty low speed get off. With my jacket and gloves on I wouldn't have had anything on my upper body, and with something a little more substantial than nylon track pants I think the knee wouldn't be nearly as ugly either. I've been keeping them all clean and redressing regularly so hopefully I'm doing the right thing there. Going to see my doctor this afternoon about the shoulder and knee. Bike has a few bent bits but nothing major. Bent the bars and the front brake lever and gouged up the mirror and fender. The back of the bike is fine... Probably because it was sliding on my leg! 8O

Old 08-07-2012, 03:35 PM   #11

Oh yeah! The kitty mousepad was a birthday gift to me from my son that he picked out when he was 6 years old, cool huh? 8)

Old 08-07-2012, 04:05 PM   #12

Yikes. 8O

I literally know how you feel. Quite unpleasant and even upsetting.

Extra credit for the kitty mouse pad. :P

Painful as they are, those wounds will heal fine. Maybe a little scarring but other than that 100%.

Funny how we can get such road rash even with our gear on. :?

When I was run over last year I was wearing full gear except for the sweatpants I was wearing in the garage to fix my Zong. My knees both paid for that mistake similar to yours.

I had 6 broken and dislocated fingers too. I don't think my gloves could have done anything to prevent that though.

Get well soon, friend.

Before the snow flies up by you...

Old 08-08-2012, 01:35 AM   #13

I'm sorry to hear of your accident, Stew. :( However, I'm glad your injuries were not more severe. Thank you for reminding us to practice ATGAT (all the gear, all the time).

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 08-08-2012, 03:07 AM   #14

looking at that knee makes me really happy i chose to add the slider 4.0 jeans as well as the shock pads to my gear now i will be sufficiently geared.

Hope you heal up quick and get back out there soon.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:34 AM   #15

I just remembered something...

Just a little post crash analyses... In all my years of riding ( 38 ) I have never had a bike go out from under me that fast, I had absolutely no time to react at all. Had I been wearing my gear I probably would have escaped with a bruise or so. I was thinking about how fast it slid out though, and I vaguely remember one of the forum members (I think it was dmmcd?) saying that he had abysmal wet traction with his S/M tires on his Q Link. I see now what he meant!

Must be the compound in the tires or something, but I would advise anyone with a Konker or Q Link Supermoto to take it very very easy on wet pavement. I think I'll be putting my D/S tires back on when I heal up enough to kneel down again...