Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2007, 12:39 PM   #1

regarding parts falling off

I've read a lot of threads on here about stuff falling off, fenders breaking and so forth. I was just wondering did this stuff happen while on the dirt or on the street? I'm interested in picking up a bike to commute with so my miles will be on the street. I may go off road occassionally to find a good fishing spot, but 95% of the time will be on road. Does anyone ride their bike specifically on the road? Is stuff breaking just the nature of the beast? Just was wondering what ya'll thought.

Old 06-22-2007, 12:49 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to jkomp316
I spend lots of time on the road. I haven't had anything fall off yet. The vibrations that loosen things up are usually caused by the engine. Its a single cylinder, hard mounted engine. Harley guys have similar issues. As long as you loctite everything in the first couple hundred miles, you should be find for a couple thousand afterward. How fast do you plan on riding it? If you do mainly city driving like i do, 40mph tops, you'll be fine. When your screaming along at 7krpm is when things get a good shake down.

Jake
06 Lifan GY-5

Old 06-22-2007, 01:03 PM   #3

speed

I'm not going to go flat out. Probably would like to go between 45 - 55 mph. I think that anything over that and you sacrifice gas milage. I'd like to get the maximum fuel milage. It's only a 19 mile drive one way and it's all 2 lane country roads. So speed isn't important at all. I'll just need to make sure to leave in plenty of time to get there on time. I kind of like the idea of getting to work 2 days on a gallon of gas.

Old 06-22-2007, 01:47 PM   #4

Yes some parts will fall off thats why I tied a little string to each and every single part.
No more lost parts, just make sure to knot the strings very well.

No really these bikes just need to be gone over and locked tighted and like every motorcycle they need to be looked over for loose fasteners regulary.

Old 06-22-2007, 09:51 PM   #5

5 gal. pail of Boltgripper and a mop. 8O

If you like working on your bike you should be fine. Like stereos and washing machines I'm sure there are some that come off the line better than others. I've lost bolts but I'm happily suprised at how solid my little engine is. I got mine a month and a half ago to pick up milk at the store about a kilometre away. I've since put 1500km on my bike. One thing for sure is that no matter what you bought your bike for, you are going to find all sorts of reasons to ride.

Old 06-22-2007, 10:16 PM   #6

I have had things loosen and lost a few bolts, but I regulary ride above 7k. Nothing has broken off, but 99% is street use.

Allen

Old 06-23-2007, 01:26 PM   #7

I bought my bike about a year ago ridgerunner. I have laid it down twice. Broke the knob off the clutch and a mirror. Everything else made it just fine. I was able to bend any metal back in place. I am surprised how well these are built considering what you pay for them. I bought the bike to ride but found thats its funner to take apart and monkey with to see what you can get it to do performance wise. I have no mechanical skillz at all and have been able to take it down to the frame and rebuild it. With no real manual this forum has been my primary help with the technical issues. I suggest you bookmark it and check it frequently.

BTW mine hasn't seen pavement yet, and I take it to 8k RPM all the time. Im sure some bolts have fallen off but it runs fine without them....Ignorance is bliss!!!!

Good Luck

Old 06-23-2007, 01:41 PM   #8

So far no problems with mine, Nothing has been left behind or come loose. The main thing I don't want to fall off of the bike is ME

Old 06-23-2007, 01:48 PM   #9

the only things that have broken or fallen off are due to my abuse of the bike.
my buddies bike has had screws come loose. We've had to re-bolt his Muffler on enough times that now we carry xtra bolts.
One thing I have noted different between the bikes is that his vibrates ALOT more than mine.

Old 06-23-2007, 06:51 PM   #10

Our bikes used to hum, buzz from vibration but after the engine rebolt, nothing.

We just got back from a trip up north to ride for a few hours, I rode her lf200 and she rode her new raptor.(she cant ride 2 wheels in the sand)

The place was all whooped out with deep sand, she had no trouble keeping up to me on her raptor but I pounded her bike hard today over the whoops(i'm 260lbs.).There was one section of trail that we got up to 50mph on and the rest was constant sand whoops.

I plan to wash it and give it a good looking over sunday to see if it is folding in half or anything (I think it will be fine)
I did fall once after having rested I started out and my legs were sore and stiff I just couldnt react fast enough to catch it (plus I'm getting old) but nothing happened to it since it was all sand.
I was able to climb some sandy hills which amazed me that it even made it up not just once but several times.

Old 06-23-2007, 07:10 PM   #11

I am starting to be impressed with my bike. I have owned it just over a month now and I think I got everything tight and the minor problems takin care of. I am sure stuff with break, but overall it feels like a solid bike and the vibes are much better than before. I plan to do a rebolt of the engine to the frame later. This coming week may see the carb adjusted and the needle dropped one notch.

Bike has not had anything break off, just come loose. I have corrected these with loctite of double nutting the bolts.

Allen

Old 06-24-2007, 10:57 PM   #12

I've had my gy5 since november (06) and put on about 1500KM's, one bolt fell out of the rear foot peg, and I broke one of my rear motor mount bolts, that was probably a combination of abusing the bike and crappy motor mount bolts. Other then that the muffler has developed a rattle. That's really all, and I haven't been too easy on the bike. My only concern is if the axle bolts may be as crappy as the motor mount bolts?

Old 06-24-2007, 11:14 PM   #13

i have lost 3 bolts and the plastic doohickie used to work the winkers other than that nothing has fallin off. exept the kick starter witch was one of the bolts i lost. it came off when i kicked it so i didn't lose it. all bolts have since been replaced and loctighted.

Old 06-25-2007, 08:00 PM   #14

My kickstart was loose, I just tightened the bolt.

I think after a few months anything that was coming loose will be found.

Allen