Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2013, 12:08 PM   #1

TMEC GY200 with custom 40 tooth rear sprocket

Finally, after a week, my friend, with a little help from me, installed the 40 tooth sprocket and chain (it didn't take a week, it was coordinating around our work schedules). Initially, the best thing that could happen to a TMEC 200 based on a quick blast to the gas station and back. However, will have to wait on a report since it has been raining the last day and a half. Monday will be my regular commute, so that will be the true test.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 01-27-2013, 04:23 AM   #2

Congratulations. Please let us know how well the custom sprocket performs!

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 01-27-2013, 02:22 PM   #3

Ok, minor/major snag. 3 of the bolts had broken off the sprocket on install. The 3 remaining bolts started loosening up on my test ride. However, it completely changed the character of the bike while it worked...for the better. Tightened up the 2 working bolts, andgot it home. Bought replacement bolts, hex head type. Put permanent thread lock on the 3 and tightened themdown, hopefully permanently. A friend and I tried to extract the broken ones to no avail. Either find someone or someplace to extract the 3, or buy a new wheel :x

However, like I wrote above, before the issue, it worked extremely well. The speedometer is broken, but it had no problem keeping up with 50 to 55 mph traffic. It did remind me of my '93 Mustang GT in that 5th gear is overdrive (my car came stock with 2.73).

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 01-27-2013, 02:29 PM   #4

I'm sorry to hear of the broken bolts, but I'm glad you could ride home to repair them. I wish you good luck getting the broken bolts extracted. I fear you will have difficulty finding a replacement wheel. :(

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 01-27-2013, 02:32 PM   #5

Excalibur has a couple parts bikes, so if they haven't sold wheels, they should have one.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 01-28-2013, 09:59 AM   #6

Search the local tool shops for left-hand drill bits (no, I'm not kidding). Lay the wheel on a flat surface, start a center punch mark in the center of the broken bolt, and slowly begin to drill it out with the drill in reverse, with a bit that is smaller than the bolt diameter. Take care to not break the bit. Have some type of lubricant handy to apply to the bit every few seconds; I use Rapid Tap, but even WD-40 will meet your needs.

The bolts might just begin to back out during the drilling process. If not, use a quality extractor (Easy-out is one brand) and remove the bolts that did not back out upon drilling. Please take pics.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 01-29-2013, 12:59 AM   #7

Thanks for the tip, Weld, but I don't have the patience, skill, or equipment (my drill is not working, I just pulled it out and it was no go I ended up ordering a new wheel after going for a run yesterday and having the hub break off the wheel and the chain breaking and wrapping around the hub :? 8O

I am at the point of reusing the stock sprocket and chain on the new wheel and just sellingthe bike. :x

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 01-29-2013, 02:05 PM   #8

I'm glad you got home safe.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I know you were in the market for a CB for a long time I'm sorry that it turned out this way.

Old 01-29-2013, 03:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
I'm glad you got home safe.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I know you were in the market for a CB for a long time I'm sorry that it turned out this way.
X2 on all points, Culcune.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 01-29-2013, 04:33 PM   #10

It wasn't the bike's fault, other than the crap stock sprocket :evil:

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 03-01-2013, 10:13 PM   #11

Ok, after (relatively) enjoying the 40 tooth rear sprocket, I think I need a new front. The stock one is 17 tooth, so I think a 15 tooth would make 5th gear usable. The TMEC 200 uses the Zongshen 167 FML engine. I am sure we discussed sprockets 6 or 7 years ago, but I don't have the time or patience to search for the thread if someone knows what aftermarket sprockets fit the Zongshen/Lifan engines. I might even remember that they all interchange?

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 03-02-2013, 03:31 AM   #12

could you drill through the hub and then choose new bolts? if your drill was working?

gentlemen, is that a possibility? i had a garelli moped where i did that, to go from a 43 to a 22. it depends on the hub, of course.

Old 03-02-2013, 12:26 PM   #13

Pretty sure this is it, but you'll have to measure your CS sprocket and confirm: http://www.jtsprockets.com/catalogue/model/5065 I'd drop only one tooth and then evaluate; CS sprockets are cheap.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-02-2013, 02:19 PM   #14

Thanks for the link, Weld. It looks to be the same size (dimension-wise) as some I found on a site called www.buyatvsonline.com when I went to the Chinese bike part sections. I bet the JT would be worth a look. I agree that 16 teeth might be a good start since they are relatively low cost and easy to install. If it still seems like too much overdrive in 5th, then a 15t would probably do the trick.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 03-03-2013, 11:55 AM   #15

JT makes a decent CS sprocket, and I don't think I've ever paid more than $15 for one.