Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2013, 12:11 PM   #1

New to me - 1989 Honda TRX350 4x4

Hi everyone, I was going to go out and buy a 2007 Loncin 200cc atv last Friday when I noticed an ad on Craigslist for a 1989 Honda TRX350 4x4. Went and looked at it on my lunch break and the rest is history. The guy was asking $650.00 for it but I got it for $400.00. It did require some reassembly and still needs a few parts but for our current purposes (riding around the beach with our son on his Loncin 110cc) it will be fine.

Here are some pics that the PO sent me before I went and looked at it.

I was a little hesitant but after seeing it in person and the fact that it fired right up I was sold.

Here is what it currently looks like after a degreasing/pressure washing and putting some of the plastics back on. I had to take a dremel to the front/rear fenders to get rid of all the broken bits, it looks mean but won't do much to keep the rocks/mud off me. The plastics for this machine are obsolete so I will have to come up with a DIY solution.

Old 04-09-2013, 01:46 PM   #2

That's a steal for a Honda in running condition, especially in your area.

I wonder what motivates some people to neglect their posessions so much though? :?

You may want to search eBay to find some fenders though. A 4X4 quad with make an aweful mess of its rider without fenders, especially where it can be wet or muddy.

Old 04-09-2013, 01:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
That's a steal for a Honda in running condition, especially in your area.

I wonder what motivates some people to neglect their posessions so much though? :?

You may want to search eBay to find some fenders though. A 4X4 quad with make an aweful mess of its rider without fenders, especially where it can be wet or muddy.
I think it was a good deal, it helped that the guy is moving in a couple of weeks and his parents want him to get rid of as much of his "crap" as possible before he leaves.

I have checked ebay without any luck, I have also emailed a bunch of ATV wreckers in Canada without any luck. According to the Honda forum I just joined these plastics are like gold only harder to find

I think for the time being I might have to go and buy a Rubbermaid garbage can from Home Depot and fab something up.

This thing was definately neglected but it starts and drives really well, I checked the oil last night and it is pristine. The only mechanical issue I have at the moment is one of the PO's gutted the front brakes, as in the only thing left are the drums :? , and low and behold the brake/wheel cylinders are obsolete (I need 4 of them). I did find a guy that is parting out an 87 model (without plastics) and am currently trying to work out a deal with him on the master cylinder, all the wheel/brake cylinders, shoes, hardware and drums.

Even without the front brakes I hope to test it out this weekend down at the river, nothing crazy, I just want to get it outside and try it out . I just have to check out the rear brakes, they work but I want to make sure they are properly adjusted etc.

Old 04-09-2013, 02:41 PM   #4

I think for the time being I might have to go and buy a Rubbermaid garbage can from Home Depot and fab something up.

Excellent Chinariders solution. 8)

Katoranger would find the parts he needs driving to Home Depot on the roadside!

You can get by without the front brakes for a while. ATV's don't go too fast and they have high rolling resistance and slow down quick, especially in the sand.

Old 04-09-2013, 03:05 PM   #5

I just want to get the front brakes fixed so the bike is complete, also if I decide to do any sort of challenging/trail riding I would like to have all the braking I can. Until then I think the rears will work just fine.

Old 04-09-2013, 03:13 PM   #6
Administrator

Very cool, congrats! Those old Hondas run forever. I actually love the look without the front fenders. lol I do that to all my sport quads, but yea it's a different story with a 4x4.. you'll need them.

Enjoy! 8)

Old 04-09-2013, 03:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadz
Very cool, congrats! Those old Hondas run forever. I actually love the look without the front fenders. lol I do that to all my sport quads, but yea it's a different story with a 4x4.. you'll need them.

Enjoy! 8)
Thanks, I love the way it looks as well but I think I will hate it the first time I hit a mud hole

Old 04-09-2013, 04:33 PM   #8

I was thinking that you could use some semi truck mud flaps. One per side on the front should work.

And to fit it in I did pick one up off the road last fall. It says NAPA on it. :wink:

Old 04-09-2013, 09:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger
I was thinking that you could use some semi truck mud flaps. One per side on the front should work.

And to fit it in I did pick one up off the road last fall. It says NAPA on it. :wink:
Mudflaps are an excellent idea! You could even use some light steel flatbar to make them hold a shape if needed. Pretty much bulletproof as well

Old 04-10-2013, 01:22 AM   #10

Iposted this in your other thread, but it applies here: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...T.ac=SLIsearch

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-10-2013, 11:20 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Iposted this in your other thread, but it applies here: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...T.ac=SLIsearch
That looks like a great solution and only $10! :P

Old 04-10-2013, 03:56 PM   #12

Thank you for the link Weldandgrind but from the looks of it these would only help up top on the fenders. I think I am going to try the rubbermaid garbage can or mud flap idea with flatbar for strength. This way I can start at the top/front of the fender and mold it all the way around to down by the foot peg. And if that doesn't work then I am only out the 10.98 for the garbage can

I got a little bit more work done last night, I brought a small LED light bar home from work to see how it would look on the bike. I mounted it in one of the existing holes on the rack and think it looks pretty good. I have to bring a second one in from our Edmonton store, should see it in a few days, and mount it on the other side. Once these are wired up I will see if they give out enough light, if they don't I will add either a 4" or 6" LED lightbar where the factory headlight mounted to the handlebars.

I also got the front "grill" installed with the accessory/fog lights and I installed some LED light bulbs in these as well.

Now I just have to get my buddy, who is a lot better with electrical than me, to come over and help me get the lighting wiring figured out because one of the PO's made a bit of mess of it.

I also checked out my rear brake last night and found out it is almost new, all I had to do was re-adjust the cables. Now I am ready to take it out for a test ride this weekend if the weather cooperates.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:40 PM   #13

Very cool. My sister, of illegally imported Chinabike fame, has a Honda similar to yours and a big Yamaha for running around her 120 acres. I'd like to find one myself but I have nowhere locally to use one.

Keep us updated.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 04-10-2013, 04:54 PM   #14

I hope to take it out on Saturday down to the river. If I do I will try and get some pics/video.

Old 04-14-2013, 02:45 PM   #15

So due to questionable weather and the fact that myself and my two boys are sick we didn't get out riding this weekend.

I did however get my lights hooked up, these 2 are "spot" lights, I think when we get our order in at work I will add 1 "flood" model to the factory spot on the handlebars.

Since my factory handlebar switch for the lights was messed up I used a missile switch I had kicking around in the toolbox, works great.