Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2013, 03:19 PM   #1

My 09 Lifan LF200 GY-5 restore thread

Hello CR, this will be my restore thread for my 09 gy5. It was my brothers originally and we used it for trail riding and for his class m road test. We lost the plate in the trails somewhere and parked the bike. He moved and it sat for a while. Well my motorcycle itch has sprung and I figured if it's there I might as well get it back into shape. It's going to need a little work but hopefully I can return it to its road legal glory within a month or so.

That was yesterday exactly how it sat for 2 years. Quite an eyesore if you ask me. The amazing paint job was really a bad idea in hindsight.

Last night I removed the gauges and deoxydized them with some toothpaste and a rag. It came out pretty good in my opinion.

I removed the brake light assembly to see how it mounts up so I can look into integrated tail lights.

I also saw my brake master cylinder had corroded away from the fluid sitting for so long.

The throttle assembly broke on the last ride we took it on so I'm looking into a universal control with some new grips. I think the aftermarket Honda XR grips should fit. I need a new cable too, and the only ones I saw on eBay are for the pit bikes. Anyone know if these are interchangable?

I'd like to put a new air filter kit on it because I'm missing half the casing for mine. My filter is falling apart too.

Pretty much my list of parts that I need so far goes as following..
New headlight with integrated blinkers. I like the sleek look..possibly these guys?
New brake master cylinder. Hopefully Wild_Alaskan has that
New integrated tail light. I'm thinking these
Side body plastics, unless I have mine put away somewhere?
I'd like to change my gear ratio for highway use because I want to take a 600+ mile trip up to Maine this summer. I'm kind of clueless on gear ratios. I was reading the FAQ earlier.
I need a new front mud guard. Are aftermarket XR200 guards comparable?
I need new mirrors.
I'd like to find a new seat too.
I also need a new battery but Wal-Mart should solve that.

Welp that pretty much sums it up. I'm guessing I'll dump around $300 into this thing give or take. Ive been looking at Hooper Imports but it seems like 80% of their stuff is sold out. If anyone knows any other sites I would be very grateful. All knowledge shared is appreciated.

And just for fun, here's my other toy.

That should explain my username.

Old 06-08-2013, 05:01 PM   #2

I would take the seat to an upholstery shop and have them re cover it for you

Old 06-08-2013, 06:13 PM   #3

Wild, I think I'm going to look into that. Maybe have some new foam installed too.

Old 06-08-2013, 09:07 PM   #4

I like the Golf. GTI?

It's not very cheap but the Edge II taillight, with or without the 12 O'Clock Labs integrated digital blinkers is excellent and highly recommended. I have one on my KLX, My Zong had one, as does Spud's Zong.

Old 06-08-2013, 09:54 PM   #5

Doc, I'll look into that. And as for my vw, it's an 02 gti 1.8t awp. It's a fun little car with all the bells and whistles except the digital ac. My old jetta had that. I was an Audi/vw tech before the school bus gig. Thanks for the love

As for an update, Wild_Alaskan has a few parts for me. Should be here within a week or two

Old 06-09-2013, 12:31 AM   #6

The UFO Oregon head light gets pretty good reviews. I agree with Wild Alaskan regarding your saddle.

I don't see where the Mad Hornets Tail Light has integrated turn signals. As with FastDoc, I really like my DRC Edge 2 Tail Light. Unless you prefer, you don't need to integrate the turn signals with the tail light. You can always attach small, LED turn signals, or you can install flush mount, turn signals.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 06-09-2013, 12:42 AM   #7

Spud, I think I might try flush mounted led blinkers. The mad hornet tail light is wired up so a portion on the side of the tail will blink. My state requires blinkers but I personally don't like how stock blinkers look.

Old 06-09-2013, 03:04 AM   #8

Sweet GTI! I haven't owned a VW for 10 years now; my last one was an '83 Jetta that I dropped an '88 Fox 1.8l into. Fun little car.

I can trade my tank shrouds for your rear fender and tail light, if you like.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-09-2013, 03:17 AM   #9

The front fender is a three bolt on the Lifan, which makes it a bit different from generic fenders. The early '80's XR200 used a three bolt fender. I have one that is cracked, but I could trim it and send it your way for cheap.

You can recover the seat yourself for cheap, with only a staple gun. I followed the instructions of mrmaxstorey on Youtube: I bought enough UV-rated red vinyl from the local fabric store to recover the seat twice, and it was less than $10.00

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-09-2013, 11:25 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyvdub89 View Post
Spud, I think I might try flush mounted led blinkers. The mad hornet tail light is wired up so a portion on the side of the tail will blink. My state requires blinkers but I personally don't like how stock blinkers look.
I installed DRC 586 LED turn signals on the rear fender of my CRF250X.

http://www.drcproducts.com/elect/d45-58-617/index.html

They are very bright, even in daylight, and they are practically indestructible. I like them a lot.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 06-09-2013, 03:24 PM   #11

Weld, I have the gas tank plastics. The only ones I might be missing are the plastics for the rear under the seat. PM me a price for the grunt mud guard, please! The rear tail light is busted up pretty bad. I'm not sure if you'd be interested in it still.

Spud, thank you so much for the marker idea. I was thinking about that last night and I really like that idea! We'll see what happens when I start ordering new parts.

No progress today. I was helping my lady's father with a stone wall we've been working on.

Old 06-09-2013, 03:39 PM   #12

looks like you've got about as much work to do on yours as I have on mine I'm still not 100% sure how I'm going to mount it, but I'm strongly considering This tail light for my '04 UM DS200.

Good luck on the resurection

Old 06-09-2013, 03:43 PM   #13

I'm not too fond of that tail light personally. I like the one spud has on his zong better. I'm not hating on it, just personal preferences.

Old 06-09-2013, 04:31 PM   #14

no doubt, the edge 2 is pretty slick. I love the turn signal feature. I had originally intended to buy it, but now I think I'm going for a different look on my bike. For the fronts, I was going to go with these b/c they're so short and stubby, but now I think I'm going to fabricate a headlight mount/wiring cover out of black diamond tread steel and flush mount these or maybe even THESE bad boys to it. I already have the diamond tread, just need to make it over to my buddy's shop and borrow the brake to bend it, and pick up some fork clamps to mount it.

Old 06-09-2013, 04:31 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyvdub89 View Post
Weld, I have the gas tank plastics. The only ones I might be missing are the plastics for the rear under the seat. PM me a price for the grunt mud guard, please! The rear tail light is busted up pretty bad. I'm not sure if you'd be interested in it still.
I thought i saw that the right side tank plastic was broken. Let me know if that's correct. The front fender is yours in trade for the rear fender and light assembly, despite whatever condition it's in.

This pic seems to show it as complete: