Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2014, 01:40 AM   #1

2008 Lifan GY-5

In October of 08 I bought three Lifan GY-5's the grey kind, or simply not from American Lifan. Many times I saw other makes and models and wished I had bought something different. I read a few things that made me wonder if the Lifans would hold up and how long.

I must admit growing up on Japanese bikes I found many things that I thought were weak, cables and the ultra thin electrical wiring to name a couple. But all three bikes are still running with very little work and no parts.

This year I was kick staring my bike as it had a dead stock 2008 battery, I remember reading that these batteries were junk. Well I put my bikes on battery tenders and they worked for years! But it gets even better today my youngest wanted to use my bike as it was out of the shop and handy, I told him go for it. When he got home he says I know something about your bike you don't, I am like whats that? Your electric starters is working he tells me... me wtf???

Well I went out for a quick ride and remembered what he had said, and pulled the choke and hit the starter and to my amazement it spun over and started, on a 5 1/2 year old stock battery!

The only problems with the bikes was one tach the needle was cracked where it went on the metal peg and the needle was slipping, it was a pita to get apart, but a drop of crazy glue fixed it up. The other problem has been not having a center stand, the kick stand sinks into the ground pretty easily allowing the bike to fall.

The bikes are not 2 stroke racers, I tend to think of it as nice looking big brother to the Honda 90 or just a trail bike.

Cheap junk, not in my opinion just a fun putt around trail bike!

Many thanks to the mods for the great job they do here!

Old 05-10-2014, 03:32 AM   #2

Thanks for posting the positive, long-term report, AD.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-10-2014, 03:57 AM   #3

That's really good news! I had excellent luck with the stock batteries in my quads, but they're now in battery heaven.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer