Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2015, 02:53 PM   #1

Hawks, Storms & sprockets

The subject of sprockets on these two Chinabikes, and I am including the 250 Storm, 200 Storm, and the 250 Hawk here, seems to be a bit simpler than is evident at first glance, if what I am reading is true. I am hoping to make my mind up soon and order a new dual sport. At first, the Bashan 200 was in my sights, and a gent named blueberry bought one and wrote about here and the other Chinabike forum. Then I looked at the 250 (229) Hawk. I also like the "Will" models, and the 250 Storm.

So, apparently typical of most Chinese motorcycles, all of these come geared pretty low. Many are switching to a larger front sprocket, some are replacing the rears, and some are doing both. It seems that most are finding off the shelf sprockets that fit, most likely, an older model Honda. But, blueberry said he was unable to locate an off the shelf rear sprocket for his 200 Storm, that was a direct replacement. He had to redrill holes using his original sprocket as a template on a drill press. I don't have a drill press, and would find it a big plus if the bike I get has readily available sprockets.

Here is some of what I have read on the two forums regarding these three bikes and sprockets. Anyone that owns one of these, and has changed sprockets, please, if I am wrong on my information, let me know.

One forum member with a Hawk just replaced the front sprocket with a JTF259.17T and declared it good. One plus was that he was able to stay with the chain without having to add links.

But, another member who bought a 2015 Hawk, said it came stock with a 17 front, and a 46 rear.Sounds like they changed the gearing on this bike.

Someone with a Hawk went to a JTR269.39T rear and a JTF269.17T front, and a JTR428HOR chain. chain with 132 links.

On the Bashan Storm 250, a member went to a JTF259.17T front, and a JTR269.39T rear, and he said he used a 428 chain with 132 links. I believe he later switched to a JTR269.45T rear.

apleschu , on his 250 Storm went from his stock 50 tooth rear, to a 37, but didn't give a part number.

On the Bashan 200 Storm, blueberry said his came stock with a 16 tooth front, and a 50 tooth rear. I would have thought that a Bashon 250 Storm might have the same sprockets, as far as configuration anyway, as the the 200 Storm? If that was the case, I wonder if he could have gone to a JTR26937T?, which would have been a direct fit as used on the Storm 250's? He went from his 50 tooth stock rear, to a 37, but didn't give a part number or his source. But, as I said, he had to modify it to fit.

Has anyone with Bashan 200 Storm have the part number for the front sprocket they replaced (without having to cut, grind, or drill)?

I have checked with Amazon.com on some of these sprockets. Some, they will not deliver to Hawaii, and some they will.

Whatever bike I order, I think I'll assemble it, locktite, change oil, get it running and try it out. If it seems geared too low, I'll first check how teeth on the front sprocket. If it's a 15 or 16, I'll try a 17 and see how it works. I think a one tooth change on a front is about equal to a 3 tooth change on the rear.

Old 09-20-2015, 04:38 PM   #2

Thanks, Jeffrey! Now we are getting somewhere. How many teeth did you go with on that front sprocket? So, that front anyway, is the same configuration that both the 250 Storm, and the 250 Hawk use.

And, how are the new new sprockets, and new gearing working out for you?

Old 09-20-2015, 05:16 PM   #3

OK, Jeffrey, so that front sprocket wouldn't have fit the engine that came in your Bashan 200?

Old 09-20-2015, 07:53 PM   #4

My Hawk came with 15/50 standard China bike Honda sprockets. I change the front to a 17 and am pleased, I have 45 rear but have not put it on yet. Sprockets are on eBay, only $10/$20 front/rear.

IMHO the hawk definitely needs to be geared lower for any street use, and the carb needs to be re jetted, or swapped to produce a satisfactory ride. I found my bike rather slow, probably slower than my older 200cc China bikes. But a carb swap per weld's advice, and a sprocket change has me quite happy. With the new carb, the bike has much more power and the lower RPM are usable, complete changing the ride ability.
I'm happy!!!

My opinion, these mods aren't optional and are really needed to make the bike worthy.

Old 09-20-2015, 08:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrey View Post
I changed my original engine to a overhead cam 200 changed carb to a 30mm mikuni changed the head pipe no cat style. Put 17 tooth counter shaft sprocket 45 tooth rear sprocket that's about it. But haven't tried it out on the road or in the dirt.
I bet that's as close to perfect as that bike can be.

Did you change the muffler or air filter?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-21-2015, 12:15 PM   #6

This is my favourite filter for Mikunis: http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLACK-42mm-B...4338a6&vxp=mtr

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-21-2015, 02:43 PM   #7

Jeffrey, please let us us know how the OHC engine compares with the OHV engine the bike came with. That should be of interest.