Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2007, 06:06 PM   #1

Iron Butt certification

A member some time ago said that it was his goal to accomplish Iron Butt certification (ride 1000 miles in 24 hrs) with his China bike. Since then I have heard no such talk from anyone on this forum. But I haven't stopped wondering if an Iron Butt is possible on a small Chinese dual sport. Has anyone else wondered about this? Do you think your bike could make it? Do you think you could? Who will be the first ChinaRiders member to perform such a feat?

Old 08-21-2007, 06:26 PM   #2

That's a steady 60mph for 16.5 hours, no. But 20 hours at 50mph? Ya I think my bike could do that. I'd say 2 out of 3 times, but not everytime like a big 4 sportbike. As for me, I could do it twice in two days. 8O

The question is, would anyone do that to their bike? Now if there was a brand new 200cc x-Ranger for the winner, I'd jump on my bike tonight.

Old 08-21-2007, 07:23 PM   #3

reminds me of this "run forest run"

I think my bike could do it but I wouldnt want to do it, ahh I hate to admit it but I like things a bit more comfy than a 1000 mile ride a brick.

I'd have to make a windshield or it would end up being a 1000 mile long bug buffet.

Old 08-21-2007, 09:32 PM   #4

Is 300 miles in 10 hours close enough?

I don't think I could last, but I am sure the bike would make it.

Allen

Old 08-21-2007, 10:34 PM   #5

The Iron Butt subject was discussed recently on Horizonsunlimited.com One of the posters mentioned that some of the more hardcore riders carry gallons of extra gas and add gas while riding, as well as wearing adult diapers, etc. I think that doing 1000 miles in, say, 4 days on a Chinese bike, would be a feat, but I am sure that someone, somewhere, will do the actual Iron Butt on a Chinese enduro in the near future, and most likely will be from Chinariders (no, not me, however!).

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 08-22-2007, 01:36 AM   #6

Im sure it is possible, but it is logisticly a challenge... I am canadian and wanted to figure it out where I would be able to judge it better... So I converted 1000miles into 1609.34kms.

Obviously hours are the same...

So assuming you ride for exactly 24 hours, you will need to travel 67.1 KM/H
or 41.7KM/H.

I would do some more math here, but I don't know the actual tank capacity, or actually average mileage, but let's say you need to stop for gas 5 times, each fill up taking maybe 5 minutes (if all goes well and there is no lineup to pay), that's 25 minutes lost.

Now your down to 23 hours and 35 minutes. This will mean you have to travel about 1 extra mile per hour... Then we need to factor in traffic, traffic controls, playground zones. Not to mention on these bikes you will need to factor in hills and headwinds. Those will definitely decrease your speed, and therefore you will have to travel faster the rest of the trip to make up for it.

There could possibly be mechanical issues with the bike, which could either completely ruin things and leave you stranded, or simply cost you another few minutes.

Then again, if you were to find a nice open freeway, and travel 100km/h (this is not factoring gas stops or anything), you could accomplish it in 16.09 hours.

Geographical location would definitely be an important factor in attempting this, as it would be much easier to accomplish in the prairies then it would in the mountains (unless your on the downhill side, but they even have a lot of up hills).

Another thing to keep in mind would be the speedometer/tach inaccuracy, you would most definitely want to have a clear idea of where 1000 miles actually is.

Then there is the question of why? I could see if there was some sort of actual award, prize, or recognition... Is there? Or could I just tell you all I've done it and hope you believe me? (I haven't, I've yet to get a motor mount bolt that will last 1000miles)

Old 08-22-2007, 01:21 PM   #7

You mission, should you decide to accept it LOL . Like Die Hard II you'd have to answer a ringing payphone 1000miles away, all you have is your chinabike. GO! 8O

Old 08-22-2007, 01:24 PM   #8

N2R. It is probably close to a 1000 miles from Toronto to Atlanta. Should I expect you about noon tomorrow?

Allen

Old 08-22-2007, 11:45 PM   #9

I guess you are standing there with a brand new 200cc and a bottle of aspirin for me eh? Honestly, I've hitchhiked from Toronto to Vancouver or the reverse at least 6 times. 3.5 to 5 days with no sleep. One time I beat the greyhound bus by 4 hours on a thumb trip from calgary to toronto. Day3 headaches, day 4 hallucinations, day 5 both. I am more certain that I'd make it than my bike. 8)

Old 08-23-2007, 12:46 AM   #10

is that why hitchers get all slashy slashy? kidding :twisted:

Old 08-23-2007, 12:52 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2riding
I guess you are standing there with a brand new 200cc and a bottle of aspirin for me eh? Honestly, I've hitchhiked from Toronto to Vancouver or the reverse at least 6 times. 3.5 to 5 days with no sleep. One time I beat the greyhound bus by 4 hours on a thumb trip from calgary to toronto. Day3 headaches, day 4 hallucinations, day 5 both. I am more certain that I'd make it than my bike. 8)
I have half a cx500 for you and some ibuprofen.

Allen

Old 08-23-2007, 10:44 AM   #12

I think it is possible given the right set of circumstances. First you would have to have a rider who is one of those "extreme sports dudes" who will do almost anything without thinking twice about it. Then you would have to have open, relatively flat roads such as you would find on the plains. You would have to watch the weather to avoid excessive headwinds, and preferably wait till you have a stiff tailwind. And then you would have to have a bike that been ridden enough to work out the weak spots, with a few basic upgrades, such as the seat, chain, larger or auxillary fuel tank, 42 tooth sprocket, and better headlight. Of course, you could get carried away with upgrades and mods for something like this but then you wouldn't have a China bike any more. I believe someone will do it at some point; there is always someone willing to perform a feat that few can accomplish. But let me assure you, I'm not one of them. I do believe however, that it would be good for the reputation of whatever brand is ridden.

Old 08-23-2007, 05:34 PM   #13

If I was going to do it I'd do like this.

First get the bike ready with gearing more for the road so I can cruise it better like on the E-way at 60mph, change out the tires to something a bit more suited to roads and add a simple fairing.
Add some storage bags, handlebar anti-vibe device/s and pad up the seat.

An auxillary fuel tank would be nice along with a larger fuel tank on the bike itself.

The hardest part is the thing is only 200cc's and after loading it all down with the needed items/tools it wouldnt want to move.

Basically I'm thinking roadside flat repairs to be a problem and the electrical would have to be rock solid on it.

We trailer ours upnorth when we go riding because after a short day, 3-5 hours offroading we are usually whipped.

Old 08-23-2007, 07:44 PM   #14

I rode about 100 miles straight without getting off the bike and only stopping for redlights.

That was enough. My journey had many stops about 15 miles apart so it wasn't too bad. The last stretch was from the gas station to home. It was over a 100 miles as I was about to run out.

Allen

Old 08-23-2007, 08:04 PM   #15

If we just ride around the house on the roads we can cover 40-60 miles very easily.
To do 1000 miles I'd have to run the E-way most of the time.

I just hate riding the roads around here with so many idiots out there (southeast michigan = millions of people)