Old 08-24-2007, 10:14 AM   #1

Close call - deer vs motorcycle video

This is nutz......

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=629_1187712839
2005 TANK Trail 200
2009 Lifan LY110GY-3 (2)

Old 08-24-2007, 10:50 AM   #2

Rider hits deer. On board cam.
Warning! Has graphic image of dead deer and deer contents spilled onto roadway!

http://home1.gte.net/res0ak9f/bike-deer1.mpg

And of course it's from Ride to Die....

Old 08-24-2007, 01:27 PM   #3

Dang, and the bike really didn't look all that bad considering. I've heard a story of a guy splitting a deer in half riding a larger street bike and he was able to stop without dropping the bike. His comments were that he, and the bike were covered with deer $hit.....

Thanks for sharing....
2005 TANK Trail 200
2009 Lifan LY110GY-3 (2)

Old 08-24-2007, 07:56 PM   #4

I hit small deer on my virago about 4 years ago. Both I and the deer walk away. I caught his head with my left fork and kept the bike up. The deer bounced and got back up I had a bruised ankle from him pressing it into the engine.

I manage to get down to about 15 mph before impact.

Allen

Old 08-24-2007, 08:12 PM   #5

A guy I know was doing around 80mph in a 4 door GMC dually when a (BIG!) buck jumped in front of the truck. The damage to the truck was amazing... totalled it. Of course the deer was mangled pretty bad. He brought it home and tried to salvage the meat... there was one tenderloin worth keeping and that was it.

Old 08-24-2007, 08:26 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to mdsuave13 Send a message via Yahoo to mdsuave13
i hit 2 deer at the same time in my ford ranger and one of them actually went over the hood, crushed the windshield in and landed in the bed of my truck. It was dead on impact, the other ricocheted off the front and lived.. it was absolutely crazy.

i was actually very lucky because that truck had window tint on the whole front windsheild and that is what kept the deer from coming thru the window into the cab...

2008 Kawasaki KLR650 Candy Lime Green

I am the official China bike registration Guru For the State of Maryland..... HA.

Old 08-24-2007, 08:43 PM   #7

My until gave me a chevette that my cousin was driving and a deer ran into the side of the car and got it head stuck in the passenger window.

They kept that deer. It was in season.

Allen

Old 08-24-2007, 09:50 PM   #8

Hey guys, I hope everyone is doing well.

I just got done looking at that ride2die.com page and looking at those graphic photos and story's.

My question is, I mean, I shouldn't be all that concerned right, Ill will make it a habit to dress safe, besides, leathers and a helmet just looks badass anyways. Ive ridden a motorcycle from Minneapolis to Wabasha MN, without a helmet my first time on a bike and I loved it. I was in complete control. But these situations outta your hands are purely unavoidable it seems.

Riding a bike is safe right?

After seeing those pics is just another reason I just want a small 200cc Bike in the first place. Cause I know Im one of those who would go nuts with ALOT of power.

Old 08-24-2007, 10:08 PM   #9

Only having 200cc has slowed me down alot. I am having more fun just cruising along at 45mph with a line of cars behind me.

Having ridden in MN, I prefer the full-face helmet to prevent the skeeters from the face.

Plus it gets cold when the sun goes down.

I took my riding test in the snow. 8O

Allen

Old 08-24-2007, 10:19 PM   #10

There have been two member riders seriously injured the last several months, one being 'bfe71730' and the most recent, 'red2003' Bfe71730's accident was a result of a dog running out in front of him, and Red's was leaning too far over and catching the foot peg.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 08-25-2007, 03:33 AM   #11

I drove over a big duck the other day with the qingqi mc, I was running about 40km/h and the duck came frtom behind a parked car. I drove right over it with front wheel, but managed to stop so that the duck could fly away

I hope it is still alive with no damage
have own
TMS (qingqi) Offroad 200cc -07 (died after 6000km)
Yamaha XS 400 -82
Suzuki TS50X -94

Old 08-25-2007, 08:51 AM   #12

"Riding a bike is safe right? "

No it's not. It's very dangerous and should be taken seriously.

You have only 2 wheels. One of them looses traction and you do the wrong thing your going to be on the road. A few pebbles in a corner, cause a small slide so you hit the rear break or let off the gas.. your toast.

Want a single rider crash simulation, say a high side?

Get on a pinic table, do a belly flop onto cement. Better yet, try to break your fall with your elbows and your hands folded the wrong way. AFter that have a friend attack you with a large belt sander with 75-100 git paper and have them grind away at your wrists, hips, back, side, legs, and any exposed skin. Once your laying on the ground bleeding and twitching have them drop your bike on you.

That's a single rider accident, a high side. Except it all happens at about the same time over a 10-20 second time period.

I read about a abrasion test for different materials. They were tested on asphalt at 50mph in a simulated crash-type situation....
Leather (real leather, not fasion clothing) lasted eight-five feet
Kevlar lasted eighteen feet.
Denim (aka blue jeans) lasted FOUR feet.

I figure if your going at 60mph and drop the bike it's going to be at least 30-40 feet of sliding. A high performance car will take 140 or so feet to stop, if that gives you a idea. A good ballistic nylon outfit will survive that. (a bad one will melt into your skin). A good leather outfit will just look that much cooler with the scrape markets.

If you look at motorcycle racing you'll see people low-siding their motorcycle and sliding along their back at about 160 MPH. Then they get up and walk it off. Try doing that in a T-shirt.

How about a 2 vehicle crash?

Your on a bike. The bike is small, bikes are generally hard to see.. especially from the front. Your little 200cc bike weighs about 300 pounds, most guys probably are going to weigh around 150-210 pounds or so.

Imagine the average soccer mom with have 2-4 screaming kids in the back seat screaming while watching disney movies. She is on her period, she is late, she is pissed and she is talking to her friend about how much of a a-hole her husband is. The SUV she is riding IN (versus you riding ON, or maybe more accurately AROUND your bike) is about, on average, 7000 pounds of steel, plastic, and glass with a 5000cc engine.

If she decides that it's a nice time to suddenly accelerate through a left turn on yellow-turning-red light, while your going through the opposite lane.. the results are not going to be pretty and no matter what happens your going to be on the losing side. She is probably not going to see you, but you can see her if your paying attention.

Biking CAN be fun and safe, but it is inherently dangerous. Crazy shit happens all the time. So discipline, skill, caution, patience, your riding gear (full face helmet, armored pants, jacket, proper leather gloves, and reinforced boots) performance of your bike and tires are all things that will come in handy.

Check out http://www.msgroup.org/forums/mtt/default.asp

There is a lot of good info in there.

One thing I've been having a lot of fun doing lately is practicing low-speed manuvers. Just doing circles and u-turns at tight as I can without touching the ground. It's quite a challenge.

Don't touch the front brake at slow speeds, use the clutch, throttle, and rear break to keep forward momentum. There are guys with 800-pound harleys that can do 360 circle in 19feet. Should be cake in a light bike like these chinabikes.

On that forum I found links to police-style drills that enhance balance and control. Later on I am going to hook up with my brother and try to lay out some courses on a parking lot. Should be fun.

Oh, and for something funny:
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Corona_...r_Than_Leather

Old 08-25-2007, 09:02 AM   #13

Oh, here is why you need a full face helmet also:
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Image:Helmet_5.jpg

That's recorded history of real crash percentages on helmets. Full 30% of impacts or scrapes happen on the chin.

Plus it sucks to get hit in the face with a bug or a stone. That stuff can knock you off the bike if it's big enough and your going fast enough.

Old 08-25-2007, 02:31 PM   #14

IF you are a new rider, take a MSF course. Money well spent and you will likely get a discount on insurance.

I have been riding for years, but I am still thinking of a taking a course.

Never too late to learn some new tips to be safe.

Pick out riding gear that has some reflective material and some brighter colors on it too.

I have a black jacket with yellow accents and silver reflective material. I have an olympia similar to this one. It is last years or the year befores model. http://www.olympiamotosports.com/airglide/airglide.htm

If you ebay, you can find new or next to new jackets for a good price. I paid about $90 shipped. I got a new fulmer het that is snell approve that is the same colors too.

Allen

Old 08-25-2007, 04:07 PM   #15

Thos MSC are the way to go, And save You a lot of trouble dealing with the DMV.