Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2016, 06:14 PM   #1

Tao Tao 110L

Hello all! Not long ago was our now 4 year olds birthday and I had been looking at new and used (craigslist) Chinese four wheelers for him. I finally found and I picked up what I think was a heck of a deal on a older Tao Tao 110L or L1 (not sure the difference?). I got it on craigslist and the add said the guy had got it for his grandson 6-7 years ago and his grandson rode it for 10 minutes and didnt like it. He said it had been sitting in his barn for all this time and had 10 minutes of use on it! We went to look at it and he was telling the truth... it was a little dusty and had a little surface rust on the brush guard, muffler and some of the bolt/screw heads but other than that it looked brand new! He was asking $350 and I asked him if he would take $300 cash and he quickly said yes as I started thumbing threw some twenty dollar bills. lol I got a new battery for it, cleaned the carb up some and got it running enough to take Jr for a ride around the house a few times tho it wouldnt idle (I figured as much). Then I broke into the carb again and then broke the carb! lol No big deal, I just ordered a new one and it should be here tomorrow. I cant wait to get it on and let our little man take it for his first ride! One thing I was wondering is have any of you done anything with the headlights on one like this? I havnt taken them out but they look to be 1156's or something similar. Even tho I dont see having it out much at night they are of little to no use! Just thought it would be cool to put something that you could actually see with! lol Any words of advice or wisdom? I will be putting a in line fuel filter and a in line fuel shut off... anything else I should do?

Old 01-23-2016, 10:36 AM   #2

I'd change the oil before you let him ride it, they put really crappy oil in these. I bought mine new and only let my boy drive it around for one day before I changed the oil and it came out looking like it was in there 20 years, lol. Wish I'd have changed it before I ever let him ride it after I saw what it looked like.

The lights on ours are pretty worthless too. I never bothered with them as he never rides at night, I'm not even sure what type of electricity they work off of. Magneto's put out AC. The Japanese bikes use a regulator/rectifier to convert that to DC but I've heard some of these Chinese bikes just use a regulator and run everything off of AC. I'm sure if you searched "lighting upgrade" here you would find a few threads on it.

Old 01-23-2016, 02:04 PM   #3

Yeah that was the first thing I did was change the oil and it still had the shipping oil in it.. but I guess it was only ran for 10 mins with the shipping oil in it before I got it. May be a good thing it had that oil in it as it sat for 6-7 years before we got it!

Old 01-23-2016, 11:18 PM   #4

Welcome! Your four year old looks very happy.

I'd forget about the headlights, since they'll quickly drain the battery. You've covered a lot, so the only remaining thing I can think of is Loctite. Lots of Loctite.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 01-23-2016, 11:31 PM   #5

Not sure which bulbs yours has in it.. On ours the tail lights are 1157's.. I just switched them to LED's... But the headlights, I have not been able to find a matching bulb.. The bulb mount has a round disk shape with one tit on it.. The wire harness contact holds the bulb in place witha twist lock.. I tried a hb3/9005 bulb but the pattern was too big to fit twist lock part.. I think I'm going to end up with just some low Watt LED's. I don't think it generates much current, so I don't want to go too big.. One of ours has the 107cc engine so it should be about the same as yours... I also noticed they run the voltage a little high.. Pretty common to see it in the 15-16V range..

Old 01-24-2016, 04:59 AM   #6

Thats what I was thinking.. some led's but I wasnt sure if they would work.. Its no big deal anyway. Also I took it down the road today and if you are going very fast at all the front end wobbles back and forth bad every time you hit a small bump. The wobble is real! Not sure what to do about that but it is dangerous!

Old 01-24-2016, 05:26 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Welcome! Your four year old looks very happy.

I'd forget about the headlights, since they'll quickly drain the battery. You've covered a lot, so the only remaining thing I can think of is Loctite. Lots of Loctite.
Thank you!

Yes he is VERY happy! I got the carb and got it put on.. runs great now. My little man rode it by himself for the 1st time and he did great and had a TON of fun! Im sure he will be riding like a champ in no time!

Old 01-25-2016, 10:09 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country View Post
I took it down the road today and if you are going very fast at all the front end wobbles back and forth bad every time you hit a small bump. The wobble is real! Not sure what to do about that but it is dangerous!
What is wobbling? Can you find any looseness in the front wheels, tie rods, ball joints or control arms?

Are you certain that it is wobbling, and not producing bumpsteer?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 01-27-2016, 06:58 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
What is wobbling? Can you find any looseness in the front wheels, tie rods, ball joints or control arms?

Are you certain that it is wobbling, and not producing bumpsteer?
Yeah.. bumpsteer. There is some looseness in the spindle.

Old 01-27-2016, 11:08 AM   #10

Bumpsteer is all too common on some of the smaller quads. I recommend the following:

Lift up the front of the quad, and place the front center of the frame on a jack stand. Remove one front shock, and then cycle that wheel up and down (with the handlebars and wheels pointed straight), through the range of travel. You'll likely notice that the wheel does not remain straight, but rather it turns in or out as the wheel cycles up and down.

The fix might be to flip one of the tie rod ends upside down. That worked on my 150cc quad. Read about it here: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=14105

Old 01-30-2016, 11:08 PM   #11

I started my twins out at three yrs old on 110 taotao and they ran them everyday for five yrs.. my sons EVERYTHING VIBRATED off it.. but it ran and worked, minus a broken wire from time to time. even stock battery lasted three years.. good stuff

Old 02-15-2016, 06:14 AM   #12

I think its safe to say he is enjoying it!

Old 02-15-2016, 10:09 AM   #13

^^^^LOL Is that a little Ricky Bobby? He just wants to go fast!

/

Old 02-15-2016, 11:11 AM   #14

You're watching memories being formed.