Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2016, 03:00 PM   #1

Upgrading a TaoTao Rhino questions

I am not sure if this is allowed, but I would like to ask for suggestions to help upgrade my girlfriends sisters quad. Here is my goal, she bought a honda recon 230cc new after my girlfriend bought her this TaoTao for her 40th birthday. I want to make the TaoTao enjoyable for her to ride, so I see that suspension is an issue. Here is a list of what I have for her right now

foam air filter http://www.ebay.com/itm/161821510383...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

12 front sprocket http://www.ebay.com/itm/200897383575...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

THIS is what I was thinking of getting next but I thought the valuable input from anyone here would be very much welcome.

Some kind of CDI ignition system? Not sure what to get. Her quad is not at my place so I do not get to look at it much.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201301875947...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Suspension is a must, but what?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/00-Yamaha-Bl...3D161971863818

or?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2006-HONDA-2...3D161958689244

Isnt there some recommended sparkplug and wire that I should get? After this it should be spacers for the rear off of Amazon and then that should do it? Do you think a muffler is needed? If so, what kind?

THank you for taking the time to read, consider and offer feedback. I want her to really enjoy the TaoTao after all....

Old 02-19-2016, 07:47 PM   #2

I know some will chime in, but before then, you should peruse youtube as there are quite a few Taotao ATV videos on there--some have done modifications from what I remember, but I don't recall a lot of modification videos, either. At least you will get some good feedback there--a few videos present the 'good, bad, and ugly' of Taotao ATVs.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 02-20-2016, 02:04 PM   #3

Here is a mod. video

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 02-22-2016, 11:22 PM   #4

The eBay suspension links were gone by the time I got here.

Either the air filter or the sprocket is likely to be incorrect. What size is the engine?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 02-23-2016, 08:26 AM   #5

I'm looking at these for the front of my Rhino.

http://www.amazon.com/Wotefusi-Absor...rt+Sport+Bikes

and this for the rear.....down the road.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0087QXXQC/...I1EZI7FGDNPDIQ

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 02-23-2016, 01:33 PM   #6

Ok, that bronco shock I have seen on Ebay. Interesting. I did pick up shocks, but unfortunately the guy packed all three into a box and one broke out of the box and I ended up with a rear and one front. That sucked, so I am still out one front shock...Have you had any feedback on those front shocks on Amazon? (I read the 4 postings, but wondered if you have had or know someone who has them?) Are they plush? Do they have good rebound, are they nitrogen or air or fake reservoirs?

I bought that front sprocket and the air filter so I may as well have a couple of hours with her Rhino and get the rear shock on and the sprocket and filter. I really want her to like this quad so I hope she appreciates the upgrades. I think the suspension will help. Any CDI feed back?

Old 02-23-2016, 01:42 PM   #7

The shocks seem OK on my Taotao 250 but I'm relatively inexperienced riding these things. Tire pressure makes a huge difference though. A sticker on mine says recommended pressure is 2.9 psi which makes it ride nice on bumps. With 5 psi it rides like an old truck.

Old 02-23-2016, 01:58 PM   #8

Thanks for the feedback Mudflap. Did you just dump the stock shocks because they were too stiff or you just wanted to upgrade the suspension? Most of my old trucks are really soft on the suspension side because they are all beat up, is that what you mean? I am going for softer, so I think I will drop my tire pressure to 3.5 pounds to see how that feels.

Appreciate the response, thank you for the input!

Old 02-23-2016, 02:55 PM   #9

What tire pressure is recommended for the Rhino? By old truck I meant a rough ride. The shocks are stock. Should have been more clear. Anyway tire pressure makes a huge difference.

Old 02-23-2016, 05:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by funonemax View Post
Ok, that bronco shock I have seen on Ebay. Interesting. I did pick up shocks, but unfortunately the guy packed all three into a box and one broke out of the box and I ended up with a rear and one front. That sucked, so I am still out one front shock...Have you had any feedback on those front shocks on Amazon? (I read the 4 postings, but wondered if you have had or know someone who has them?) Are they plush? Do they have good rebound, are they nitrogen or air or fake reservoirs?

I bought that front sprocket and the air filter so I may as well have a couple of hours with her Rhino and get the rear shock on and the sprocket and filter. I really want her to like this quad so I hope she appreciates the upgrades. I think the suspension will help. Any CDI feed back?
I haven't had any feed back on the Amazon shocks but my line of thinking is they MUST be better. I think our Tao Tao's come with the $18.95 dollar variety China shocks. This is something I'm just going to gamble on when they get ordered. Unfortunately, that's not going to be too soon. Other projects in the works.

What front sprocket did you order? Was it from JT Sprockets? I see we have a 520 chain. That was a surprise. I need to knock a couple teeth off the counter shaft sprocket and make first gear a granny. I don't really see myself needing to do 45 MPH on the Rhino anytime soon.

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 02-24-2016, 11:41 PM   #11

Quote:
Any CDI feed back?
A performance CDI might alter the timing and remove the rev limiter, but it'll also make it hard to start. If it's for someone who isn't looking to race it, stick with the stocker.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 02-26-2016, 04:38 PM   #12

Good to know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
A performance CDI might alter the timing and remove the rev limiter, but it'll also make it hard to start. If it's for someone who isn't looking to race it, stick with the stocker.

Ok, good to know. I did not know what to look for anyways. Better wire and plug then?

2LZ I bought the one I listed in my previous post. I have NO IDEA if it fits, just ordered it since it was the same one on my motorcycle. Her quad is not in my garage, so when I pull the cover off I will find out. Says it will fit, fingers crossed. She found out on Monday that she had a cyst the size of an orange on her ovary. Today she found out the blood test was negative (so that's positive oddly), so she is going in for emergency surgery next week. That puts her down for probably 5 weeks of healing before she gets back on the quad, this means I REALLY have to make sure the suspension is plush. This also gives me more time to dial it in.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200897383575...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Have a great weekend, I will try to take some pictures

Old 02-26-2016, 05:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Ok, good to know. I did not know what to look for anyways. Better wire and plug then?

2LZ I bought the one I listed in my previous post. I have NO IDEA if it fits, just ordered it since it was the same one on my motorcycle. Her quad is not in my garage, so when I pull the cover off I will find out. Says it will fit, fingers crossed. She found out on Monday that she had a cyst the size of an orange on her ovary. Today she found out the blood test was negative (so that's positive oddly), so she is going in for emergency surgery next week. That puts her down for probably 5 weeks of healing before she gets back on the quad, this means I REALLY have to make sure the suspension is plush. This also gives me more time to dial it in.

My gosh! Good luck to your lady friend and prayers and positive thoughts going your direction!
Keep us posted.

In the meantime, I may have some time this weekend to take the sprocket off and do some measuring and research on JT Sprockets for us.

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 02-27-2016, 02:20 PM   #14

Quote:

Good Heavens! Prayers sent.

Old 02-29-2016, 03:13 PM   #15

Appreciate the good thoughts, She should find out when surgery is this week some time today. My weekend was blown, I spent my time under the house fixing some plumbing issues that came up from bad contract work on my girlfriends house. I also looked at a few properties for myself. We then spent a night putting a 3000 piece jigsaw together (and 2 days afterwards) so nothing was done on the quad.

My motivation has been zilch since we know she wont be able to ride for at least 8 weeks while recovering. Good news though, I am going to fly out to see my family on the west coast and my buddy has a friend that is a tour guide in Eastern Oregon, so we will go for a 4 hour tour in the mountains on a few fun dirt bikes. I am using sky miles to get me there so the whole trip should be VERY affordable...(Famous last words...)

So I have been thinking, with so many axles on ebay, has anyone thought about purchasing a longer axle for each side instead of hub extenders? Just curious, I see them on ebay for 19 dollars each or so, thought it may be worth an experiment...