Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2007, 03:32 PM   #1

HELP! My 200cc Sierra is it a ZongShen????

:?:

I recently bought a 200cc Chinese Enduro motorcycle. It is a 2005 and it runs strong. I came with a title and it is registered in Texas to ride on the Street. It has the Name "Sierra" on the Gas Tank and Motor and SR200 on the back of the bike.

Does anyone know anything about Sierra? Is it the model, manufacturer etc. The Vin No. Starts with LXYPCML........

I was told by the previous owner he got insurance on it, under the name ZongShen Sierra. Is this correct?

I would just like a little info on the Bike.

Here is my review on it after riding it a few times:
It seems to be put together ok, I have not had any problems with anything falling off or apart.

The only complaint is the Speedometer is in Kilometers. Do you know where I can get one that reads MPH.

Here is the Bike.

Old 08-29-2007, 04:28 PM   #2

Sierra SR200 ebay Item number: 290155455871

I found This Info on EBAY about a Sierra sr200 That looks just like mine...Does anyone know if any of this info is True?

Quote:
You are bidding on a brand new Sierra SR200 200cc enduro/dual-sport motorcycle! This is a full size motorcycle with electric start, full lights set, speedometer (in MPH), dual-piston front disk brakes, 5 speed standard gearbox (1 down, 4 up) and a digital gear indicator. This motorcycle comes with the Manufacturers Certificate of Origin, so it is street legal in most states. This bike was designed by Suzuki engineers in the Suzuki/Hyosung Research and Development Center in Hamamatsu, Japan and build by Sierra Motorcycles. The bike features the Suzuki designed 163FML 200cc engine with great power and reliability, large 21 inch front and 18 inch rear wheels for great handling and ground clearance, advanced dual-sport tires were included for on and off-road performance. It features great looking painted ABS body panels with clearcoat. This is a quality product made by an ISO9001 company to provide years of enjoyment. We have traded on eBay since 1998 with perfect feedback, so bid with confidence!

Old 08-29-2007, 05:35 PM   #3

I don't know about those specs.

The sierra is made by Zongshen and it is almost exactly the same as Sam's Qlink x-ranger.

See his thread.

Allen

Old 08-29-2007, 05:59 PM   #4

I don't know about those claims of being of Suzuki design, but it seems to be another of the many Honda clone 163fml 200 engines most of us here own. Just make sure all the nuts and bolts stay put (loctite) and you should be good to go.
2005 TANK Trail 200
2009 Lifan LY110GY-3 (2)

Old 08-29-2007, 07:19 PM   #5

sierra

Was that the one on craigslist in Houston?

Old 08-29-2007, 08:14 PM   #6

I am 99.9% sure that your bike is a Shineray (hence the "S")manufactured bike. The Sierra name is "borrowed" from Zongshen. I wouldn't really believe about 50% of the info spewed out by Ebayers, such as the Hyosung/Suzuki tripe. I think that Shineray are a genuine manufacturer and produce their own 163 FML engine, probably utilizing the same tooling that Lifan and Zongshen use. Assuming that it is a Shineray, the bike should be a good "meat and potatoes" GY200. The last few weeks, a few newer members have joined and have purchased Shineray bikes, although under the "Speedee" name, not Sierra. One that comes to mind is 'Desert Drew'--pm him or search out his threads, and you should see the other Shineray owners.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 08-29-2007, 08:16 PM   #7

I forgot to mention, insurance would be difficult to narrow down to every GY200 brand, so if Zongshen Sierra fits, and the price is right, buy that insurance. Also, try Lifan or American Lifan LF200GY-2 or LF200GY-5 through your agent.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 08-29-2007, 10:12 PM   #8

Zongshen also makes the Ranger 200. They call it the Ranger ZSM 200GY-A. It looks like the GY-2 and not the Sierra. The Sierra 200 is called the ZSM 200GY-2 for some reason. I don't understand how these companies work and where they get the names they use. A lot of the problems stem from translating Chinese to English. If it has Sierra on it, chances are it's not a real Zongshen or someone liked the name enough to print new stickers for it. Who knows! They seem to have switched the names on these. Could it be as simple as just a typo on the website?

The engines are completely different! One Honda based and the other Yamaha based. I think someone at corporate switched the names accidentally. My QLink is called the X-Ranger 200GY-A. Yep, I think somebody blew it!

2017 Coleman CT200U
1978 Yamaha SR500E
1979 Yamaha XS650 Special II

Old 08-29-2007, 11:07 PM   #9

Maybe we should make a thread that is nothing but pics of the bike motors..And which brand they came from, It might help people know which clone they have. Because I am still not sure if mine is the Yamaha or Honda copy..I think honda.

Old 08-29-2007, 11:14 PM   #10

Hi srreynolds2003, welcome to the site!

Shineray is known for having the speedo in kilometers.
Check out this thread for parallax's speedo cure...
New Trail Tech Vapor
I plan to use the Trail Tech Vapor also but I am going to get the indicator light dashboard for it also and eliminate the stock speedo and idiot lights. A great bonus with the Trail Tech Vapor is that you gain a tach and a cylinder head temperature gauge.

Insurance companies don't seem to be too picky about what brand you call the bike. It's the motor vehicle dept. in some states that are the sticklers, but you are already past that hurdle having a title? What does the title say for a manufacturer?

Old 08-30-2007, 12:17 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ200cc
Maybe we should make a thread that is nothing but pics of the bike motors..And which brand they came from, It might help people know which clone they have. Because I am still not sure if mine is the Yamaha or Honda copy..I think honda.
As far as I know, the only Yamaha-like/based bikes are/were the Vento Mountrack/Qlink X-Ranger/Zongshen Sierra which were the same bike based on/are the Zongshen Sierra.

Qingqi, which has a limited presence here in the US, are Suzuki-based, according to Swedish member, Catastrophix. This is based on the fact that he owns one, and that Qingqi has a manufacturing deal with Suzuki, and (most likely) produce Suzuki's small engine bike line-up. Pioneer Motors are supposed to be Qingqi's, but no one here has one to confirm or deny this. However, Qlink, who rebadged the Zongshen Sierra as a Qlink x-Ranger (see above), will be rebadging a very cool Qingqi model as their own come October. More than likely, at least one of us will be owners of one of these bad-boys, so we can report all the ins and outs of them, and confirm the Suzuki connection.

So to answer your question, I would venture to say that your bike has a Honda design-based engine in your bike.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 08-30-2007, 09:20 AM   #12

WOW

Thanks guys for all of the info. This is very useful stuff.

rob6262:
To answer a question from early, yes this is the bike from Graigslist in Houston. It actually is a decent bike. it has about 600 Kilometers on it. I was tolded it was owned by a Flat Track race team, and they used it as a Pit bike, I have a photo, of them with it at a track, that came with all the documentation. I have put about 15-20 Kilometers on it since I picked it up on Sunday. So far so good. Mostly driveing it around My neighborhood, since I don't have a license yet. I am taking the Motorcycle course at Awesome Cycles in a few weeks.

I am going to take it to KBC Cycles in Tomball, and Kenny is going to run thru the whole bike and check it all out this weekend. If you are in the Houston Area, KBC CYCLES works on China Bikes. http://www.kbccycles.com

culcune:
Insurance thru geico and it is a decent price.

desert_drew:
Year Model:2005
Make of Vehicle: SIER
Body Style:MC

Old 08-30-2007, 10:41 AM   #13

Now that I can see the pictures, it appears to be just like most of the china bikes with the honda style.

Enjoy it.

Allen

Old 08-30-2007, 11:02 AM   #14

My temporary fix to the Speedo problem, I just drew a black line on the rim of the Speedo with a Black Sharpie for the 20, 40, and 60 MPH marker.
Here’s a conversion chart.
http://www.teaching-english-in-japan...ion/kilometers

I will eventually get a MPH Digital Dashboard or Replacement Speedo

Old 08-30-2007, 04:09 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by srreynolds2003
My temporary fix to the Speedo problem, I just drew a black line on the rim of the Speedo with a Black Sharpie for the 20, 40, and 60 MPH marker.
Here’s a conversion chart.
http://www.teaching-english-in-japan...ion/kilometers

I will eventually get a MPH Digital Dashboard or Replacement Speedo
I used the sharpie technique on my yamaha radian. It was in MPH, but was so far off that I needed to mark the right speeds.

My lifan speedo is better.