Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2016, 08:34 PM   #1

Hawk 45 tooth sprocket installed today

finally got past my procrastination and other things on the to-do list. I can't say that I'm thrilled with the 45 tooth on the rear, but it's ok. I gained a few mph on the road, but the bike still doesnt pull hard enough to really get over 60 indicated on the speedo. I used a phone speedometer app to measure while I was on my ride. my max speed was 58 which was probably on a downhill that I got to about 63. so with correction, the hawk is running about 55 on flat roads. with only 300 miles on the odometer, I'll just ride for now and give the bike some more break in time.

I can see value to the 17/45 combination for street riding. it definitely lets the bike stretch legs more on the street. I can see where it would be a drawback for trails though. However, I think swapping the front for the 15 would be an easy and quick change over depending on riding intentions.

In my opinion, the 17/45 would be good for street use or fairly nicely groomed gravel or dirt roads. if you're going to do anything more aggressive, switch to the 50 in the back, or perhaps the 15 in the front. if you're looking for serious dirt/climbing/off roading, I think the 15/50 would be better.

give me a few more weeks to put some more miles on the bike and we'll see if the top end power improves.

Old 04-01-2016, 08:48 PM   #2

by the way....one thing to pay attention to....

sprockets come in different thicknesses. Be SURE that when you assemble the rear with your new sprocket that you get the retaining clip fully seated in the groove. Don't ask me how I learned this lesson, but suffice to say, I have a few bent and chewed up parts on my rear end.

I used a grinder to grind down the sprocket close to the hub where the part was too thick. honestly, if you don't have a grinder this will be a PITA. perhaps with a dremmel. I had to grind down about a full millimeter. perhaps a scosh more. i did it slowly and test fit until the groove was accessible to the retaining clip. if someone has a link to a known GOOD rear sprocket, post it here so others don't make the same mistake I did.

Old 04-01-2016, 09:01 PM   #3

i had to persuade the clip to fully seat in the ring on both hawks here, but only a wedge shaped drift was required, no grinding. you do have to notice that at first it doesn't uniformly seat itself around its full circumference. my bad for not posting that detail. i ordered the ones on amazon.
Seer's First LAW-"FLY THE PLANE!", fail that, and nothing else matters. 12th Law- Consider what marvels you might do if only you had tomorrow to live over again. Third Law-When someone tells you some thing "Can't Be Done", what they're really saying is They can't do it!!14th Law-Just because something "IS", doesn't necessarily mean it SHOULD be.. Eighth Law-The only true personal security is anonymity.Ninth Law-Humans tend to learn very little when speaking.10th Law-Some lives ARE worth taking

Old 04-01-2016, 09:32 PM   #4

Hmmm - based on the threads around here, I would have expected a bit more out of that combination. Is your carburetor dialed in?

I've only done two mods from stock myself, 17T front, and some hacks to the sheng wey carb. Both have added a couple of MPH at WOT in 5th. The sprocket didn't add much, but extended 5th by a few MPH. I think I was topping out at 57 or so vs. the low-50s stock. The carb hacks improved the throttle response and allowed me to push over 60 on a flat grade with the 17/50 combo.

Old 04-01-2016, 09:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgo View Post
Hmmm - based on the threads around here, I would have expected a bit more out of that combination. Is your carburetor dialed in?

I've only done two mods from stock myself, 17T front, and some hacks to the sheng wey carb. Both have added a couple of MPH at WOT in 5th. The sprocket didn't add much, but extended 5th by a few MPH. I think I was topping out at 57 or so vs. the low-50s stock. The carb hacks improved the throttle response and allowed me to push over 60 on a flat grade with the 17/50 combo.

Yeah same here, my bike pulls to about 75-80 mph indicated. (Mikuni 30mm, 17/50)(I know that isnt correct, its probably somewhere around 60.)

I think I like the 17/50 setup... I go on some rough terrain and long stretches of highway. I can do both pretty good right now.

Old 04-01-2016, 09:54 PM   #6

Interesting. Mine tops out at 56 mph. That's with a carb change only no other mods.

Old 04-01-2016, 10:28 PM   #7

i've gotten to about 56 on my 17/45 combo. but i dont have 200 miles on it yet. gonna give it a little more time. still haven't done the carb upgrade yet. added a washer to the needle and did air mix adjust. actually gonna put the 15t back on front and just use it what i bought it for. (screwing around on the dirt and stuff.) all i need it to really do is get to about 55 to take some FM roads.

Old 04-02-2016, 08:32 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgo View Post

My carb is 30/117.5, pilot screw at 1.5 out and needle on second slot. Had a friend who knows carbs and dirt bikes check it out. He said it's running pretty good. Hopefully some more miles on it will make a difference.

Old 04-02-2016, 08:35 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mq1991 View Post
Yeah same here, my bike pulls to about 75-80 mph indicated. (Mikuni 30mm, 17/50)(I know that isnt correct, its probably somewhere around 60.)

I think I like the 17/50 setup... I go on some rough terrain and long stretches of highway. I can do both pretty good right now.
I wish you were closer so we could swap and compare!

Old 04-02-2016, 08:40 AM   #10

mikuni 30/115 and just did the sprocket swap and 60 is easy and at 55 just purrs. I did remove my cat. but at the same time I did the rear sprocket so not sure if that helped also.

Old 04-02-2016, 08:58 AM   #11

i am in the same boat as you, sport rider, only with a storm 250 ... only i have 40/115 jets with the clip dropped one from center and about 330 miles ... i have hit 71mph 2 times, both down hill and strong wind at my back ... but for the most part, 61mph with wot for about 1/2 mile ... 55 cruses just under wot but 53 is much better ... i just need that 4 or 5 more mph cruse speed to make it alright out there with the traffic on the highway

Old 04-02-2016, 07:19 PM   #12

So you inspired me Sport... I finally pulled the rear wheel an installed the 45t on the rear. So one of my hawks is now bone stock w/500 miles and the other has the 17/45 tooth gearing with the mikuni clone jetted 30/115 and the pms screw backed out about 1.25 turns with 250ish miles.

The 'tuned' hawk is definitely substantially faster... 1st and 2nd are great around town. Just got it up to speedo indicated 70. I weigh 190 in gear.

The stock bike hasn't been above 55 speedo indicated.

Neither has been run WOT....yet...trying to respect the break in period.

Old 04-02-2016, 08:04 PM   #13

just for comparison when I was running dirt wheels on my roketa I ran 17/40 and got to 60 and it ran out of steam...that's a 200cc though not a 230.... now with the 520 chain I run a 13/48 and hit roughly the same but pretty well wrapped out....I would love to see about a bit more speed, but I don't have the guts in the engine to get more I don't think... the 13/45 is 2.7/1, where the 17/40 was2 35....

Old 04-02-2016, 09:09 PM   #14

There was no way the bike was going to run WOT for me. I did manage to tuck down and hit 69 indicated on the speedo. It still was not at top rpm bit just ran out of power. When the stretch was long enough I was running a solid 65.