Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2016, 05:33 PM   #1

The things people leave in the road...

Well, I was finishing up a few things on a 1992 Honda Accord EX and it needed a "test drive" to make sure everything was good to go...

As I'm driving down the road... something catches my eye in the middle of the road and I need to stop to either push it off the road, or try and pack it into my tiny car to figure out what I can do with it when I get home...

Well... just my luck!!! It fit on the back seats!!! and with room to spare

I get home and get to work on my new toy... a *2008 year model (can't find any stickers on it) "Toro 22 inch push mower" with a "Seized" engine...

So I do what I also do with a "Seized Briggs Engine"... first off I make sure the Mower Bolt is torqued to spec... after that I check for leaks in the gas tank and add 1oz of my 'Super Secrete Fuel Cleaner' to a full tank of gas if no leaks are found...

Then I check the oil level, color, and condition... next I pull the spark plug, tip the mower so I can pour my 'Super Secrete Anti Engine Seizing Oil' into the spark plug hole (fill it to the brim), reinstall the spark plug... let it sit for 15 minutes to an hour and grab some Hot Tea while you wait (this time I had Yerba Mate Tea with a 15 minute wait period)

Come back and tip the mower to get to the "Mower Blade/Bolt" to get some extra leverage to help spin the "Seized" engine...

and BOOM! It spins free, so I try and fire it up... and starts right up!!! I instantly stop it as I haven't even changed the nasty tar like oil

After draining the black oil, I filled with fresh Rotella T6 5-w40 and a splash of Neutra to help clean any sludge in the engine.

I now have another working mower! I ran it for over an hour and it didn't even burn a drop of oil ?!? Only thing it needs... a new air filter and the spark plug is working, but it's a cheapo Champion RJ19 Copper... so it will also get changed...

Total cost for my "New Mower"... 30 cents worth of Fuel Cleaner and Engine 'Antiseize'... $2.75 for an oil change... and maybe $10 for a new air filter and spark plug... was under $15 to turn "Someone's trash into my working treasure"

Why someone would toss a "perfectly good" mower on the roadway because they thought the engine is seized is beyond me... I have seen these little Briggs engines abused/overheated/seized beyond belief... let them cool down and they will start right back up if you know what to do

* Found a lonely sticker with all the info I needed, 2008 year model "Made in Mexico"

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Last edited by Azhule; 09-10-2016 at 06:44 PM.

Old 09-10-2016, 06:20 PM   #2

Good job. I like fixing other peoples broke stuff.

/

Old 09-10-2016, 06:29 PM   #3

I'm just glad I found it... I can't even think about who was stupid and a-holish enough to do that...

I mean come on...

Seriously!!! ... who leaves a big ace $370+ 22in Toro Personal Pace mower ON the roadway... with a Push Mower just sitting in the road where people drive 65 to 75 (in a posted 55) all day and night it could have been a really bad day/night for someone that lives near me...

I'm stoked tho, my ol 260,000 mile Honda is working again, and I got a working mower to boot

Will be back sometime with a pic

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 09-10-2016, 06:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhule View Post
I'm just glad I found it... I can't even think about who was stupid and a-holish enough to do that...

I mean come on...

Seriously!!! ... who leaves a big ace $370+ 22in Toro Personal Pace mower ON the roadway... with a Push Mower just sitting in the road where people drive 65 to 75 (in a posted 55) all day and night it could have been a really bad day/night for someone that lives near me...

I'm stoked tho, my ol 260,000 mile Honda is working again, and I got a working mower to boot

Will be back sometime with a pic
The same holes who litter, drop tires , and throw old appliances off bridges and culverts. It pays to recycle
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 09-10-2016, 07:15 PM   #5

2008 Year Model!!!

Still needs cleaned up a bit to look like it runs (excellent!!!). My guess is someone left it outside a few nights... it rained... the Toro wouldn't turn over with the pull cord... and they ditched it wherever was convenient... and middle of no where CO with zero car traffic seems like a good place to ditch anything really...

But "good news everyone"!

I found a lonely sticker on the mower after looking at the Toro website (thank you Toro for having 80 spots for the sticker to go)

The mower is a "2008 Toro Made in Mexico, 22in Blade, Rear Wheel Drive Personal Pace Mower" retail was/is $379 - $419 + tax for these things depending on accessories

Found out they sell a 3 pack of OE Briggs Air filters for $11 shipped and Advance Auto usually has the "EZ Start Iridium Spark Plugs" for under $4 out the door, or I can get an NGK or Denso Copper for under $2

Total cost of my "new" 2008 Toro :

Not so "Seized Piston" - ~ 30 cents for 1oz of my mix to fix that
Fuel System Cleaner - ~ 17 cents for 1oz of my other mix
Oil Change - ~$2.60 for 20oz of Rotella T6 5w-40 (just under $16.60 for a gallon last subscribe and save)
Air Filter - $11 for 3 OE Briggs & Stratton Air Filters
Spark Plug - $4
--------------
$18.07

What a great day
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN5257.jpg (99.0 KB, 70 views)

Old 09-10-2016, 09:43 PM   #6

Any chance it had fallen out of someone's truck ?sometimes the scrappers have their trucks piled real high and stuff does fall .

Old 09-10-2016, 10:02 PM   #7

It's too 'clean', it would have had a lot more damage to the wheels and body if it fell out of the vehicle while moving... no "sliding on the road" damage to be found anywhere (I just got done cleaning and servicing the entire mower, no damage anywhere) even tho it was found in the middle of my lane... someone put it there and drove off

Oh well, I now have another excellent mower to use if needed

Old 09-10-2016, 10:11 PM   #8

Did you sharpen up the blade?

/

Old 09-10-2016, 10:34 PM   #9

All i ever find is nails/screws & lots of other sharp things
i have these round black things on each corner of my car to pick
them up..saves stoping and getting out....

77 Montesa Cota 348 MRR "Malcom Rathnell Replica"...

Current resto projects..
81 Honda CT110...
80 Kawasaki KL250A1...

11 Husaburg TE125 enduro... "sold" along with another 31...
Lifan 125 Pitbike.. "stolen" ...

KIWI BIKER FORUM...... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/content.php

All the best offroad rides in NZ...
http://www.remotemoto.com/

E-mail... xtpete1@gmail.com

Old 09-11-2016, 12:54 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjuster View Post
Did you sharpen up the blade?

/
I didn't, just torqued the bolt to 60ft lbs (the bolt was barely over 30 ) got the mower running in under 15 or so minutes of soak time, changed the oil, then walked around and "mowed" for an hour... checked the oil level... cleaned it up and serviced the entire mower... and now I was thinking of getting a new blade for $14 or so and be done with the project.

After a new spark plug, air filter, fresh engine oil, greased chassis, and a new name brand blade torqued to spec, I will sleep like a baby at night

Planning a trip to FOCO tomorrow to pic up a spark plug and other automotive crap... too bad I haven't received the Chain Rollers yet... so I have to drive in a cage and not ride a sweeeeeet China Bike

Old 09-11-2016, 12:35 PM   #11

A lot of the time , it's the self propelled feature that gives up. You haven't mentioned it. So 100% huh?

Looks better than the bashan when you got it
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 09-11-2016, 02:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBike View Post
A lot of the time , it's the self propelled feature that gives up. You haven't mentioned it. So 100% huh?

Looks better than the bashan when you got it
Self propels great

Has near perfect compression and starts with an ever so light pull (and "catches/starts" in under half a pull with the new spark plug/air filter installed)...

Only thing I need to do is fix the "Low RPMs", the spring isn't holding enough pressure anymore and the RPMs are about 500 - 800 too low , that is another $2 or so to 100% fix my "new mower"

The "Low RPMs" doesn't really matter until you come across a huge patch of weeds/grass (over 2.5 feet tall patches)... the engine slowly bogs and dies... a new spring and adjusting the RPMs to the proper number will fix that problem... I know... I tried going over a patch of weeds/grass with the spring compressed and RPMs screaming... mulched everything without bogging at all

Old 09-11-2016, 08:26 PM   #13

So you are saying there are no more excuses to cutting the grass. Did you fully think this thing through?

Old 09-11-2016, 09:24 PM   #14

We have a Husky riding mower and 2 Front Drive 5.5hp 'Briggs' walk behind mowers around here already... my compacted lower spine still gives me plenty of excuses the days I don't get yard work done around here

I was thinking I might sell one of the Front Drive push mowers and make some $$

Old 09-12-2016, 05:11 PM   #15

Figured the price for a spring was too much (they want over $7 for that damn spring!!!)... so I fixed it the China Bike and Kawasaki KLR way...

If a Twisty Tie, Zip Tie, or Duck Tape can't fix it... you probably don't need that overly expensive part anyway

After a few twists to take up some slack in the spring, it now has the Perfect RPMs and mulches everything in sight without a bog

You can see how well the previous owner took care of things with the looks of the Air Filter and Spark Plug... oh well, a new one of each and an ounce of Penray Total Fuel System Cleaner in the gas helped a massive amount
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN5265.jpg (58.9 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5261.jpg (91.2 KB, 34 views)