Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2007, 09:26 AM   #1

Smell of Gasoline In My garage? Should I be concerned?

Does any one else have a problem with their bikes smelling like gasoline when stored in an enclosed area?

My bike sits for 3 or 4 days at a time and It seems like it smells like it is leaking, but I have checked the bike over and I can not find any sign of a leak.

Should I be concerned about the odor?

I have stored ATV's in my garage before and never had the odor problem...

Any Ideas?

Steven

Old 10-10-2007, 09:35 AM   #2

I would be concerned. I don't know what to tell you, I'm too new. For myself, I'd lay out some paper towel to find out where it's coming from. Try toweling under the petcock, the top of the cylinder, and under the carb drain. I don't know what else to try? The car and atv too? Your bike should smell like locktite not gas.

Old 10-10-2007, 09:43 AM   #3

No car in the garage, just the Dual sport and an atv at one time, (Ive since sold the ATV)...

My co-worker thinks it might be the Vent/gas cap on the tank, also He told me to check the Gas line.

Old 10-10-2007, 10:02 AM   #4

Check fuel tap (petcock)... pull fuel line and make certain fuel isn't leaking when tap is in off position. Let an ounce or two of fuel flow into a container, then turn tap to off position. If you see a drop forming at outlet, no matter how slow, this is enough leakage to cause a strong gas smell. (Can contaminate crankcase oil as well... )

Old 10-10-2007, 10:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_R
Check fuel tap (petcock)... pull fuel line and make certain fuel isn't leaking when tap is in off position. Let an ounce or two of fuel flow into a container, then turn tap to off position. If you see a drop forming at outlet, no matter how slow, this is enough leakage to cause a strong gas smell. (Can contaminate crankcase oil as well... )
Shouldn't matter if the petcock is seaping by. The carb float will only let in so much fuel. My bike sat for 6 weeks after my accident with the petcock in the open position (actually it's never been in the closed position) and didn't smell at all in a closed shop with a full tank of gas. Check the fuel line, and tank for leaks. If none are present, it might be coming out the cap vent. If it's not spilling out when you ride, I'd run it!

Current Chinabikes: 2023 Titan DLX & 2022 Lifan KP Mini w/ 210cc BRT kit, 22 RWHP!

Old 10-10-2007, 11:40 AM   #6

Quote:
Shouldn't matter if the petcock is seaping by. The carb float will only let in so much fuel
I agree, I never shut off my fuel except when transporting. No contaminated crankcases yet.

"The beatings will continue until moral improves"

Old 10-10-2007, 12:01 PM   #7

I had this problem with my Ural. For years I would just pull my bike in the garage and leave it, then one day it started smelling like gasoline. It ended up being gas would leak (drip) out of the carb if the petcock was not closed. It never happend the first 5 years or so I had it, but now I keep the petcock closed and the problem is resolved.

FWIW
2005 TANK Trail 200
2009 Lifan LY110GY-3 (2)

Old 10-10-2007, 12:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhyak
I had this problem with my Ural. For years I would just pull my bike in the garage and leave it, then one day it started smelling like gasoline. It ended up being gas would leak (drip) out of the carb if the petcock was not closed. It never happend the first 5 years or so I had it, but now I keep the petcock closed and the problem is resolved.

FWIW
If it's leaking through the carb just sitting there, you got a bad float and/or needle valve. Time for a carb rebuild! The fuel shut off is only needed if removing the carb to service, or to transport the vehicle so bumps in the road don't make the float bounce and let in too much fuel, which COULD spill into the cylinder and crankcase and cause hydro-lock, contaminated oil, etc.

Current Chinabikes: 2023 Titan DLX & 2022 Lifan KP Mini w/ 210cc BRT kit, 22 RWHP!

Old 10-10-2007, 01:12 PM   #9

I'll give the gas tank a good check tonight. Also I do leave the Petcock on so I will turn it off and see if I notice a difference over the next few days....

I will let ya'll know how it goes.

Old 10-10-2007, 04:17 PM   #10

fuel smellage???

Like everyone else here i never shut my petcocks off unless there was a known leakage problem, I would usually try to rectify that at the source, Aka, the petcock, fuel lines, float needle valves. I have seen a few rare cases where indeed the crankcase oil did get contaminated, thus causing a cylinder to scar up due to a lack of lubrication. Like they say focus your search around the petcock and carb. try turning the fuel off for a night or 2 and see if there is a difference in smell or oder.

good luck

Old 10-10-2007, 05:40 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by red2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhyak

FWIW
If it's leaking through the carb just sitting there, you got a bad float and/or needle valve. Time for a carb rebuild! The fuel shut off is only needed if removing the carb to service, or to transport the vehicle so bumps in the road don't make the float bounce and let in too much fuel, which COULD spill into the cylinder and crankcase and cause hydro-lock, contaminated oil, etc.
Yea, something occurred with that thing to start leaking, but it has been over 3 years since I started closing the petcock and the bike still runs like a champ so I'm not going to mess with a good thing. Thanks for the info though.
2005 TANK Trail 200
2009 Lifan LY110GY-3 (2)

Old 10-10-2007, 07:09 PM   #12

Yeah, if it's runnin', I wouldn't mess with it either!

Old 10-10-2007, 07:19 PM   #13

All it takes is a tiny fiber, smaller than a hair to get stuck in the needle valve to make it leak. It'll run just fine because while running the engine uses fuel much faster than the fuel can flow through a not quite sealed valve. Often all that is needed to fix the problem is to remove the needle and blow out the seat area and fuel line with compressed air.

Q

Old 10-10-2007, 10:13 PM   #14

ok, I found a leak. After I had taken off the plastic and the seat, I finally found an inline filter someone must have put on the bike right behind/below the seat/tank area.

I bought the bike off graigslist last month, so there's no telling when the filter was put on. One of the clamps was not tighten on the hose and it was dripping ever so slightly. I guess the gas was landing on the motor or frame because there was No signs of leaks on the concrete below the bike....

Now that I have the plastic off, I am going to run thru all of the bolts and loctite them down.

Thanks for all the info.

PS
Petcock is still turned on.

Old 10-11-2007, 09:41 AM   #15

My tank started leaking. Also I have noticed a slight bit of gas at the cap around the key hole.

I put a filter on mine and I never turn the gas off either. It is stored in an open car port so the fumes never built up.

Allen