Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2007, 09:25 PM   #1

Battery Discharging

Hey gang its been awhile.. Have had a busy summer.
Anyways I hadn't ridden the bike in a couple weeks and hadn't had on the charger either. I put it on the charger for about six hours before my first ride and the bike started and ran fine. The next day the battery was dead. Kick started the bike and rode for a couple hours then the battery seemed to charge (electric start worked when it hadn't earlier)

a week went by I charged the bike all day ( 7 hours) and it started just fine.( test start) two days later and the battery's dead again. Note this is a new battery from my previous battery issues and is only 10 months old.

Ideas?
Im going to charge it tomorrow off the bike then let it sit for two days off the bike before putting it back in and starting the bike.

Old 10-13-2007, 09:53 PM   #2

Put a volt meter on the battery and see what the voltage is when it's just setting. Then check the voltage with the engine running at 4K RPM. Then disconnect the negative lead from the battery and put an ammeter between the negative battery post and the negative battery cable and see if there is any draw with everything off.

Q

Old 11-01-2007, 07:46 PM   #3

Been throught two batteries in two months.

I have a similar problem but my battery dies mid ride.

Been through two batteries in two months. Battery works fine and charges strong. Then the battery just dies and diagnosis with a dead cell.

Could this be vibration OR shock (been riding some pretty harsh off road trails)?

Stumped.

Rick