Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2017, 07:00 PM   #1

New to Chinese bikes, trying to figure out what I have.

Hello, my name is John. I'm new to Chinese bike ownership, but not new to motorcycles, I have experience as a big four Japanese mechanic, primarily Honda, but also experience with Harley, Triumph, Aprilia, and Moto Guzzi bikes.

I'm going to be living overseas as a mechanic for a missions organization in Africa, so I figured that it'd be good to familiarize myself with Chinese bikes, as in the country I'll be in, they make up the lion's share of all motorcycles, which make up the majority of all vehicles.

The motorcycle that I picked up is a dirt bike, but it has several interesting features that make me wonder what exactly the model is. It has 19" front and 16" rear wheels, geared 15/54, discs front and rear, mono shock suspension (but with a cotter pin (!) holding the rear shock on), USD forks, and a ZS167FML motor, but it's not the Yamaha copy, it's definitely a CG clone (I'm wondering if Zongshen's pushrod '167' is actually a 163?). It also has nearly GP shift, except that Neutral is at the top, and 1-5 are down from there. It also has a sprung, two pulley drivechain tensioner, and there is no ignition key.

It also has some of the poorest welds that I've ever seen, and though it is a dirt bike, the motor is a stressed member; I'm thinking about scrapping the chassis and putting the motor into an early XR200 chassis, possibly with a front end swap. The chassis is also extremely heavy for the size, and everything, including the rims, are steel. It is all black, with nary a decal in sight, and the vin starts with LRY... Any help would be appreciated! Also, it doesn't have spark, but I'm pretty sure that I can handle that problem!

Last edited by franque; 11-03-2017 at 07:31 PM. Reason: I forgot to add a thing or two.

Old 11-03-2017, 08:05 PM   #2

Greetings!

Welcome to the forum! Well, I can you your motorcycle is probably not a Hawk. The USD forks, disc brakes at both ends, the shift pattern and wheel size help, but pictures are the best! Steel wheels and bad welds are standard equipment on most Chinese motorcycles. Hopefully some of the other members will have better ideas.

Have a great weekend!
-2016 Hawk 250 - Kitty Hawk - eBay exhaust, Mikuni carb(120 main/30 Pilot), airbox mod with K&N filter, digital cluster, total LEDs, 17/45 sprockets, RK chain, Shinko 244 tires, trunk, aftermarket levers, burrito tube, skid plate, Sargent Cycle Seat...
-2003 HD Sportster 100th Anniversary
-1999 Buell X-1 Lightning - Race kit, Buell Seat

Old 11-03-2017, 08:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbo7106 View Post
Welcome to the forum! Well, I can you your motorcycle is probably not a Hawk. The USD forks, disc brakes at both ends, the shift pattern and wheel size help, but pictures are the best! Steel wheels and bad welds are standard equipment on most Chinese motorcycles. Hopefully some of the other members will have better ideas.

Have a great weekend!
How exactly do I post pictures? I have some pictures that I was sent of it assembled, but I promptly took it apart. It looks like a twin spar chassis (I guess that it technically is), but it is made from very thin steel tubing, that was clearly not bent in a mandrel, it looks super rough. It also is completely straight, with nothing bent or broken, a rarity for a 12-year-old dirt bike (I forgot to add that it's a 2005)!

Old 11-03-2017, 09:50 PM   #4

LRY = http://www.gymotor.com/

Old 11-03-2017, 11:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by franque View Post
How exactly do I post pictures? I have some pictures that I was sent of it assembled, but I promptly took it apart. It looks like a twin spar chassis (I guess that it technically is), but it is made from very thin steel tubing, that was clearly not bent in a mandrel, it looks super rough. It also is completely straight, with nothing bent or broken, a rarity for a 12-year-old dirt bike (I forgot to add that it's a 2005)!
make an account over at imugr and add the photos there. Then you will be able to use the link to the photo and insert it here by clicking the picture button in the toolbar below the font options, etc.
2002 Yamaha R6 *sold*
Vader 125cc *sold after owning for many years*
1997 Jeep Wrangler *sold due to frame rot*

Old 11-04-2017, 06:58 PM   #6

Here is what I've got!

Last edited by franque; 11-05-2017 at 12:03 AM.

Old 11-04-2017, 07:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsumd View Post
make an account over at imugr and add the photos there. Then you will be able to use the link to the photo and insert it here by clicking the picture button in the toolbar below the font options, etc.
Hmm... Pictures don't seem to be working. Any idea why?

Old 11-04-2017, 07:16 PM   #8

After you upload the pics click on them individually. You will see the "direct link" use that link. Make sure to click medium or large thumbnail at the bottom first or the pics will be huge here
2002 Yamaha R6 *sold*
Vader 125cc *sold after owning for many years*
1997 Jeep Wrangler *sold due to frame rot*

Old 11-05-2017, 12:03 AM   #9

Fixed it! Thanks for the help!

Old 11-05-2017, 01:09 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by franque View Post
wondering if Zongshen's pushrod '167' is actually a 163?). It also has nearly GP shift...
Compares it by ur self:
63.5 https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=524001789602 | 67: https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=524015336715
At least it's NOT that suicidal rotary http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=875 (which is NOT that hard to stop it's mechanism. Principle as those 4-speed All-down: https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=24496864024 Rotary: https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=16628058563 ie. grind away those unnecessary trash !!!)

Old 11-05-2017, 11:26 AM   #11

It would appear that it is the 63,5 mm CG200, but the displacement on the cylinder is ground off (I noticed that there are reinforcing ribs on the cylinder's fins).

Is it possible to split the cases and swap out the shift drum/shift cam for a more standardized shift pattern? I could always work out some sort of linkage to flip the pattern, à la sportbike, but this might be the less labor-intensive route.

Old 11-05-2017, 11:28 AM   #12

It might be the 'Hummer' that was popular for a few container-loads back in the mid 00's? As far as these bikes being crappy--yes, that was the case back then. Now? They finally figured out to add a little bit more quality! I have read a few threads on Horizonsunlimited (international forum discussing round the world or long distance motorcycle traveling) from people who actually were 'over-biked' in Africa. One guy mentioned that he was in Morrocco on some bad dirt roads on his BMW something or another, and locals were passing him left and right on their cheap Chinese bikes...these bikes, besides being low cost, have utility due to their size, for crap roads found in many countries' rural areas.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 11-07-2017, 11:57 AM   #13

Looks like a Hummer to me; I bought one several years ago and ended up keeping the motor and selling off everything else. Mine was a 230cc CG with the conventional shift pattern.

As far as I can tell, the transmission layout and bearing sizes are nearly identical to an XR200. I suspect that an XR200 six speed would drop right in. I intend to try that once life slows down a bit.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-07-2017, 01:43 PM   #14

If you've got knowledge of the bearing sizes for the cg230, I have access to IN Honda, and I could get you bearing specs for the case of an XR200.

Old 11-08-2017, 11:09 AM   #15

IN Honda sounds interesting. If I had the time, I'd just compare an old CG case with an XR200 case; it's time that I'm short of.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer