Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2018, 11:54 AM   #1

PCV - which type needed for Hawk?

From what I've read, it seems it's recommended to install a PCV on that hose coming out of the crankcase so that it can expunge air, but not suck air back in. I've checked Amazon and some auto parts store websites...what works best with the Hawk? Seems many PCV's are designed to thread into something and not for connecting a 1/4" hose on both ends. If someone could provide a link to what would work, that would be greatly appreciated!

Would something like this work?

https://www.amazon.com/Omix-Ada-1740...ords=PCV+Valve
1. Mikuni VM26 Carburetor w/#115 main jet
2. 17T/45T JT sprockets
3. JT 428 X-ring chain
4. Air box mod
5. Hawk Digital Cluster
6. Aftermarket IMS shift lever
7. Performance Aftermarket Exhaust
8. 295mm Nitrogen Gas Monoshock, 20W oil front forks

Old 08-03-2018, 02:16 PM   #2

I just bought one for mine day before yesterday at Autozone. Just pull your breather hose and take it with you. I found they had an assortment of about 20 different pcv valves to choose from. Some bigger,some smaller. Some inline, some screw in, 90 degree, in-line etc.

Just take your hose to a big chain auto store and start matching up. Buy a few hose clamps to splice it in there

Old 08-03-2018, 03:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWNY View Post
From what I've read, it seems it's recommended to install a PCV on that hose coming out of the crankcase so that it can expunge air, but not suck air back in. I've checked Amazon and some auto parts store websites...what works best with the Hawk? Seems many PCV's are designed to thread into something and not for connecting a 1/4" hose on both ends. If someone could provide a link to what would work, that would be greatly appreciated!

Would something like this work?

https://www.amazon.com/Omix-Ada-1740...ords=PCV+Valve
No. That is the type that goes in the valve cover. You want the inline type. 1/4 or 3/8 hose size.,,ARH

Old 08-04-2018, 01:39 PM   #4

If yer gonna spit oil, spit it on the chain!

Thanks for the tips guys. I bought a PCV valve (Durazone brand) from the auto parts store and fit the valve onto the stock breather tube coming out of the engine case, then bought a foot of 5/16" fuel hose to connect to the smaller outlet of the valve down to the chain. I zip tied everything to the frame and aligned the output hose right over the chain. To seal off the airbox, I plugged the crankcase inlet with silicone. Free chain oil if the crank decides to spit some oil (which it hasn't done yet). I figured it was better to just vent the crankcase out into the open instead of into the airbox where it could foul it up. Here are photos...

Stock hose from the crankcase to the PCV valve...

In-line PCV valve...

Output hose right over chain where it can lube it if the crank burps out any oil...

2. 17T/45T JT sprockets
3. JT 428 X-ring chain
4. Air box mod
5. Hawk Digital Cluster

Last edited by ChrisWNY; 08-04-2018 at 03:17 PM.

Old 08-04-2018, 04:35 PM   #5

Exactly how I did it a year ago......and it has worked rather well.

Old 08-04-2018, 05:28 PM   #6

Just curious here, is there a reason that we don't want to run the hose back to the carb inlet? I did that on my Rhino when I switched to the pod filter as the stock filter had a barb on it for this purpose. My grandson's 125 ATV came stock with a pod filter and is set up this way also.
2016 Tao Tao 125D

Old 08-04-2018, 08:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by david3921 View Post
Just curious here, is there a reason that we don't want to run the hose back to the carb inlet? I did that on my Rhino when I switched to the pod filter as the stock filter had a barb on it for this purpose. My grandson's 125 ATV came stock with a pod filter and is set up this way also.
No, you can run it anywhere you choose....ARH

Old 08-04-2018, 09:25 PM   #8

If you are OCD about EPA/emissions, go ahead and route it back to the intake to complete the circle of life

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 08-04-2018, 10:10 PM   #9

Well, i voted for routing all oil burping hoses to exit over MegaDans shoe, but I got
reprimanded .just sayin'. : )
2020 Orion RXB250L

Last edited by RedCrowRides; 08-05-2018 at 09:47 AM.

Old 08-06-2018, 08:42 AM   #10

Isn't fresh air best for combustion though? I would think that exhaust emissions from the crank would be somewhat less efficient than fresh air in through the airbox. Or maybe it's just negligible as most the exhaust emissions go through the pipe and out the muffler.
2. 17T/45T JT sprockets
3. JT 428 X-ring chain
4. Air box mod
5. Hawk Digital Cluster

Old 08-06-2018, 01:04 PM   #11

https://www.amazon.com/FV379-Positiv.../dp/B000C2ZJP2

I used this one. I used fuel hose on the skinny side under the original hose.

Old 08-06-2018, 02:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Isn't fresh air best for combustion though? I would think that exhaust emissions from the crank would be somewhat less efficient than fresh air in through the airbox. Or maybe it's just negligible as most the exhaust emissions go through the pipe and out the muffler.
Fresh air is best (both for the engine and for our lungs), and that is one reason why the EPA likes things with a PCV installed and routed back to the intake system on gasoline fueled automobiles.

Positive side to a "closed" system:

Takes harmful vapors back into the intake and try to combust/heat them up enough to turn them into a less harmful vapor... lowering nasty emissions and the smog in cities... we get to prove Al Gore wrong, WWF gets their name back (WWE joke), polar bears get their ice to play on, hippies get to go hug more trees, unicorns and dragons exist, previously extinct animals come back to life... you get the idea

Negative side to a "closed" system:

Those harmful vapors over time can create varnish/gum/carbon/sludge build up in various places...

Real easy to fix and inexpensive if you do it yourself, you just have to do what almost every automotive dealership asks you to do on your car every 10 or 15k miles and do a "Multi step Fuel and Intake System cleaning"... it takes about 5 minutes (MAX) to clean things out with a few types of "snake oils in a can", basically a little bit from one gets poured into the gas tank, pull the air filter/intake boot from the carb/throttle body and spray a few seconds worth of the other one and yobs done

I have our PCV set up as a "closed system", the hose is routed back into the UNI Pod Filter and have had no issues (about 4k miles on the bike), but I'm that rare 1%er round here

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 08-06-2018, 06:13 PM   #13

Quote:
Yes, fresh air is best for combustion. But you can choose whether to vent the crankcase to atmosphere, drip it on the chain, use a catch can, or send it through the induction system. It is really up to you. Six of one, half dozen of the other....ARH

Old 10-09-2018, 12:05 AM   #14

Had my air hose disconnect from my air box and rain got in my engine not much so I did like 4 oil changes to flush it out. Found this thread and found out it’s getting in through my hose from airbox to Engine. so I installed a pcv valve and used black rubber sealant to repair leak. So lady at autozone let me behind counter to find a fit just wanted to share it’s for a Honda 94-06.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9C2EDEBC-A177-4BA0-90BC-7B99BA56E516.jpg (11.6 KB, 662 views)
File Type: jpg 3B505FCB-D343-48DF-A24F-F107920E2BCD.jpg (15.8 KB, 696 views)
File Type: jpg image.jpg (82.3 KB, 626 views)