Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2018, 11:00 PM   #1

Hawk USB port idea.

I was studying the electrical system on the Hawk for the best place for a USB port. I didn't find any good options with out a long harness off the battery.

Then I find this little useless parking light bulb in the stock headlight assembly
And I'll never miss it. No need for 8ft of wire, No switches, the ignition switch will cut power. I just need to power a cell in an emergency or keep my Garmin GPS going.

Anyone see a downside to this for power, it would need to support 2.1A at 12V. I'll put the multi meter on it in the morning and see what it says.
2018 Hawk P&P Decked .040 off the head. 17/43 D.I.D. 428, NGK Iridium plug, DeCat, Wrapped pipe, Custom S.S. Muffler core, Nibbi PE30 115/35, L.E.D. Lights, Digital Cluster, USB port, Cutting Bord skid plate, Oil cooler w/ custom CRF oil filter inline, 5Wt fork oil, Rear Shock, CNC Back Rack, 30mm FAT bars, Bark Busters, ProGrips, Adjustable levers, Shinko 700’s lots of Loctite!

Old 08-03-2018, 11:33 PM   #2

I installed this USB charger w/voltmeter on my Hawk a few days ago. The wires do route to the battery but it's an easy install. The charger has an on/off switch so no need to worry about it drawing power when the ignition is off. It clamped nicely between the triple tree clamps on the lower handlebar in the center so it's not in the way. Seems to work well and it charges my S9+ fairly quickly.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
1. Mikuni VM26 Carburetor w/#115 main jet
2. 17T/45T JT sprockets
3. JT 428 X-ring chain
4. Air box mod
5. Hawk Digital Cluster
6. Aftermarket IMS shift lever
7. Performance Aftermarket Exhaust
8. 295mm Nitrogen Gas Monoshock, 20W oil front forks

Old 08-04-2018, 09:57 AM   #3

I wondered what that little bulb did in the headlight assembly so i doubt you would miss it. I do not think running wires from the battery would be bad either.

Old 08-04-2018, 10:05 AM   #4

Red Hawk, I used that exact same set of wires to put a dual USB port on my Hawk. I got a cheap stick on US port from Walmart, hacked the wires off the cigarette lighter adapter and spliced them in. I can keep my cell phone charged while I'm using my GPS, and the bluetooth headset I have in my helmet plugged in and charging, too. It really worked out great. The marker light is fused and switched through the key, too. That means there's no chance of leaving the accessories on to drain the battery, or overloading the circuit.

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 - SOLD
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 08-04-2018, 10:16 AM   #5

That little running light is only needed for bikes over in the British/English territories from what I remember. Here in the USA, we just keep out headlights on...

Kirk

Old 08-05-2018, 07:55 PM   #6

You need to know that any charging port you put on your bike could have a circuit in it to prevent power surges. All the USB ports have a rectifier regulator to get the voltage down to 5 volts for the USB cable. These run 100% of the time when the bike is off and will drain a battery in as little as 12 hours for some of the really cheap ones. Some of the better ones may take a week or two.

If you want to know if your power port is hot all the time, even when nothing is plugged in and the bike is completely off, wire a small light bulb between the battery positive and the wire that sends power to the port. You can also check between the battery and the positive wire to the port with a multimeter.

I have repaired many bikes with a constantly dead batter by simply installing a fused switch and relay set up for the power port(s).