Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2019, 04:48 AM   #1

Stock Honda Grom VS. BOOM VIP (BAODI) DYNO

Greetings fellow China rydaz! I'd like to share some knowledge obtained while working at a motorcycle aftermarket performance company. I had the chance to dyno my own BOOM VIP vs a stock 2018 Honda Grom. Below are the results.

The BOOM is labeled as DUCATI KO (DUCATI KNOCKOFF) since I have a Ducati sticker on my bike.

I hope I get the chance to dyno my BOOM before I quit next month, I've done a number of cheap mods and I'm stocked to see the gainz!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tempsnip.jpg (88.4 KB, 426 views)

Old 06-12-2019, 10:56 AM   #2

Please keep us updated if you get a chance to Dyno a Boom 125 that has been modded ,I'd be interested to see what the numbers are. There is a pretty significant difference in the numbers now but that isn't surprising considering the realtive cost difference between the two, and EFI vs carbed.,especially when it is a given that the carbs on the chinaclones are not only set super lean, but generally speaking just a pretty sad carb , period. The good news is a good Mikuni kit is only 50$ and that includes carb, intake, and filter and it really makes a world of difference ,the Grom engine is also of a newer design ,although it is still " old" technology compared to most other stuff out there.
I was hoping Honda was going to release a "Super Grom " with a 150cc - 175cc engine , a 5 speed tranny and /or a 4v head back when they were hyping "New Models" in 2018 , but it turned out to be a Cub 50 in a 125 size and the Monkey 125

with the same plain Grom engine so that was out the window.
2020 Orion RXB250L

Old 06-12-2019, 11:01 AM   #3

My guess is that stock exhaust is restricting a little HP and killing all the Torque on the China Bike

Waiting with my Popcorn for any "after" tests

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 06-12-2019, 01:46 PM   #4

Agreed Az on the pipe issue , I didn't go into that in my post but a simple carb /pipe / intake/filter swap made a night and day difference on my Vader.,and swapping everything out was less than a two hour job and i spent a good part of that time drinking beer and figuring out where what tool i needed was at
2020 Orion RXB250L

Old 06-12-2019, 02:36 PM   #5

bookmarked! this is good stuff. numbers seem pretty convincing that a modded boom 125 would create an identical comparison. i would say the exhaust mod wouldnt pair the numbers as much as a mikuni carb upgrade would.

Old 06-13-2019, 06:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCrowRides View Post
Please keep us updated if you get a chance to Dyno a Boom 125 that has been modded ,I'd be interested to see what the numbers are. There is a pretty significant difference in the numbers now but that isn't surprising considering the realtive cost difference between the two, and EFI vs carbed.,especially when it is a given that the carbs on the chinaclones are not only set super lean, but generally speaking just a pretty sad carb , period. The good news is a good Mikuni kit is only 50$ and that includes carb, intake, and filter and it really makes a world of difference ,the Grom engine is also of a newer design ,although it is still " old" technology compared to most other stuff out there.
I was hoping Honda was going to release a "Super Grom " with a 150cc - 175cc engine , a 5 speed tranny and /or a 4v head back when they were hyping "New Models" in 2018 , but it turned out to be a Cub 50 in a 125 size and the Monkey 125

with the same plain Grom engine so that was out the window.
I'll try my best to get it on the dyno one more time before I leave, I'll be testing some jets for my mikuni knock off carb this weekend, just finished my custom exhaust on it, I'm also planning on putting a 14t front sprocket to make it a wheelie machine!

Old 06-13-2019, 06:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhule View Post
My guess is that stock exhaust is restricting a little HP and killing all the Torque on the China Bike

Waiting with my Popcorn for any "after" tests
That is true, I initially chopped off some of the stock exhaust header and had a tiny exhaust pipe on it, thing popped like bombs but I got a noticeable power gain off it. I have a custom exhaust I made on it, with louver baffles, a lot less backfire and decent power gains, I can power wheelie with that and the mikuni carb!

Old 06-13-2019, 07:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by imapdog View Post
bookmarked! this is good stuff. numbers seem pretty convincing that a modded boom 125 would create an identical comparison. i would say the exhaust mod wouldnt pair the numbers as much as a mikuni carb upgrade would.
As of right now I have both those mods on my build. Going to attempt to tune my carb this weekend with a jet kit I got coming in.

Old 06-14-2019, 10:41 AM   #9

I pretty much use mine primarily for stunting ,and these mods helped me a lot on low end "grunt"for getting the front end up. I run with a lot of "real" Groms and I don't have any trouble keeping up with them that have comparable mods , but our goal isn't top end but rather torque and smooth throttle response.
Name:  today 010.jpg
Views: 1012
Size:  102.2 KB

Just realized thats an old pic ,does not have my carb /filter / intake pictured . I'llhave to take an updated one , but you get the idea lol
2020 Orion RXB250L

Old 06-18-2019, 03:57 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCrowRides View Post
I pretty much use mine primarily for stunting ,and these mods helped me a lot on low end "grunt"for getting the front end up. I run with a lot of "real" Groms and I don't have any trouble keeping up with them that have comparable mods , but our goal isn't top end but rather torque and smooth throttle response.
Attachment 17297

Just realized thats an old pic ,does not have my carb /filter / intake pictured . I'llhave to take an updated one , but you get the idea lol
Sweet ride! I agree with you, these bikes aren't meant for high end power. They're much more fun if modded for greater low end power performance.

I ride with the OC gooniez and various grom squads all over LA, IE and Orange County here in Southern CA and I keep up with them no problem, at a quarter of the price

I just went down 1 tooth in the front sprocket, coupled with a mikuni and exhaust, its a power wheelie machine, also just threw on some fresh Maxxis knobbies, I like riding thru random off road terrain in the city and I got a good deal on em so why not.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6569.jpg (99.8 KB, 386 views)