Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2019, 11:36 AM   #1

Grom Clone and Variants Bike Guide

I. Introduction

This guide is to cover the Honda Grom clones and the SSR Razkull clones. The clone bikes are meant to look exactly like the Honda Grom and the SSR Razkull. At this time, there are Kawasaki Z125pro clones on the market, but I have not seen them for sale in the U.S.

There's too many threads on:

What can I do with my Grom clone? What modifications will fit? What do I search for? Etc. Etc.

This will not include bikes like the Lifan KP Mini, Benelli TNT125/135, and Kymco Spade as those do not use a similar style engine. This will also not cover the Kawasaki z125, because it's not a clone. The z125 is a competitor to the Honda Grom. This guide also does not cover the Motrac bikes as they have fuel injection and (I believe) use a 3 bolt engine design that is similar to that of the Honda Grom.

There have been a lot of people on Facebook groups that think that being a competitor makes it a clone.
Being a competitor to the Grom does not make it a clone. A clone is NOT a competitor.

First the definition of "clone" from Merriam-Webster dictionary.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/clone

Looking at the synonyms, there's "duplicate" and "copy".

Next, the Toyota Corolla is not a clone of the Honda Civic. The Chevy Cruze is not a clone of the Honda Civic. The Chevy Silverado is not a clone of the Ford F-150. These are all competitors and not clones.

A fake Rolex watch is a clone of a real Rolex. You would not consider the fake Rolex to be a competitor to the real one.

Another reason this guide will not cover the Lifan KP Mini, Benelli TNT125/135, and Kymco Spade is because they use a different engine than the SSR Razkull clones and Honda Grom clones. The SSR Razkull clones and the Honda Grom clones use a horizontal pit bike engine (CRF50 mouting specs) versus the vertical engine found in the Lifan KP Mini, Benelli TNT125/135, and Kymco Spade.

This guide is something that I've wanted to write for a while. I've been meaning to post this on my personal blog but figured this may be a better chance to do it since I don't have to get things set up by posting a thread here. I'll update it to my blog once I get that up and going.

II. The Bikes.

There are Grom clones and variants that appear different, but are similar enough to be part of this guide.

The main Grom clones are:

1. Boom Vader 1st Gen (Grom 1st gen clone).
2. Boom Vader 2nd Gen (Grom 2nd gen clone).
3. Icebear Fuerza (Grom 1st gen clone with stretched swingarm and lowered).
4. Taotao Hellcat (Grom 1st gen clone)

The main SSR Razkull clones are:

1. Boom lil duc (SSR Razkull clone)
2. Icebear lil monster (SSR Razkull clone)

The Boom bikes will register as a Jiangsu Baodiao Locomotive (make) and the model will be BD125-XX, depending on which Boom you buy. The US branch/company is Boom International.

The Icebear will register as a Huzhou Daixi Zhenhua Industry & Trade Co. Ltd. (make) and the model will be PMZ125-XX, depending on which model you have.

The Taotao Hellcat will register as a Taotao (make - needs to be checked).

Many places sell these bikes. A lot of places will also rename the bikes. For instance, the Venom Motorsports x20 is a Boom Vader 2nd Gen. When you go to register it, you'll still register it as a Baidiao BD125-(number for 2nd gen).

Another example is the Venom Motorsports x19R. This is the Icebear Fuerza which will register as a Daix PMZ125-1.

III. Differences between the bikes

The Grom is made by Honda and what the clones and the variants (SSR Razkull) are based on.

1. The Grom and the SSR Razkull use a 3 bolt engine mount design.
2. The Grom is fuel injected. The SSR Razkull and clones use a carburetor.
3. The Grom and SSR Razkull have exhaust ports pointed straight down. This means the SSR Razkull can use the same exhaust the Grom uses.
4. The clones use a 2 bolt engine mount pitbike engine that is based on the Honda crf50 engine design.

You can not use a Grom exhaust without modifications.

IV. What parts swap and what parts do NOT?

The Grom clones can use the Grom plastics. The SSR Razkull clones can use the SSR plastics.

Depending on Grom clone, you may need the inside plastic black pieces to get the Grom colored plastic pieces to fit. This includes the plastic under the seat which holds the battery and such.

People have gone from the Grom OG clone to the Grom SF clone. You will need to buy ALL the plastics to be able to do so.

Handlebars, footpegs, etc. will all swap between the two.

If you have an Icebear Fuerza and you want to use the Grom headlight, you'll need to pick up a Grom headlight bracket (the part that goes between the triple tree where the headlight bolts onto.

Differences:

No ECU chip on the Grom Clones. Unlike the Grom, there's no reflash or tune. There's no Aracer standalone. To tune the Grom Clones, you gotta play with the jet sizing in the carb.

No O2 sensor. Because the grom clones are carbed, there's no O2 sensor needed.

The fork (front suspension) are different. Unless someone has information otherwise, the Ohlins, Racing Bros, etc kits do not fit the Grom clone forks. It also appears that the Grom fork preload mod does not work either.

Not sure if this is the case for all of the Grom clones, but some have different steering stem bearings. Grom ones do not fit.

Electronics are different. The speedometer on the Grom Clones are driven off the front wheels speed. On the Grom it's driven off transmission speed. This is why on the Groms swapping front sprockets throw off the speedometer. On the Grom Clones, this is not an issue.

Engine parts will not match. Grom Clones use a pit bike engine (see previous section above). If parts are needed, look for Pit Bike engine parts.

V. Engine Performance Parts for the 125cc

These are the parts that you can use to get better performance out of the stock 125cc engine.

1. Mikuni VM22 carburetor
2. Honda Dax exhaust
3. Sprocket changes
4. Bore Kit

It is best to use a genuine Mikuni carb as that is the part that you have to tune to optimize the engine. This way you'll be able to use the genuine jets. You also don't have to worry as much about manufacturing defects and stuff like that.

The Grom/Razkull clones use pit bike engines and should have pit bike gearing. As such, going to a 17T front sprocket on these is not terrible. If you were on a Grom where the gearing is different, a 17T is too big for the front.

Bore kit... you'll need to figure out the bore and stroke of the engine that is in your Grom/Razkull clone and buy one that will work. Other parameters to check for is the wrist pin size. However, with the zs190cc on the market, owners should really consider this instead of a bore kit.

VI. ZS190 Engine Swaps

The best "bang for the buck" is the ZS190cc engine made by Zongshen. This engine is made in the same factory as the Daytona Anima engine. If you search in the ZS190 Swap Shop facebook group, you'll see that people have posted photos of the ZS190 internals where it appears that the Daytona logo has been ground off.

Unlike other swaps, you'll get a 5 speed transmission as well. Being that the ZS190 is the same design as the Daytona Anima engine, the 4V head and the 212cc bore kit will also fit as well.

If you join the ZS190 Swap Page, there is a guy selling the EFI kit that he has built himself that will go with the bike. At the time I'm writing this article, he has clocked in at 101.49 mph. That is with a zs190 engine with the 212cc bore kit and the 4V head while using a pwk36 carb.

Keep in mind that you'll see other companies selling a 190cc with 5-speed and electric start. These are the ZS190cc engines. Think to how the market works. Generally companies in the US will slap their logo/brand/etc. on a product that is produced in China. This is the case here. There are several companies, whom I am guessing, have contracted with Zong Shen to have their logo put on the clutch covers when they're delivered.

VII. Other Engine Swaps

The big question is why? The ZS190 can be purchased for $640 with carb and oil cooler. Any other engine like a 140cc would be cheaper but you would still have a 4 speed transmission and you wouldn't have awesome parts like a 4v head and bore kits available.

But... if you really want to swap something that is not a ZS190... then you'll need to look for a pitbike engine that has the Honda CRF50 engine mounting design. General statement (not always 100% true) is that you'll be looking for a horizontal pitbike engine.

References/Resources/Where to Buy

1. ZS190 Swap Shop (FB group)
2. Clone Army (FB group)
3. Pitster Pro
4. TBoltusa
5. Motorkit
6. Speedometer wiring diagram - http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=21374

Last edited by wlfpck; 01-07-2022 at 11:16 AM.

Old 07-09-2019, 11:36 AM   #2

Places to buy your bike

The way purchasing a Grom Clone or a SSR Razkull Clone works is that the Chinese manufacturing companies will provide motorcycles to the various dealerships/distributors that carry them. As stated in the original post, the dealerships/distributors may put their own branding on or call the bike something else. There may even be an importer that is between the dealership/distributors and the Chinese manufacturers.

These bikes are not "mainstream" like the Honda Grom. Before anyone gets upset, what I mean by this is that with a Honda Grom, you have the benefit of a large dealership network. You can walk into a dealership and buy parts. You can bring the bike in for service. Etc. Etc. Same with the SSR Razkull as they have several dealerships around the U.S.

Now with these Grom clones, the customer service of the dealership you buy it from is critical. Things like having the bike show up to your door in functioning shape. Being able to get parts if you need them. Answering questions. Providing the MCO and Bill of Sale. Etc. Etc.

Below is a list of dealerships that are mentioned a with high frequency. If people have successful purchases from other dealerships, please let me know and I can add them to the list.

1. Kronik Racing
2. Cajun Maddogs
3. Venom Motorsports

What to do now that you have your motorcycle...

Congrats on getting the motorcycle. Now we go through the process of what you'll need to do.

1. Open the package/crate.

2. Assemble the bike.

3. CHECK all bolts on the bike and make sure that everything is tightened down. These bikes are mostly assembled in China. Keep in mind that these motorcycles are sold cheap. While these may be solid bikes, it's good to check the bolts and make sure that they are nice and tight.

4. Change the bolts for the engine mount. These bolts are known to shear off. You will want to get to M8x1.25 class 10.9 or class 12.9 bolts. You'll want these to be zinc coated if possible. Lengths are 110mm and 130mm. For the top bolt, some may need a bit longer and need 150mm. Some people use ARP head bolts. Part # is 641-4500.

5. Change out the oil. The oil it comes with is cheap break-in oil or whatever they put in. Head over to autozone and pick up a quart of oil for less than $15. Drain the oil out. Refill with new, good quality oil.

6. Change out the fuel lines. You may see stickers that say not to use ethanol containing fuel. The reason is that ethanol will destroy the rubber hoses. Head over to autozone, ebay, etc. and pick up some silicone fuel line. You can get this in different colors (if you want) and will not get destroyed by fuel containing ethanol.

7. If you have the ability to, you may want to consider fabricating a bottom plate support. Check the Facebook Groups "Clone Army" or "The Clone Society". People have welded a bottom plate support onto the frame.

Register your bike

As stated in the original post (post #1), the bikes you get regardless of who sells it (Venom, Kronik, Cajunmaddogs, etc.) will register as a Boom, Daix, or Taotao. See Post 1 for what the bike will register as.

When you buy a Grom clone, you should receive the MCO (manufacturer certificate of origin) and a bill of sale. You will need both these documents to register your motorcycle.

When you have those documents together, you'll need to get insurance. I had no issues with getting mine registered through State Farm.

Now that you have your insurance, you will need to take the bike and get it inspected. Depending on where you live and who is doing your inspection, you may or may not need to add a license plate light.

Once you have your proof of insurance, MCO, inspection, and bill of sale; you should be able to head over to the DMV and get your motorcycle registered.

Now... if you live close to a dealership, they may handle the registration for you. In which case you can skip most/all of this.

After you have the bike titled, you just need to keep up with your state's inspection cycle and renew the registration.

Last edited by wlfpck; 01-07-2022 at 11:22 AM.

Old 07-09-2019, 11:37 AM   #3

Replacing the Speedometer

This is the original post I made:

http://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=21374

The one that I ordered for my Icebear Fuerza at the time. I ordered this because one of the turn signal lights doesn't work on the dash (even though the turn signals did). Also, I wanted to see what spare parts were available and if there were plug and play aftermarket replacement parts so that you didn't have to go through the dealerships.

https://www.amazon.com/Samdo-Univers...iglink28144-20

I needed something that would be plug and play. So after tons of research and pulling the headlight off to get to the wiring, that the Icebear had 3 plugs coming from the dash. Then doing some Googling, found this wiring diagram that explains what each wire is:

I ended up keeping the factory speedometer on the bike since it has the mileage on it. However, I did plug it in and check things like revs/rpm while the bike was in neutral. Confirming that it all worked, I put the original back on. Bike was not ridden with the new speedometer.

Last edited by wlfpck; 01-13-2020 at 08:54 AM.

Old 11-25-2019, 09:41 AM   #4

Owner's Manual and Wiring Diagram

This is the Owner's Manual that comes with the Icebear Fuerza. Other bikes from my understanding don't even come with an owner's manual.

http://www.icebearatv.com/media/file/news3886Scan.pdf

Now as you go through this manual, you'll notice this appears to be more of the owners manual for the Boom Vader clone of the Honda Grom OG (first gen). The photos in the owner's manual match that of the Boom Vader but not of the Taotao Hellcat or the Icebear Fuerza (see the photo where it shows the side view of the bike). Also the Icebear Fuerza has automatic headlights like the Honda Grom. When you start the bike, the lights turn on. Seems like the Icebear Fuerza was set up to be as close to a Grom as possible.

Anyways...

In the back of the owner's manual, you'll find a wiring diagram. Using the broken English, I've attempted to label some things on the diagram (keep in mind that they have a legend, kind of, in the manual, however, it is in broken English. I made an attempt at labeling the stuff). You'll note that the wiring shows an on/off switch for the headlight in addition to the high beam. If you have an Icebear Fuerza... there is no headlight on/off switch.

NOTE: I do not take responsibility if anything on this wiring diagram is wrong or incorrect. I am not an electrician nor a professional mechanic. I wrote in stuff based on what was in the owner's manual and what I could interpret from it.

Understanding how the gear box works. Useful for any repairs or diagnosing issues.

This video is a great explanation on how the clutch/clutch basket and things work. This should be helpful to understanding things which helps in identifying problems. After watching this video, it should be apparent why there is a need to check your clutch cable and make sure it is adjusted properly.

Last edited by wlfpck; 01-07-2022 at 11:23 AM.

Old 01-13-2020, 08:30 AM   #5

Reserved for Future Info #4

Old 01-16-2020, 02:28 PM   #6

Reserved for Future Information #5

Old 03-23-2020, 07:22 PM   #7

Thats Awesome! Great detail in information man.

I bought my bike from Belmonte Bikes 2 years ago and still running fine...Not to mention their customer service is above expectation! I would recommend them to anyone!! They got the Gen II, Gen I, and the Icebear Fuerza motorcycles.

One thing I couldn't find is a PDF owners manual for the bike, were you ever able to dig one up for the BD125-10?

Old 03-30-2020, 10:52 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahkuusshh View Post
Thats Awesome! Great detail in information man.

I bought my bike from Belmonte Bikes 2 years ago and still running fine...Not to mention their customer service is above expectation! I would recommend them to anyone!! They got the Gen II, Gen I, and the Icebear Fuerza motorcycles.

One thing I couldn't find is a PDF owners manual for the bike, were you ever able to dig one up for the BD125-10?
Unfortunately I have not heard of any manual. If someone who has one wants to share it, I can probably host it on dropbox or something.

Old 05-15-2020, 02:47 PM   #9

Question 1: How do I get a bill of sale? Can I just print out the template and sign it?

Last edited by Redex00; 05-15-2020 at 03:27 PM.

Old 06-03-2020, 02:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redex00 View Post
Question 1: How do I get a bill of sale? Can I just print out the template and sign it?
You bill of sale should be mailed to you by the dealership you bought it from.

Old 10-15-2020, 11:41 AM   #11

I got a question. I just bought a used to a toa toa hellcat and noticed that a line coming from the gearbox (rear end of engine) is just free hanging and not connected to anything. There is also a filter attached that has some kind of crystallized milky substance in it. The bike has been riding fine and I only just now noticed this issue and was wondering where it’s supposed to link up and whether I can ignore it or not. Obviously if it does need hooked up I’ll probably need new fluid, filter, and connection tubing to complete the circuit.

Old 10-17-2020, 05:39 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elijah@adkins View Post
I got a question. I just bought a used to a toa toa hellcat and noticed that a line coming from the gearbox (rear end of engine) is just free hanging and not connected to anything. There is also a filter attached that has some kind of crystallized milky substance in it. The bike has been riding fine and I only just now noticed this issue and was wondering where it’s supposed to link up and whether I can ignore it or not. Obviously if it does need hooked up I’ll probably need new fluid, filter, and connection tubing to complete the circuit.
Sound like the carb fuel overflow hose or just a vacuum line leftover from replacing stock carb and emissions delete

Old 10-17-2020, 09:24 AM   #13

I bet it is venting the gearbox(and crankcase) to atmosphere. Look closely and it may be a cleanable 'filter' that is part of normal maintenance.
tom

Old 03-07-2022, 09:53 AM   #14

https://www.powersportsmax.com/produ...ducts_id/21973

Assembly and Maintain Guide Vader 125cc

Old 03-07-2022, 12:03 PM   #15

Is there a regular Shop Service Manual for my RX-PRO X7 Grom Clone? If not should I get a Honda Grom Service Manual?

Thanks in advance.

Also where are all the Boom Vader posts for these forums? hummm