Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2008, 05:11 PM   #1

ATVDiscounters on eBay bait & switch??

Hey all! I recently became a China Rider when I bought my son a Baja Motorsports DB70.Great bike,no problems at all.I`ve been riding for over 20 years,mostly quads.I`d like to get into dirtbikes,so I`ve been researching.I came across ATVDiscounters on eBay selling LF200-gy5 at a decent price.At the top of the first picture,it reads"Click here for more images."These pics are of a bike that has rear disc brakes.Going what MotoXtreme.com says "Real Lifans have rear drum brakes."Whats the deal??

Old 03-15-2008, 06:37 PM   #2

Re: ATVDiscounters on eBay bait & switch??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ream
Hey all! I recently became a China Rider when I bought my son a Baja Motorsports DB70.Great bike,no problems at all.I`ve been riding for over 20 years,mostly quads.I`d like to get into dirtbikes,so I`ve been researching.I came across ATVDiscounters on eBay selling LF200-gy5 at a decent price.At the top of the first picture,it reads"Click here for more images."These pics are of a bike that has rear disc brakes.Going what MotoXtreme.com says "Real Lifans have rear drum brakes."Whats the deal??
The American Lifan dealers are very quick to tell you that other Lifan bikes are NOT true Lifan, when in fact most are.

The accessories and features on a Lifan bike are depending on what the supplier ordered them with. (this topic comes up over and over and over here on the forums)... A Lifan can have drum brakes, disk brakes, counter balance engine or not, regular shocks or reverse,....get the picture. There is no such thing as a spicific Lifan Model Bike since the China company will make them in almost any configuration requested.

MotoXtreme sells "American Lifan" bikes which are different from the regular "Lifan" bikes in configuration only (sold by other dealers such as Rabbit Scooters or Hooper Imports and others). Besides the feature differences the AF bikes usually have a better warranty but along with that comes a much higher price. Don't be scared away by AF dealers telling you other Lifan outlets are selling fake Lifan bikes. Usually those other Lifan bikes are real, just different configurations. They are Lifan, but they are not American Lifan bikes.... (you need to pay specific attention to their wording).

Check out this thread and see the comparison I posted of an AF bike vs a Skygo bike.

http://chinariders.net/modules.php?n...=3161&start=15
2005 TANK Trail 200
2009 Lifan LY110GY-3 (2)

Old 03-15-2008, 07:28 PM   #3

Our bikes are CL bikes (China Lifan as I call them) which means they came from china mainland but they are also the same place/company that AL (American Lifan) gets their bikes from.
There are some subtle differences but not much.

Old 03-15-2008, 07:46 PM   #4

The best Lifan bikes I've seen are the Canadian Lifan bikes sold
by Coast-To-Coast.
2005 TANK Trail 200
2009 Lifan LY110GY-3 (2)

Old 03-15-2008, 09:58 PM   #5

Thanks for clearing that up.So,when I order my bike I should ask and make sure what features it has?About a month ago I went to a "dealer" in Nashville & was looking @ a 200cc enduro.While sitting on it I saw data decal that had Shineray on it.I asked the owner,"How does this bike compare to Lifan?" He was like,"Oh,Um this is a Lifan."I have not heard anything about Shineray & don`t want one. From I see Lifan is best bet out there.I`m also looking @ Apollo Orion AZX Pro 250,has anyone had any experience with these?

Old 03-16-2008, 12:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ream
Thanks for clearing that up.So,when I order my bike I should ask and make sure what features it has?About a month ago I went to a "dealer" in Nashville & was looking @ a 200cc enduro.While sitting on it I saw data decal that had Shineray on it.I asked the owner,"How does this bike compare to Lifan?" He was like,"Oh,Um this is a Lifan."I have not heard anything about Shineray & don`t want one. From I see Lifan is best bet out there.I`m also looking @ Apollo Orion AZX Pro 250,has anyone had any experience with these?
I don't know about being better, but Lifan seems to have the most support and are 'trying' to get a network setup in the USA of dealerships through the American Lifan group but the factory in China still sells to other dealerships in the USA too which causes the confusion about "real and not-real" Lifan bikes.

The HiBird bikes seem to be getting more popular, especially since they are 250 and not 200 (a tad more hp). Seems with most every China brand you will have plenty of have happy customers, but you will only hear from the few unhappy ones usually. Treat your bike right and usually it will do you well. Good luck with your search.
2005 TANK Trail 200
2009 Lifan LY110GY-3 (2)

Old 03-22-2008, 09:53 PM   #7

they legit

I bout mine from them. they have several stores. Try the site www.atvdiscounter.com

Old 03-23-2008, 09:56 AM   #8

Send a message via AIM to PorterzCustomz
hi, the bikes in their currect pics show drum brakes. I wounder if there is a way to convert them to disk and what parts you would need?

Old 03-23-2008, 12:51 PM   #9

The rear disc brakes on these bikes are problematic and IMO the drum brakes would have been much better and more reliable/trouble free.

Old 03-23-2008, 12:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorterzCustomz
hi, the bikes in their currect pics show drum brakes. I wounder if there is a way to convert them to disk and what parts you would need?
Also keep in mind that what you see may not be what you get....

Old 03-23-2008, 01:39 PM   #11

Send a message via AIM to PorterzCustomz
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamCheap
The rear disc brakes on these bikes are problematic and IMO the drum brakes would have been much better and more reliable/trouble free.
yay! way to make me feel better about my 60's style drum brakes on my 2008 dirt bike =)

Old 03-27-2008, 01:42 AM   #12

I would rather have a good working drum over my problematic disc.

Old 03-27-2008, 06:30 AM   #13

Drum brakes on D/S bikes are quite sufficient. Drum brakes will last pretty much the lifetime of the bike where pads will be wearing out, and also disks can be damaged much easier.

I would chose drum over brake if I had a choice.
2005 TANK Trail 200
2009 Lifan LY110GY-3 (2)

Old 03-27-2008, 09:55 AM   #14

Quote:
Drum brakes on D/S bikes are quite sufficient. Drum brakes will last pretty much the lifetime of the bike where pads will be wearing out, and also disks can be damaged much easier.

I would chose drum over brake if I had a choice.
You've obviously never negotiated down a steep hill with a wet rear drum. 8O

They _may_ not last as long, but I'll take the disc brakes any day of the week.

"The beatings will continue until moral improves"

Old 03-27-2008, 03:52 PM   #15

Guys, the disk break issue is an easy fix. It's not like they are a problem after the fix.
1995 Kawasaki Concours (ZG1000)