Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2019, 11:57 AM   #1

Tao Tao DB17 issue

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and hobby. Never had a bike before but had ridden it in the past. I recently bought a Chinese dirt/pit bike made by Tao Motors called DB17. I received it from the dealer and put it together which was fairly easy. Changed the oil right away using the recommended 15w40 (using Rotella T5) and put a high octane gas per instructions. Watch several YouTube videos, read several articles, and visited few sites making sure I do it right from start. Turned the ignition key to ON, put the kill switch to ON, made sure the fuel line is in the ON position, put the choke lever to full choke (UP position), made sure the bike is in neutral, then kicked the kickstart lever while putting a little bit of gas on the handle bar. It started on the second kick. It runs for about 15 seconds then it died. Tried it again and this time it is not starting. Gas was leaking and coming out of the carburetor/filter. I figured that maybe there's too much gas flowing using the full choke so I changed it to half. So tried starting it again and still seems it's flooded. I've tried it for about 10-15 times and then gave up. I turned everything OFF and waited for about 30 minutes. I've looked at the carburetor and the filter and looks like the gas had dried up. I tried starting it again doing the same steps from the start this time not using the choke at all. Kickstarted the bike and in the 4th try it runned. I can see a bit of smoke coming from the carb and filter and also a bit of gas spitting out. I revved it a bit to encourage the engine to keep running and making sure the gas flows through the line. It was running for a good 60 seconds then it died. Tried it again and this time it turned ON right away. The idle was good and I let it sit for about 10 minutes. I rode it around the block and shifting all the way to fourth. It was fine until the second round where it stalled on me. It feels like the engine boggs down when I squeeze the gas handle especially on the higher gears. I am thinking that the carburetor seems a bit out of tune. I read from a lot of different sites and reviews from different owners that the factory carburetor is a JUNK. A lot of people are suggesting to replace this part right off the bat with a Mikuni carburetor or alike. I want to hear from you guys if there's anything else I am missing or if there's something that I am doing wrong before exploring the replacement part route.

All your help will be gladly appreciated.

Regards,
Greg

Old 08-18-2019, 02:09 PM   #2

I have had my TBR7 for about 7 months. It sounds like your float valve is failing. The TBR7 has "tamper resistant" screws that hold the float bowl. I used a small bastard file to make slots so as to be able to remove them with flat tip screwdriver. You will need to get into this carburetor anyway to change the main jet. There is plenty of advice in this forum, but I ended up with #110 main... Anyway this bike is majorly lean and until I changed this jet the choke was half on to make any top end.

It may also be valve timing, possibly the intake is not closing.

Good luck

Old 09-03-2019, 11:53 PM   #3

Thanks for the suggestions.

I apologize for not getting back sooner.

I was able to get everything situated and it works flawlessly now.