Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2008, 11:52 PM   #1

United Motors DTF 200

I made the mistake of going by the local Kawasaki shop again. I just couldn't quit thinking about the UM enduro, so I went back for a test ride.
Everything about the DTF is leaps and bounds ahead of my Lifan. The frame is not even in the same league, it's a full frame and is double gusseted in high stress areas. The suspension has gobs of travel and is very compliant although the forks are not adjustable. Looking at the front wheel alone there are several things I saw that I liked. A large front hub laced with straight pull spokes, a huge front wave rotor and a twin pot calliper (same on the rear). The engine looks the same as my GY-5's, but behaves differently. It pulls much harder from idle and doesn't drop off after 7000 rpms like my bike does. The full exhaust is stainless steel, has an approved spark arrestor and makes a better noise than my Lifan's. I also like the digital dash. It's also a very tall bike, I'm 5'11" and had to tip sideways to get one foot flat on the ground. I didn't run the bike as hard as I run mine, but I think the top speed would be somewhere around 70mph.
I didn't buy the bike, but I think I just might. The problem I foresee is deciding between the street and trail or the 17" shod SMF motard version. Even with knobbies the DTF out handled my Lifan hands down, I plan on taking the SMF for a spin next.

I have said I won't get another 200, but the differences between the UM and Lifan are pretty big, enough so that I'm actually thinking about shelling out the $2700....

Old 03-16-2008, 05:07 AM   #2

So your talking about one of THESE?

At the price here at this dealer I might just go look at one although I myself would prefer to just get a serious bike like a drz400s instead.

Old 03-16-2008, 04:55 PM   #3

based on that picture it looks like the same counter-balanced engine that is in my gy5. 2700 seems quite steep for a churched up lifan.

Old 03-16-2008, 06:40 PM   #4

Did you look at the one in my link?

Quote:
United Motors of America 2007 DTF200 - MSRP $2,499 (Now Only $1,995)
That is a local dealer to me and I may just go look at one sometime next week just to get out of the house.
Yeah that price is about $700 more each than we paid for ours but that has a better warranty and hopefully better overall quality.
I dont plan to buy one but I would like to take a good look at one.

Old 03-16-2008, 07:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamCheap
So your talking about one of THESE?

At the price here at this dealer I might just go look at one although I myself would prefer to just get a serious bike like a drz400s instead.
That's the bike! I agree with you, I'd much rather have the DRZ, but I can pay cash for the DTF (after I sell my Yamaha) and have some change left over. The DRZ costs $6000 (twice the price of the DTF). I really think the UM would be a good bike despite not having the bells + whistles of a Japanese bike. Like I say, it is leagues ahead of my Lifan and the other Chinese bikes I have seen.

I had originally visited the Kawasaki shop to compare the UM 250 sportbike to the new '08 Ninja 250. I kept trying to ignore the DTF sitting in the parking lot, but broke down and went over to it. (I had a chance to ride one of the UM V2S 250-R's and was really impressed with it as well.)

Old 03-16-2008, 07:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MATT
based on that picture it looks like the same counter-balanced engine that is in my gy5. 2700 seems quite steep for a churched up lifan.
The similarities end with the engine, flat out, the two bikes don't really compare. If the DTF was just a polished version of the GY-5 I wouldn't have paid any attention to it. Just the size alone should be enough to tell the bikes aren't the same. The DTF dwarfed my GY-5 when sitting next to it.
The ride of the bike is really the part that got me... it's long legged and just soaks up the bumps that jar my kidneys on the Lifan. (I rode the DTF on my normal route home, so I had a good comparison.)

Old 03-16-2008, 07:29 PM   #7

That dealer is selling the 07 DTF for $1995 which I feel is a good price from a dealer and 1/3 the cost of a drz400.

I guess I'll really have to make an attempt to get out there and look at one.
I say it's a local dealer but they are still about a 45-60 minutes drive one way from my house but atleast it's out in the country.

Maybe I'll go out this saturday.

Old 03-16-2008, 11:21 PM   #8

I believe it's made by Zongshen.

SamM
2017 Coleman CT200U
1978 Yamaha SR500E
1979 Yamaha XS650 Special II

Old 03-16-2008, 11:39 PM   #9

[quote
I had originally visited the Kawasaki shop to compare the UM 250 sportbike to the new '08 Ninja 250. I kept trying to ignore the DTF sitting in the parking lot, but broke down and went over to it. (I had a chance to ride one of the UM V2S 250-R's and was really impressed with it as well.)[/quote]

Just to let you know the UM 250/650 are made by or with licence from Hyosung...If you can find a Hyosung dealer near you, you might get a better deal...here are some pics of the Comet 250/650, GT250/650. I ahd heard that the Ninja 250 made more power and is lighter... But the Vtwin engine in the Comet, might be more pleasant for around town... also the ergonomics are different.

Hyosung's URL
http://www.hyosungmotorsusa.com/default.asp

Comet 250

GT 250

Comet 650

GT 650

I got to sit on both the Comet 250, and the Ninja 250... Both are a bit to agressive a riding postion for me now, But the new 09 Ninja is REALLY light feeling.

Have a great day.
Ken

Old 03-16-2008, 11:51 PM   #10

I have a friend who rides a KTM D/S and his kids both ride XR90's. He doesn't think much of China bikes in general, but he does admit to kinda liking the United Motors bikes (he has seen some on D/S rides) and said if he ever did consider any Chinese bike it would be a UM. I've never seen one in person to compare, but the pic's look good.
2005 TANK Trail 200
2009 Lifan LY110GY-3 (2)

Old 03-17-2008, 12:06 AM   #11

For just riding around I lke the positioning of the Ninja a bit better. Plus the Kaw has a large following and better support. The prices are within $100 of each other. If I don't get sidetracked by the DTF, I will get the Little Ninja. Darn thing handles very very well and has plenty of power. My TDM has close to 80hp and 78 ft/lbs torque... seldom ever have a chance/need to use it. I really don't mind trading the HP for MPG either!
The UM/Hyosung 650 is the same price as the Suzuki SV 650... I wouldn't even consider NOT getting the Suzuki in favor of the 650GT. But, I refuse to go into debt, so I'm sticking to bikes I can have completely paid for before I ride away from the showroom. My short list is the Ninja 250, DTF (or SMF) 200, or the used 2002 KLR 650 they have. I'm going ta ask about the $1995 price... if I can get the DTF for that price it will cinch the deal and I'll have a new DTF.

Old 03-17-2008, 01:57 AM   #12

Hyosung makes excellent bikes. I came VERY close to getting the Comet GT250 until I went with the crappy Tank 250 2i. Good quality, good power. In any event, I was visiting my sister about 3 weeks ago and I rode her husband's DTF. Man, that is one great bike! Hauls butt, handles well, good fit. My next new bike will be a Hyosung...for sure!

Old 03-17-2008, 06:53 AM   #13

Send a message via MSN to Suprsignet
Hyosung's are Korean bikes and are not made in China. The bikes don't look bad, but I've never been on one. I wonder if they come with a free kimchi fridge

Old 03-17-2008, 11:38 AM   #14

The Hyosung Company is Korean. That doesn't mean everything they sell is made in Korea. They have a partnership with UM and sell some of the same bikes. They source parts and I'm sure some of their bikes from China. Some of the UM bikes use Zongshen engines. Mostly the dualsport bikes. Chinese labor costs are very cheap even when compared to Korean labor costs.

SamM
2017 Coleman CT200U
1978 Yamaha SR500E
1979 Yamaha XS650 Special II

Old 03-17-2008, 07:28 PM   #15

Send a message via MSN to Suprsignet
Sam I'm aware of this. Apart from living in China for a few years I spent 3 years living in Korea, learninng Korean and trying my best to understand the culture.

I would aagree that some sourcing might be done from CHina bbut you have to understand that the cultural mind set behind a Chinese company and a Korean company are really quite different. While both countries don't like doing their own R&D on a lot of products (samsung does a lot of work in computers, but we;re talking about bikes and cars here, right?) The Koreans try to do it in a different way. The best way to discribe it would be in Korea, Koreans build stuff as cheap as humanly possible (sourced from china or not) but try as hard as they can to make it look like something expensive.

In China people are happy just to make something that is cheap and looks cheap.

I was actually suprised to see Hyosung selling bikes outside of Korea last year. As Korea, like China has a certian dislike of motorcycles and motorcycles in Korea in general are greaty frowned upon.